Tillerson urges "kindness" in a "mean-spirited town"...

aaronleland

Diamond Member
May 19, 2012
Tillerson urges 'kindness' in a 'mean-spirited town' during farewell remarks

Secretary of State Rex Tillerson on Thursday praised the department's employees and urged "kindness" in what he called "a very mean-spirited town" during his final remarks as the nation's chief diplomat.

Tillerson emphasized values of respect and dignity and called for employees to perform "one act of kindness" each day.

"This can be a very mean-spirited town," Tillerson said to a round of laughs and applause. "But you don’t have to choose to participate in that."

The remarks came more than a week after President Trumpunceremoniously fired Tillerson in a tweet, and simultaneously announced that he had tapped CIA Director Mike Pompeo for the post.

“Never lose sight of your most valuable asset, the most valuable asset you possess: your personal integrity,” Tillerson said Thursday, adding, “Only you can relinquish it or allow it to be compromised. Once you’ve done so, it is very, very hard to regain it.”

“I hope you will continue to treat each other with respect,” he continued. “Regardless of the job title, the station in life or your role, everyone is important to the State Department. We’re all just human beings trying to do our part.”

I question his statement about integrity after sticking by a man he obviously hated for so long, but otherwise a pretty good farewell speech.

Secretary of State Rex Tillerson on Thursday praised the department's employees and urged "kindness" in what he called "a very mean-spirited town" during his final remarks as the nation's chief diplomat.

Tillerson emphasized values of respect and dignity and called for employees to perform "one act of kindness" each day.

"This can be a very mean-spirited town," Tillerson said to a round of laughs and applause. "But you don’t have to choose to participate in that."

The remarks came more than a week after President Trumpunceremoniously fired Tillerson in a tweet, and simultaneously announced that he had tapped CIA Director Mike Pompeo for the post.

“Never lose sight of your most valuable asset, the most valuable asset you possess: your personal integrity,” Tillerson said Thursday, adding, “Only you can relinquish it or allow it to be compromised. Once you’ve done so, it is very, very hard to regain it.”

“I hope you will continue to treat each other with respect,” he continued. “Regardless of the job title, the station in life or your role, everyone is important to the State Department. We’re all just human beings trying to do our part.”

I question his statement about integrity after sticking by a man he obviously hated for so long, but otherwise a pretty good farewell speech.
Unfortunately, he's just pissing into the wind. The tribes are dug in now.

A CEO's ego is no match for that of a national politician or a hardcore partisan. Not even close.

A CEO's ego is no match for that of a national politician or a hardcore partisan. Not even close.

I've stopped blaming the politicians. It's the hyper-partisan voters. Yeah, Clinton and Trump was a clusterfuck, but we have seen some respectable campaigns in recent years. Obama vs. McCain comes to mind. While debating policies they were nonstop defending each other's character throughout the campaign. Then after a fairly respectful, hard fought campaign we saw calls for Obama's birth certificate, accusations that he is a Muslim, and even people calling him the anti-Christ. This wasn't McCain. This was the people who voted for him.

I've stopped blaming the politicians. It's the hyper-partisan voters. Yeah, Clinton and Trump was a clusterfuck, but we have seen some respectable campaigns in recent years. Obama vs. McCain comes to mind. While debating policies they were nonstop defending each other's character throughout the campaign. Then after a fairly respectful, hard fought campaign we saw calls for Obama's birth certificate, accusations that he is a Muslim, and even people calling him the anti-Christ. This wasn't McCain. This was the people who voted for him.
Very fair point. It could easily be argued that the politicians are simply reflecting their constituents, and their constituents have largely pretty much lost their shit.

That's even fuckin' SCARIER.

Forum List

Back