Thousands Rally Against Georgia Immigration Law

Now consumers will pay more for produce, farmers lose money and will most likely need to lay off workers, stop buying equipment to maintain the farms, the truckers have nothing to deliver, the packaging companies suffer reduced revenues...and it goes on and on.

Legal immigration should be the standard; however the process needs to be more accessible. Which, of course, means bigger government.

Viscious cycle.

What part of "farmers can have an unlimited supply of immigrant farm worker through the H-2A temporary farm workers program" do you not understand?:
evil:

Guest Worker Program
The H-2A agricultural guest worker program was passed by Congress in
as part of the Immigration Reform and Control Act (IRCA). Since its
inception, the program has been the primary legal mechanism through which
U.S. employers have hired seasonal agricultural guest workers. To import an
agricultural guest worker under the H-2A program, an employer must first
meet the requirements
set forth in statute and corresponding federal
regulations. Similarly, a foreign national seeking to enter the U.S. as an H-2A
guest worker must meet admissibility requirements. Both employer and guest
worker requirements are set forth below.

http://www.fairus.org/site/DocServer/h2a.pdf?docID=1621

Cool your jets junior, I referring to the process as a whole, of which I have first hand experience in navigating. I assure you the experience is expensive, inconsistent and not easily accessible.

The market conditions I listed are real and valid.

Thanks to the resulting labor shortage, Georgia farmers have been forced to leave millions of dollars’ worth of blueberries, onions, melons and other crops unharvested and rotting in the fields. It has also put state officials into something of a panic at the damage they’ve done to Georgia’s largest industry.

Get-tough immigration laws hurt Ga. farmers - Kearney Hub: Opinion

Farmers can pay illegal workers 1/2 the wages they would have to pay legal guest workers under the H-2A plus other beneftis. Illegal farm worker are the same cheap labor as other illegal wokers. Farmers like businesses are looking for illlegal cheal labor because it's cheaper.
Workers caught with phony documents could be fined up to $250,000 and get 15 years in prison — the same sentence for murder in Georgia.

That's. Really. Stupid.

I've noticed we had no Georgia blueberries in the store this year.

Fuck you, Georgia, choke on your idiocy.

:thup:

Don't hate the whole state. Atlanta is nice and reasonable. It's the rest of the place that's filled with crazies.

Now consumers will pay more for produce, farmers lose money and will most likely need to lay off workers, stop buying equipment to maintain the farms, the truckers have nothing to deliver, the packaging companies suffer reduced revenues...and it goes on and on.

Legal immigration should be the standard; however the process needs to be more accessible. Which, of course, means bigger government.

Viscious cycle.

Your analysis is simpleminded. Get rid of the illegal aliens, and farmers will probably come up with automation to replace them.

Viscious cycle.

Your analysis is simpleminded. Get rid of the illegal aliens, and farmers will probably come up with automation to replace them.

Perhaps in the future, however my analysis is today's reality.

Viscious cycle.

Perhaps in the future, however my analysis is today's reality.

Baloney. Agricultural technology has been stunted because farmers illegally employ black market labor. Take that away, and agriculture will adapt, just like it did when the black slaves were freed.

That would have been a good time to round up a bunch of them.

It’s interesting how violating the Constitution comes so easily to conservatives.

The blatant and repeated violations, manipulations, and childish claims of ignorance pertaining to the Constitution that have surrounded liberals for the last half century aside... How is arresting people who break the law a "violation of the Constitution"?

Code:
You Know,,,
If they drop welfare in Georgia, I am willing to bet there will be a flood of people willing to pluck onions.

There are many reasons why people are on welfare. Mothers are not required to work unless they have proper baby sitters. And the aid only goes to the children. AFDC is aid to families with dependent children. Most people don't realize what you go through to get welfare. Adults can get food stamps but not welfare unless they have a child.

Code:
You Know,,,
If they drop welfare in Georgia, I am willing to bet there will be a flood of people willing to pluck onions.

There are many reasons why people are on welfare. Mothers are not required to work unless they have proper baby sitters. And the aid only goes to the children. AFDC is aid to families with dependent children. Most people don't realize what you go through to get welfare. Adults can get food stamps but not welfare unless they have a child.

We had to pay for child care when my daughter was young.
There is no reason others cant do the same.

drop all assistance for anyone age 18 or over.
Care for the children, the hell with the adults, if they wont work, let them frigging starve.. unless they are so handicap that they cant do anything. And if they can post on a forum, they can type, if they have a government issued cell phone, they can talk, if they show up at wal mart in their escalade, they can shop or drive.

if they are at home with tubes and stuck in the bed, different story.

Viscious cycle.

There are some crops that automation cannot replace hand workers. If they cannot hire illegal they will hire legal or go broke. H-2A is assisable but farmers don't want to pay for legal workers. Maybe the government should take over the farms?:confused:
Like they would have had to do if the bank, auto industy, etc had not been bailed out. They are too important to fail and not to big. Government bailed them out because they don't want to run farms and banks,etc.

Viscious cycle.

There are some crops that automation cannot replace hand workers.

I know some crops are very fragile, you don't know what could be invented to do the picking.

Forum List

Back