Thought experiment : how would you spend 35,000 USD?

CultureCitizen

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2013
Imagine tha as an adult, once every 10 years you were entitled to receive 35,000 USD. But, if you have a debt every single penny of that money goes to pay your debt.

What would you do with the money?
Would you use it for education , vacations, to throw a series of wild parties, dinning in restaurants, having one more kid, buying assets or start your own business?
Furthermore, what effects would such a policy have on markets?

I'll be honest: this post is a bit related with a lot of topics: welfare, the bank bailouts, QE, income innequallity, creative job destruction, market confidence and recession.

Imagine tha as an adult, once every 10 years you were entitled to receive 35,000 USD. But, if you have a debt every single penny of that money goes to pay your debt.

What would you do with the money?
Would you use it for education , vacations, to throw a series of wild parties, dinning in restaurants, having one more kid, buying assets or start your own business?
Furthermore, what effects would such a policy have on markets?

I'll be honest: this post is a bit related with a lot of topics: welfare, the bank bailouts, QE, income innequallity, creative job destruction, market confidence and recession.

A trip to Sydney, Australia - about a $7,500 dollar expenditure. I looked up air fare for where I am at about two months ago - It costs a little over three-thousand dollars round trip.

Invest the rest in savings bonds - the reinvest the return off of that.

Shadow 355

At this point of my life, I would probably use those 35,000 to pay off the mortgage. That would still leave me with 10,000 . I could invest that to get more education ( a couple of courses or more books) alternatively I could use the whole 35,000 in a software startup.

Forum List

Back