Tiny village is latest victim of the 'The hum'

USAMomma

Jul 14, 2010
It is a mysterious sound on the very edge of perception that has driven thousands of people around the world to distraction.

Now a tiny English village is the latest community to claim to be being hit by the phenomenon known as "the hum".
Residents of Woodland, in County Durham, claim that every night a noise permeates the air similar to the throb of a car engine.
It is sometimes so strong that it even shakes the bed of one of the householders.
But no matter how hard they look, the community cannot find the source of the problem and, at their wits end, have called in the council to investigate.
The 300-strong population is the latest around the world to be hit by the rumble which has in the past led to wild conspiracy theories blaming it on UFOs, government experiments and abandoned mine shafts.

Tiny village is latest victim of the 'The hum' - Telegraph

Interesting. I have not ever heard of this "hum" but do know when the power is being used more, end of the day it seems the power lines around the trails we hike along have a buzzing sound. Any of you ever notice anything like this?

Last edited by a moderator:
The house I lived in 10 years ago had a similar noise. It tended to start at night about
8pm. It would grow in intensity, sometimes waking me up late in the night. I tried
turning the electricity off - even asking my neighbour to do the same to see if it was
coming from his house! My wife could hear it, but it did'nt bother her as much as me.
One night it got so bad I had to get out of the house. If I put my head out the window
it stopped. In the end I sold the house and moved to another town!! It drove me nuts
because I could'nt find out what it was.

Buried alien spaceships coming back to life......... The invasion is eminent. :eusa_whistle:

I even have pictures........

445750-crashedalienship_super.jpg

Yeah, I guess it does sound a bit nuts. The night I mentioned I had to get out of the
house, I went to my mothers house, which was about a mile away from mine. She was
in the hospital at the time, so I thought I could spend the night there and get a bit of
peace. When I arrived I lay on her bed, after a few seconds my ears pricked!! I could
hear the same humming noise. I jumped off the bed, looked out of all her upstairs
windows looking for something to source the sound - nothing. I really thought I was
going nuts. If we stayed at my wife's parents home 20 miles away there was no sound.
So as I said, I sold up and moved!! End of problem.

Seems top me that the source of "hum" could be disovered easily enough.

Place sensors in multiple places around the villiage to determine its volume. the trajectory of it getting louder in some spots and softer in others will point to its source.

Unless of course it's the same volume everywhere in the village.

Now that would be truly strange.

I've heard a noise like that before, it's like a far away factory. I hear it in the early morning hours and if I try to walk towards it, I can never get to a point where I discover it. I open the door and listen outside and it isn't there. I turn off everything and it is still there.

It's nebulous and just beyond my grasp. I eventually ignore it or it stops.

I hate the sound of an automobile parked and running too, no matter how quietly.

Forum List

Back