Three reasons food prices will skyrocket

That is why food is more expensive today than it was decades ago in dollar terms.

dear, all things are more expensive and the whole world knows it. Do you know what you're point is?

computer memory is way cheaper.

yes but tech stuff doesn't count, what counts is the general price level, not the price of food or memory.
The general price level is determined by the prices of all the specific things that actually have prices...so yes they do count.

That is why food is more expensive today than it was decades ago in dollar terms.

dear, all things are more expensive and the whole world knows it. Do you know what you're point is?

computer memory is way cheaper.

yes but tech stuff doesn't count, what counts is the general price level, not the price of food or memory.
The general price level is determined by the prices of all the specific things that actually have prices...so yes they do count.

dear tech and food are left because prices are naturally too volatile. Please just ask questions and don't assert yourself here.

I was describing why all things, including food, are more expensive. Try to keep up.

no dear, you picked food as an example when it is not picked by Fed because it is not representative. Got it now?

I was describing why all things, including food, are more expensive. Try to keep up.

no dear, you picked food as an example when it is not picked by Fed because it is not representative. Got it now?
I picked food as an example because that is the topic of this thread silly. I then described why food prices rise over the long term. It really is not a hard argument to grasp.

I picked food as an example because that is the topic of this thread silly. I then described why food prices rise over the long term. It really is not a hard argument to grasp.

dear title is 3 reasons, you picked only monetary policy which was worst reason since food is not represetative.

dear title is 3 reasons, you picked only monetary policy which was worst reason since food is not represetative.
Expansionary monetary policy is the driving force behind long-term increases in the price of food. And based on where this discussion is going, I am going to end it there. You have yet to make a coherent post, so I can only follow this advice.

1. The environment is changing. Drought will affect huge parts of America.

2. The deaths of bees.

3. Immigrant policies leave no one to pick crops.
those dam Republicans.....

I know, right?

1. The environment is changing. Drought will affect huge parts of America. (Republicans don't believe in climate change or spending money to help this country. Only Iraq. They will stop us from doing anything until too late. Then they will blame it on Democrats for not stopping them. Just like they did in Iraq.)

2. The deaths of bees. (Remember when McCain and Palin laughed about that? When McCain was running for president? Republicans don't believe in science. They will block us from doing anything until bees are extinct.)

3. Immigrant policies leave no one to pick crops. (The problem is already being felt from Washington State to Florida. Farmers in Georgia and North Carolina have been particularly hard hit from draconian GOP immigration laws leaving crops to rot in the fields. It will be interesting to see the damage done just this year by GOP policies which won't be reported until after the midterms.)

By the end of this year, Republicans will have really screwed over this country. Maybe even worse than under Bush but probably not. I don't see how they could top that for a while.
With obama unemployment numbers and people loosing their unemployment benefits there are plenty of Americans that will do the job. stop lying dean

2. The deaths of bees.

I know, right?

1. The environment is changing. Drought will affect huge parts of America. (Republicans don't believe in climate change or spending money to help this country. Only Iraq. They will stop us from doing anything until too late. Then they will blame it on Democrats for not stopping them. Just like they did in Iraq.)

2. The deaths of bees. (Remember when McCain and Palin laughed about that? When McCain was running for president? Republicans don't believe in science. They will block us from doing anything until bees are extinct.)

3. Immigrant policies leave no one to pick crops. (The problem is already being felt from Washington State to Florida. Farmers in Georgia and North Carolina have been particularly hard hit from draconian GOP immigration laws leaving crops to rot in the fields. It will be interesting to see the damage done just this year by GOP policies which won't be reported until after the midterms.)

By the end of this year, Republicans will have really screwed over this country. Maybe even worse than under Bush but probably not. I don't see how they could top that for a while.
With obama unemployment numbers and people loosing their unemployment benefits there are plenty of Americans that will do the job. stop lying dean
Not true, actually. In CA, for example, Americans were not rushing to fill vacant farming jobs, despite huge demand for them.

Farmers in California Struggling to Find Workers To Help With Crops Fox News Latino

Even with so many American citizens out of work, they just aren’t rushing for the fields for these jobs.

“We’ve tried hiring through EDD. Most people don’t even show up number one," Goehring said. "The few who do will actually just come out and slip off quietly without being noticed, and I’ve never had one return the second day."

Experts said that tighter immigration laws and the drug war along the border have contributed to the shortage. A recent Pew Hispanic Center Study shows that more Mexicans are leaving the United States rather than entering.

I'm not sure. With nanny state benefits still so high many choose to not to work and freeload off family friends etc who have good nanny state benefits or make their money on the street with drugs mostly.

2. The deaths of bees.

I know, right?

Not true, actually. In CA, for example, Americans were not rushing to fill vacant farming jobs, despite huge demand for them.

Farmers in California Struggling to Find Workers To Help With Crops Fox News Latino

Even with so many American citizens out of work, they just aren’t rushing for the fields for these jobs.

“We’ve tried hiring through EDD. Most people don’t even show up number one," Goehring said. "The few who do will actually just come out and slip off quietly without being noticed, and I’ve never had one return the second day."

Experts said that tighter immigration laws and the drug war along the border have contributed to the shortage. A recent Pew Hispanic Center Study shows that more Mexicans are leaving the United States rather than entering.

if true then prices should be going up! CA somehow picks its crops, still. I think the farmers are bluffing about no workers. Its simple supply and demand. IF you got no workers you raise wages till you ge them.

2. The deaths of bees.

I know, right?

Republicans? while the democrats control the Senate, the White House and the courts.

2. The deaths of bees.

I know, right?

Republicans? while the democrats control the Senate, the White House and the courts.

Sure, Obamacare was Republican idea, especially the idea about working 30 hours or less and having 50 employees or less!!

2. The deaths of bees.

I know, right?

this is true......seen this reported on by more than one station.....you just cant walk out there and start picking this stuff......well you can but you aint going to last.....these folk,the "seasonal" pickers, have been doing this their whole lives,they are kinda born into this....its hot backbreaking work.....

2. The deaths of bees.

I know, right?

if true then prices should be going up! CA somehow picks its crops, still. I think the farmers are bluffing about no workers. Its simple supply and demand. IF you got no workers you raise wages till you ge them.
with this drought there are less crops to pick.....in the Imperial valley lots of farmers are not growing anything....UE is about 20% down there....

Food prices will skyrocket for approximately the same reasons health care prices got out of control. The more we treat food like a right, the more we regulate it, the more we centralize control over its production and distribution, and the more we turn it into a political issue, the more prices will rise.

2. The deaths of bees.

I know, right?

with this drought there are less crops to pick.....in the Imperial valley lots of farmers are not growing anything....UE is about 20% down there....
????

Less crops to pick, I guess you missed the above average Grape Harvests, some say record Grape Harvest. Two years in a row.

Imperial Valley has nothing to do with the drought, the Imperial Valley is the desert, pure desert.

The Imperial Valley historically overdrew water allotments from the Colorado River, Southern California took double its allotment from the Colorado River, that day is gone.

So now we here screams of drought when there is no drought in the Desert, because that is what a Desert is, dry, parched earth.

But people miss much of the news, or cling to the headlines meant to scare them into looking to the government for help.

Imperial Valley farmers being paid by IID to fallow fields
Water transfer putting pressures on farmers as fields are left fallow

Mar. 16, 2014

bilde

Purchase Image
Farmer Ed Hale looks at alfalfa that has grown on its own in a fallowed field. The field is being fallowed through a program that pays landowners who temporarily forgo water deliveries. / Jay Calderon/The Desert Sun
Written by
Ian James|The Desert Sun

• Filed Under

ABOUT THE SERIES
BEYOND DROUGHT As California confronts some of its driest times on record, the state is also facing bigger, more systemic problems of growing water scarcity that go beyond the drought. Even in years with more rainfall, there often isn’t enough water to slake the thirst of agriculture and growing cities and towns. Heavy pumping of groundwater is drawing down aquifers, while reservoirs are running low in places from the Central Valley to the Colorado River. This growing gap, with demands for water regularly outstripping supplies, is prompting difficult questions about what sorts of uses should take precedence and how to stretch water supplies further. In a series of occasional articles, The Desert Sun is examining how the region is hitting its water limits and how those constraints are affecting life and prompting discussion about rethinking California’s water priorities.

BRAWLEY — A red padlock atop a closed canal gate is keeping water from flowing to a 97-acre field, leaving scraggly remnants of alfalfa that will soon wither in the baking sun.

This field is one of many across the Imperial Valley being left dry and brown as a result of the nation’s largest agricultural-to-urban water transfer. Landowners are being paid by the Imperial Irrigation District to fallow their farms, while increasing flows of water are diverted to cities in San Diego County and the Coachella Valley

Imperial Valley Farming is politics, not drought. Who cares about the truth when there is Global Warming to sell.

2. The deaths of bees.

I know, right?

????

Less crops to pick, I guess you missed the above average Grape Harvests, some say record Grape Harvest. Two years in a row.

Imperial Valley has nothing to do with the drought, the Imperial Valley is the desert, pure desert.

The Imperial Valley historically overdrew water allotments from the Colorado River, Southern California took double its allotment from the Colorado River, that day is gone.

So now we here screams of drought when there is no drought in the Desert, because that is what a Desert is, dry, parched earth.

But people miss much of the news, or cling to the headlines meant to scare them into looking to the government for help.

Imperial Valley farmers being paid by IID to fallow fields
Water transfer putting pressures on farmers as fields are left fallow

Mar. 16, 2014

bilde

Purchase Image
Farmer Ed Hale looks at alfalfa that has grown on its own in a fallowed field. The field is being fallowed through a program that pays landowners who temporarily forgo water deliveries. / Jay Calderon/The Desert Sun
Written by
Ian James|The Desert Sun

• Filed Under
ABOUT THE SERIES
BEYOND DROUGHT As California confronts some of its driest times on record, the state is also facing bigger, more systemic problems of growing water scarcity that go beyond the drought. Even in years with more rainfall, there often isn’t enough water to slake the thirst of agriculture and growing cities and towns. Heavy pumping of groundwater is drawing down aquifers, while reservoirs are running low in places from the Central Valley to the Colorado River. This growing gap, with demands for water regularly outstripping supplies, is prompting difficult questions about what sorts of uses should take precedence and how to stretch water supplies further. In a series of occasional articles, The Desert Sun is examining how the region is hitting its water limits and how those constraints are affecting life and prompting discussion about rethinking California’s water priorities.

BRAWLEY — A red padlock atop a closed canal gate is keeping water from flowing to a 97-acre field, leaving scraggly remnants of alfalfa that will soon wither in the baking sun.

This field is one of many across the Imperial Valley being left dry and brown as a result of the nation’s largest agricultural-to-urban water transfer. Landowners are being paid by the Imperial Irrigation District to fallow their farms, while increasing flows of water are diverted to cities in San Diego County and the Coachella Valley

Imperial Valley Farming is politics, not drought. Who cares about the truth when there is Global Warming to sell.
California agriculture to suffer $1 billion in drought losses
California drought impacting state's grape and wine industries.

Reality check: There is a serious drought in CA. Agriculture, including grape farming, is suffering seriously.

Forum List

Back