Thoughts on freedom

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ZhaoYun, Jun 24, 2009.

1. ZhaoYun

ZhaoYun Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now that all of the habitable world is controlled by nationalist entities, there is no true freedom, since true or absolute freedom presupposes the freedom to elect out of that which one desires to be free of.
    Now that freedom is restricted everywhere, in varying degrees, it must be qualified with terms like political freedom and personal freedom, sexual freedom, religious freedom, etc.
    I believe that this circumstance constitutes a kind of imprisonment that damages the human spirit and retards our individual development and social progress.
    An aside: I have lived in many places and as an American, the thing I found the most surprising was that many of the places I've been to, particularly in Asia, had much higher degrees of personal freedom, though their political freedoms were often severely curtailed.
    Is this inevitable? Is there another way. Mind you, I'm not an anarchist, but I am reminded every day that at any time in human history before say, 150 years ago, I would have walked away from all of this and tried to build something new, without interference. Perhaps I would have failed, having been eaten by a bear or something, but historically it's been those who made this very choice, absolute freedom at any cost, that as an American I have been raised to idolize, and do.

2. Big Black Dog

Big Black Dog Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,702
    Sorry. I'm not bright enough to have a clue as to what you're talking about.:eusa_eh:

3. RodISHI

RodISHI Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,047
    Freedom does not actually exist for certain things when you consider we do live in a nation of laws. We have no freedom of personal property rights when elitist are allowed to rule unfettered.

The open prairie no longer exist. When I was a child we camped along the river banks and beaches in both Arizona, California and Oregon unhindered. There were no fees to simply pull over and put up camp for a night or two even. Mom and Dad were young and just starting out so we often lived in a tent for the first week until they got settled in a place near his newest job.

I've considered for years that I'd like to make our place here on the south end an actual free camp spot where anyone who came in peace could take a rest for a bit of time. Then I consider the ramifications of letting someone else invade my private space. Next thing ya know they'd be telling me how I should live by their standards.

Now we are not even allowed to have a cigarette in our own home here if we use it for workshops or use the shop for anything that could be considered public traffic. That gets me to wondering if I have a garage sale would I be in fear of being fined or arrested because it would be unlawful for me to smoke in our own place. Next we won't be able to buy sugar without an extra cost but Monsanto and those type companies will still be able to pollute us with their chemicals and ruin the basic seed that has sustained mankind throughout history.

The United States of America has been taken over by corporate & political bullies that will do whatever they wish to the people until the people say enough. By then there will be few to stand up because they have fear of losing what little bit they may have. To many people seem to think that forcing the small family enterprises out has no affect on their own lives. It may be years before they understand they sold themselves for nothing into a system that enslaves them.

Freedom is an old cliche that we only grew up believing in as naive children. We only thought we would be free and we only thought that the law applied to all, it does not. Even the rich who have abused others or used abusive measures to gain wealth and power are not free as they worry each day how to keep all their ill gotten booty and who may be on the ladder right behind them or who may catch them in their misdeeds.

The only place you still have free is your own mind. Your free to make decisions but beware of how you make those. One wrong step on the wrong person's toes and it could land you in jail or threatened with jail if you refuse the program of the giants that rule over the land. Then again just think of all the free time you could have in jail, warm bed, time to read, time to reflect, running water and no rain pouring through a leaky roof. Personally I'd miss Rod and the dog so I try to avoid confrontations as much as possible.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. Citizen

Citizen Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +61
    The best description of freedom I can think of was given by Thomas Jefferson, when he said:

"Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual."

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. American Horse

American Horse AKA "Mustang"

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +938
    What does freedom mean to you; what is your definition of freedom?

If you have marketable skills, particularly the skills of a craftsman, I don't think there is much keeping a person (like you) from opting out of the system, operating financially under the table, avoiding the Social Security and Medicare systems - their encumberments but also later benifits - if that is what you want to do.

I would assume such an individual (or couple) would want to remove themselves physically and geographically from a lot of interference by civil institutions. But they would need to realize their freedom would be somewhat compromised by the need to maintain a low profile, and not attract too much attention to oneself.

6. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,153
    Im not sure I agree that all the habitable land is occupied and controlled. I think there are alot of resources we are unaware of or simply dont use.

This thread is interesting. Im going to have to think about what freedom means for me.

7. manifold

manifold Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,734
    Freedom isn't free.

It costs a buck-o-five.

8. JBeukema

JBeukema BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,705
    Freedom is restricted in all societies, for the mutual benefit of all.

Are you arguing for anarchy and a return to the natural state? :eusa_hand:
    Only until more people showed up, and social order was needed.

9. Xenophon

Xenophon Gone and forgotten

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,751
    Romance of the three kingdoms fan, eh?

10. JBeukema

JBeukema BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,705
    :confused: