Time To Reassess

Discussion in 'Middle East - General' started by Annie, Nov 11, 2006.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I don't think this will come to pass, but I think it should. We'll see what the new Congress decides. I do not think Gates is going to become DOD, if not, who?

http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/012/933jaydy.asp

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Adam's Apple

Adam's Apple Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +447
    Food for thought for everyone in that article, Kathianne.

Last night on one of the cable talk shows, there were two veterans from the Iraq war who zeroed in with their opinions. They thought the war can be won, our military is capable of pulling this off, all that is needed is time to get the job done. They were complimentary of the strides being made by the Iraqi military and police.

To me, their message to the American people was be patient, support the effort and give it time to succeed. With our prevalent "I want results now!" attitude, I wonder how many converts they made.

3. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Yeah, the problem with Americans and our strength is impatience. We are always in a hurry and get bored too quickly. I think some of the naysaying on ADHD comes from the fact that we all have it. (Ok, I'm exaggerating!)

4. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Problem is, the sheep have run out of patience. The attention span has been stretched to the limit. We need an asterisk next to "resolve" that reads: as long as ti happens within 3-5 years max.

5. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I have to agree. At the same time I have this awful feeling that something will happen before a pullout can occur, that will change their minds or stiffen their spines once again.

6. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Now this doesn't bode well. Of course it's from my very own :finger: Senator, Turbin Durbin:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061111/ap_on_go_co/warrantless_wiretaps

7. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Realistically speaking, whether or not we pull out tomorrow or twenty years from now, tribal feudalism, religious fanaticism from within, and religious fanatics imported by terrorist groups aren't going to go away. They are a fact of life in the Middle East in all nations. Look how long Israel has been fighting terrorism.

The goal, IMO, is to leave the Iraqi government powerful enough to stand on its own without us. Hopefully, they won't take the chapter from our book on "resolve," or they won't last long.

There DOES have to be a time though, when this comes about, but not some arbitrary timeline set by politicians appeasing impatient people with short attention spans and no sense of integrity to finish what they started.

I also think we have done a remarkable jog in Iraq considering we are doing it the hard way; meaning, kissing politically correct ass instead of kicking it.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I agree. BTW I meant the 'spine' of the sheep. ;) not the Iraqis, they don't seem to have the jellyfish problem.

9. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    The Dems are loonies trying to live in some idealistic "have your cake and eat it too" world. They say they're all for combatting terrorism and are quick to point fingers when something happens while at the same time refusing anyone the tools to get the job done.

10. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I am seriously hoping that the majority are of a different ilk than he. I know, it may be :tinfoil: