Time for a Brief History about our News

peach174

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
S.E. AZ
We have always had our news (newspapers at the time) formenting party issues, exaggerating the different issues and instigating controversies. At the time Federalists and Republicans held a low opinion of the press.
A letter written in 1807 by Thomas Jefferson declared "that the man who never looks into a newspaper is better informed than he who reads them, inasmuch as he who knows nothing is nearer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors".
It's the American way, our political parties have never liked out press.
It's called the 1st amendment to our Constitution

The Point?
As Americans we muct keep ourselves educated and well informed.
Look up the bills being passed by our congress and read them yourself - go to thomas.gov.
Go right to the source of everything to get correct information.

If your looking for a link ,I don't have one. This information came from a history book.

Because it's fun, we have to see what it's all about and then we get addicted to it.
I'd rather be addicted to new fangeled gaggets than anything else.

I still have my 45's and 33's and I still listen to them.
I loved the shows when they were live and you could laugh at the mistakes that they made. Man that was good tv.

Well we certainly got way off the topic here.
Let's get back to how the news is still the same as it was was back then.

Pre- 70’s news casts were pretty much expected to lose money, this accounts for the fewer news casts, each net had theirs and the local affiliates at well, the main thrust being to get eyeballs via a better anchor or anchor team to keep you tuned into their channel.

Electronic News Gathering developed in the 70’s (video tape and the proliferation of color etc.) gave affiliates and locales the ability to turn a dollar on news casts, once the Nets saw the future and bent their will to make it so, it was to a large an extent over. Its a noise box now with each trying to out do the other, with pretty faces, journalism takes a back seat to the circus so to speak.

We were doing the same thing way back then as we are doing now in our news, we just have so much more now because of tv, and the internet.
Nothing has changed with the media.

The powerful news commentator Walter Cronkite changed America with a lie. Shortly after America's hard fought victory of TET during the VietNam war Cronkite rushed to VietNam, put on a helmet and flack jacket and pretended to be under fire and pronounced the TET victory to be a "stalemate". The press release caused LBJ to cry and tell the world he had enough and was conceding defeat. Actually LBJ shocked Americans by saying he chose not to run for another term. Translated it meant that he chose to abandon the South VietNamese just when victory was close.

The powerful news commentator Walter Cronkite changed America with a lie. Shortly after America's hard fought victory of TET during the VietNam war Cronkite rushed to VietNam, put on a helmet and flack jacket and pretended to be under fire and pronounced the TET victory to be a "stalemate". The press release caused LBJ to cry and tell the world he had enough and was conceding defeat. Actually LBJ shocked Americans by saying he chose not to run for another term. Translated it meant that he chose to abandon the South VietNamese just when victory was close.

This is a lovely fairy tale. T'aint at all true, but it's a charmer.

Still claiming there was a "light at the end of the tunnel"? I turned against the war when I realized we'd been in it longer than WW II. WTF, if we weren't going to invade NV, we were never going to win.

Forum List

Back