Time to vent! Teacher will be held accountable!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Trinity, Apr 9, 2005.

1. Trinity

Trinity VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +79
    My 8 year old who is in the third grade brought his report card home yesterday, from school. Now keep in mind this child has always been on the A/B honor roll. I am a very active parent in both of my children's classrooms and have pretty regular contact with their teacher's.

So when I saw my son's report card I flipped out! He had an F in science which is one of his better subjects, he also had a science fair project that was a large part of this grade, he got a B on the project! I guess the reason I am so pissed off about this is why if he was having a problem of some sort was I not notified either by a note or a phone call. I have told both of his teacher's on numerous occasions if he has any problems with anything, please notify me so I can work on them with him!

The funny thing is his first report card he had an 82 in science, 2nd report card he had a 92. How do you go from the highest B you can get to an F in nine weeks? All of his papers that he has brought home have been mostly A's and B's. Matter of fact his progress report he brought home 4 weeks ago said he was doing just fine in science!

I am just completly baffled here and will be going into the school come Monday morning to speak with this teacher! I am so not happy with this school district!

Here's a funny thing. There is a child that I watch who is in my son's class as well, and I have seen his paper's that he has brought home from school, they are mostly C's, D's and F's but he got a C in Science :wtf:

2. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +620
    Sounds like a transcription error to me.

3. Nienna

Nienna Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    You know my issues with the same teaching team. I know the one teacher was pregnant, but still... isn't she supposed to do her job? Not returning phone calls, not showing up for conference time, I got the principal involved, so she actually came to a meeting. But she was all defensive. My basic message was "If you could somehow let me know what the child is doing before the tests, I could work with her." She said, "Well, we send home the newsletter every week." The newsletter says "multiplication facts." So I'm going over and over the times tables with her... 3x9, 6x8, etc. Well, she brings home a paper with a 54%. The problems were 316x4, 972x6!!!!!!!!! Well, Trinity, you have heard it all already. And I consider myself to be a very even-tempered, reasonable person.

Anyway, we can thank the Lord for maternity leave and long-term subs!

Go talk to the sub. She is GREAT!!! In the past week, I saw her once in the classroom, and have received Abbie's agenda notebook three times. She also wrote me a note, that Abbie had helped out without being asked, and said I "have a very nice daughter." (Mother's chest swells) They still have 9 weeks. He can bring up the grade, although you still have the old teacher for science.

4. Trinity

Trinity VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +79

That's a really big transcription error! Someone is going to have a lot of explaining to do!

5. Trinity

Trinity VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +79

Yeah, Don't you just love the very vague newsletters!!!

I guess I am just disgusted with the whole district, 2nd grade was bad the kid didn't learn anything, now third grade isn't much better!

6. Nienna

Nienna Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    I think you have just had bad luck with teachers. This is the first year we have had problems. I just went into this whole thing with the attitude "I am responsible for my child's education." Now, the teachers, of course, need to do their jobs. But I think the kid can still make it through okay if the parent stays involved, despite bad teachers.

7. Trinity

Trinity VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +79

Yeah I wonder sometimes why I even bother sending them to school, seeing that most of their education is coming from me!

8. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +157
    Maybe your son has learned the fine art of changing an 'F' into a 'B'. It's not that hard, really.

9. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    Two words: private school.

10. Trinity

Trinity VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +79
    Yeah I have seriously been considering private school!

Especially after going in and talking to his science teacher today.

According to her he had 4 missing assignments and a missing test that she claims she gave him, and told him to do and turn in. Well I asked her did you ask him where they were at? No she didn't,well let's see he's 8 and you give him assignments, and tell him to do them in study hall, but don't follow up on where they are! Ok fine, however why did I not recieve a note telling me these assignments were not turned in? How can I do my job as a parent when there is a problem with his assignments, if I do not know there is a problem!

God I hate this school. You know if the communication is this bad now with me having been a stay at home mom, jeez I can only imagine how bad it is going to be when I am working full time and can't get into the school at all!