Time for the GOP to deploy a nuclear option on Trump.

SwimExpert

Gold Member
Nov 26, 2013
There are a few 'nuclear' options that are available. At this point, whether Trump's campaign really is a fifth column attack against the GOP or a sincere example of the highest depths of stupidity, two things are painfully obvious: 1) Nominating Donald Trump would be a disaster for the Republican Party; 2) A Trump Presidency would be a disaster for the country worse than Obama.

There are three main nuclear options that available to the Republican Party to prevent this from happening.

1 - The RNC nuclear option

Ultimately, the selection of a party nominee is governed by a party. There are various state election laws that may apply to state parties, but the act of nomination occurs at the Republican National Convention; the national party is not subject to any obligations of various state requirements and is under no obligation to welcome any delegate sent by state parties. The Republican National Committee has within it's power to take action (though they would have to do so fast) to amend the rules of the Convention to prevent Trump's nomination through a direct attack. For example, the Committee could enact a rule that would disqualify any delegate who is bound to Trump. Even more direct, the Committee could decree Trump as ineligible to receive the party's nomination. In doing so, the Committee could also employ a substitution scheme, whereby any delegates bound to Trump, sent by states, will be replaced by delegates selected by the Committee, and be bound to other candidates such as to proportionally allocate delegates to all those candidates based primary results after subtracting votes for Trump. That is to say, delegates be awarded to candidates proportionately after discarding votes for Trump.

2 - Forcing constitutional contingencies with independent Republican candidate

If the Republican party fails to prevent Trump's nomination, another nuclear option available would be to shun support for Trump and for the Republican National Committee to back a runner up candidate via an independent campaign. While independent campaigns tend to be notoriously unfruitful, one of the main reasons for that is the fact that an independent must attempt to prevail against the combined resources of the the two major parties. If the RNC were to decline providing support for Trump and instead provide support for an alternate Republican running as an independent, combined with the special nature of such an event, the chances of success are much greater.

The reason success would be possible is that the goal in this case would not be much lower. Instead of seeking an absolute majority of 270 electors, the goal would become simply gaining some electors, enough to prevent an absolute majority. This would force the selection of President to move into the constitutionally prescribed contingencies. The House would, by state delegations, select the President from among the three candidates receiving the most electoral votes. And because Republicans would have the majority caucus in this scenario, the Republicans would be free to select the alternate candidate.

3 - Forcing constitutional contingencies through disqualification of electoral votes

The votes of electors are qualified during a joint session of Congress. Although uncommon, the votes of electors from a given state can be objected to, provided that the objection is made in writing and is signed by at least one member of each house. When a proper objection is made, the counting of the electoral votes is suspended and each house separately considers and votes on whether to uphold the objection. In January 2001 several HOR members objected to the votes Florida's electors, but the objections were not indulged because no member of the Senate would sign them. But in the case of the 1872 and 1876 elections, objections were made, and resulted in some electoral votes being rejected and disqualified.

If the Republican party were to fail to prevent Trump's nomination, and if Trump were to somehow manage to be successful in a general election, Congressional Republicans could still prevent Trump from ever assuming office by objecting to just enough electoral votes cast for Trump so as to reduce his total to less than an absolute majority. As long as the independent candidate in scenario two above receives at least one electoral vote, this third option would remain available. Once again, constitutional contingencies would take effect and the HOR would select the President.

There are a few 'nuclear' options that are available. At this point, whether Trump's campaign really is a fifth column attack against the GOP or a sincere example of the highest depths of stupidity, two things are painfully obvious: 1) Nominating Donald Trump would be a disaster for the Republican Party; 2) A Trump Presidency would be a disaster for the country worse than Obama.

There are three main nuclear options that available to the Republican Party to prevent this from happening.

1 - The RNC nuclear option

Ultimately, the selection of a party nominee is governed by a party. There are various state election laws that may apply to state parties, but the act of nomination occurs at the Republican National Convention; the national party is not subject to any obligations of various state requirements and is under no obligation to welcome any delegate sent by state parties. The Republican National Committee has within it's power to take action (though they would have to do so fast) to amend the rules of the Convention to prevent Trump's nomination through a direct attack. For example, the Committee could enact a rule that would disqualify any delegate who is bound to Trump. Even more direct, the Committee could decree Trump as ineligible to receive the party's nomination. In doing so, the Committee could also employ a substitution scheme, whereby any delegates bound to Trump, sent by states, will be replaced by delegates selected by the Committee, and be bound to other candidates such as to proportionally allocate delegates to all those candidates based primary results after subtracting votes for Trump. That is to say, delegates be awarded to candidates proportionately after discarding votes for Trump.

2 - Forcing constitutional contingencies with independent Republican candidate

If the Republican party fails to prevent Trump's nomination, another nuclear option available would be to shun support for Trump and for the Republican National Committee to back a runner up candidate via an independent campaign. While independent campaigns tend to be notoriously unfruitful, one of the main reasons for that is the fact that an independent must attempt to prevail against the combined resources of the the two major parties. If the RNC were to decline providing support for Trump and instead provide support for an alternate Republican running as an independent, combined with the special nature of such an event, the chances of success are much greater.

The reason success would be possible is that the goal in this case would not be much lower. Instead of seeking an absolute majority of 270 electors, the goal would become simply gaining some electors, enough to prevent an absolute majority. This would force the selection of President to move into the constitutionally prescribed contingencies. The House would, by state delegations, select the President from among the three candidates receiving the most electoral votes. And because Republicans would have the majority caucus in this scenario, the Republicans would be free to select the alternate candidate.

3 - Forcing constitutional contingencies through disqualification of electoral votes

The votes of electors are qualified during a joint session of Congress. Although uncommon, the votes of electors from a given state can be objected to, provided that the objection is made in writing and is signed by at least one member of each house. When a proper objection is made, the counting of the electoral votes is suspended and each house separately considers and votes on whether to uphold the objection. In January 2001 several HOR members objected to the votes Florida's electors, but the objections were not indulged because no member of the Senate would sign them. But in the case of the 1872 and 1876 elections, objections were made, and resulted in some electoral votes being rejected and disqualified.

If the Republican party were to fail to prevent Trump's nomination, and if Trump were to somehow manage to be successful in a general election, Congressional Republicans could still prevent Trump from ever assuming office by objecting to just enough electoral votes cast for Trump so as to reduce his total to less than an absolute majority. As long as the independent candidate in scenario two above receives at least one electoral vote, this third option would remain available. Once again, constitutional contingencies would take effect and the HOR would select the President.

No!

I want Trump to be the GOP candidate, and I want him to win so I can play my fiddle while Rome burns!

----

Now being serious if the GOP took any of your choices would make sure the GOP will die, and a split in the political party will happen.

If the GOP supporters want Trump as their Candidate then let the cards fall as they may, and I doubt Trump could win a national election. I also do not believe Trump is serious with the nonsense he is spewing and is just getting the radical base to vote for him so he can garner the GOP nomination and then tone down his comments or even flip-flop on the issues causing him to lose the National Election.

The Tea Party can win the House and Senate easier than winning the White House, and if Trump is the GOP and carries on with the way he has been going then I have no doubt the GOP will lose all 57 states... ( I know there is only fifty states )

• Banned
If the GOP supporters want Trump as their Candidate then let the cards fall as they may, and I doubt Trump could win a national election.

You know, I said the same thing about Democrats in 2008 supporting Obama. The cards fell, and it was bad. Don't want to see that again.

I think it's absolutely perfect that Donald Trump be the GOP candidate. It's good news for Democrats.

If the GOP supporters want Trump as their Candidate then let the cards fall as they may, and I doubt Trump could win a national election.

You know, I said the same thing about Democrats in 2008 supporting Obama. The cards fell, and it was bad. Don't want to see that again.

Yeah, I am still trying to figure out how the hell Mitt Romeny lost the 2012 election. I mean I understood how McCain lost because of age, Paling, and Bush, but 2012 made me realize America need to remove it head from their ass.

Now with that said the fact still remains if the GOP voters select Trump then let them run him, and if he win the election then I will stick my head between my legs and kiss my rear goodbye!

One thing is certain about Trump. He has overstayed his welcome and needs to move on. This guy has about as much justification being President as has Daffy Duck. How tough would he be as president? "you don't want to know, I would be really, really tough" says he. Yes, right, ok Donaldo. Does he think this is a game? And what about when ISIS bitch slaps him? What then? This guy needs to go home before he gets many Americans killed with his mouth.

The GOP has given their base Bob Dole/McCain/Romney. And now they want to give the base Bush.

Trump's numbers are so high because the establishment is trying to control another election and the base is pissed right off. As well they should be. And the more they try to meddle the higher his numbers will go.

Ditto on the freaking *cough* main stream media. They keep driving his numbers up.

You were wrong and ridiculous then and you're wrong and ridiculous now.

okay, I'm going to cut you off right here, buddy.

I agree, Trump would be a horrible President, not that we've had a good one since Reagan.

But if he gets the most votes, he should be President. Trying to find some legal manuever to invalidate the people's decision, which is what George W. Bush did in 2000, would be a lot worse for the country than anything Trump could do as President.

Frankly, Trump might be the president we deserve, even if he isn't the President we need.

"Shun support"? Is this the Amish option? The best advice for the GOP is to ignore idiot left wing idiotic suggestions designed to save the only democrat option, an abused, angry and perhaps psychotic victim of domestic abuse.

The least you could do is swallow for the man. It's only polite. In the meantime, Obama has made for a fairly mediocre President. His biggest failing has been his lack of experience in the game impeding him from being an able leader.

I agree, Trump would be a horrible President, not that we've had a good one since Reagan.

But if he gets the most votes, he should be President. Trying to find some legal manuever to invalidate the people's decision, which is what George W. Bush did in 2000, would be a lot worse for the country than anything Trump could do as President.

Frankly, Trump might be the president we deserve, even if he isn't the President we need.

And the far left runs their narratives without question or hesitation..

Another far left drone running the religious narrative..

The least you could do is swallow for the man. It's only polite. In the meantime, Obama has made for a fairly mediocre President. His biggest failing has been his lack of experience in the game impeding him from being an able leader.

His biggest failing has been his unwillingness to play hardball with the Republican Assholes like Clinton did.

I think it's absolutely perfect that Donald Trump be the GOP candidate. It's good news for Democrats.
Shouldn't America matter though? Like not electing Hillary? Talk about DISASTER

Don't elect trump. He scares liberals.
Marco Rubio doesn't scare anyone....he's cute and cuddly. Hillary will sit him on her lap and rock him to sleep.

Trump==WINNER!!!!

You have a problem with politics in politics?

Trump should not be President. And frankly, deploying a nuclear option on his candidacy is exactly the thing that the GOP needs to re-energize the public's faith in the party. Firm, decisive action to eliminate bullshit is a defining characteristic of great leadership.

Forum List

Back