This is why the IRA

onecut39

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2008
I have been wracking my brain to figure out the advantage to putting of putting tens of millions of bucks into an IRA. This may explain it.

4. It's the IRAs

Mitt Romney has an Individual Retirement Account, just like you probably do! But unlike you, Mitt has somewhere between $20 and $101 million in his account.

We know that the maximum amount one can contribute to an IRA account is $17,000 per year (employers can match that with up to $30,000). So that would be a pretty impressive performance – what an investor!

Or what a cheat. Michael Graetz, a professor of tax law at Columbia University and a former official in the senior Bush's Treasury Department, suggested that to get such a fat IRA, “we have to presume that Mr. Romney valued the assets he put in his retirement account at far less than he would have sold them for.”

He continues:

The I.R.A. also allows Mr. Romney to diversify his large holdings tax-free, avoiding the 15 percent tax on capital gains that would otherwise apply. His financial disclosure further reveals that his I.R.A. freed him from paying currently the 35 percent income tax on hundreds of thousands of dollars of interest income each year.

And here are another 9 reasons for Mitt to hide his tax returns.

10 Theories About What Mitt Romney's Really Hiding in Those Tax Returns | The Smirking Chimp

"Both traditional and Roth IRAs permit individuals to save for retirement while enjoying certain tax advantages. Traditional IRA contributions are tax-deductible up to certain income limits, investments grow tax-deferred within the account and distributions are taxed as ordinary income. The assumption is that your tax rate will be lower in retirement. Roth IRA contributions are made with after-tax dollars, but qualified distributions are tax-free."

I have an IRA.

So do I, as does my wife. We don't have a hundred million bucks in either one.

I'll say it again this has nothing to do with illegality. This is a character issue. The IRA accounts were set up so the people of average means could have tax free funds after retirement.

If it comes out that Romney was gaming the system, and there is no way he wasn't, this is just going to look like a guy gaming the system that was meant for the middle class.

This is the very ugly face of greed. Couple this up with his tax free offshore accounts and you have a man with unimaginable wealth trying to preserve the last penny at his country's expense.

Legal maybe. No way is it pretty. It is not going away.

You can make non-deductible contributions to an IRA and let them grow tax-deferred until you take them out, at which time you would pay the taxes on the growth but not the non-deductible contributions, since you would have already paid the tax on them.

Last edited:
You can make non-deductible contributions to an IRA and let them grow tax-deferred until you take them out, at which time you would pay the taxes on the growth but not the non-deductible contributions, since you would have already paid the tax on them.
Thank you for clearing that up. Most of your brain-dead liberal friends are too fucking stupid the understand that.

Thank you for clearing that up. Most of your brain-dead liberal friends are too fucking stupid the understand that.

Actually as far as I have seen here I'm the only one to point that out. Which means your braindead conservative friends didn't understand that either.

Finally!!

Someone figured it out

That is true with any account and as such would make IRAs undesirable for non deductible money because there is a substantial penalty if you withdraw it early.

Here is the thing....it still doesnt matter....IF he's guilty, let the feds investigate....otherwise stick to the issues.....you guys will druge up anything to keep from talking about Obama's record....and it's SUCKTACULAR

He might also have acquired some option/warrant type investments from all those Bain Capital deals where he got the rights to stocks in some of those companies at very low prices and their appreciation since could be huge.

That is purely a guess.

Actually as far as I have seen here I'm the only one to point that out. Which means your braindead conservative friends didn't understand that either.

I would have pointed it out, but intended to wait for a few more brain dead liberals made fools of themselves.

That is true with any account and as such would make IRAs undesirable for non deductible money because there is a substantial penalty if you withdraw it early.

Then don't make an early withdrawal.

He might also have acquired some option/warrant type investments from all those Bain Capital deals where he got the rights to stocks in some of those companies at very low prices and their appreciation since could be huge.

That is purely a guess.

Good guess, since many of those companies thrived after Bain came to their rescue.

I would have pointed it out, but intended to wait for a few more brain dead liberals made fools of themselves.

You're a liar, and not a very good one.

Don't be so ignorant. Annual contributions are limited, that includes non-deductible contributions. Romney filled his IRA by lying about the value of assets he put into it.

Forum List

Back