This is just wrong

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by DKSuddeth, Apr 30, 2004.

1. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Texas Spends More On Inmates Than Students

State Ranks 33rd Nationwide For School Spending

DALLAS -- As state lawmakers in Austin haggle over funding for school children, an NBC 5 investigation discovered that Texas spends far more on convicts than students, and far less than most other states.

Our discovery was not news to Stanley Kendall, who has been teaching for more 20 years, mostly in Texas but also in his native Indiana.

Comparing the two states, Kendall said it's obvious to him that Texas spends less on education.

"They're cutting teachers, they're making our class sizes bigger, they're wanting us to cut out programs to help kids at risk," he said.

In fact, NBC 5 verified that's true. Texas ranks 33rd in the nation for spending per pupil. Indiana ranks 18th.

NBC 5 also learned that Texas spends far more on the average prison inmate than the average school child.

The state spends $16,063 per inmate and $7,088 per student.

According to teachers like Aimee Bolender, president of the Alliance AFT teacher's union, that spending practice is backwards.

"Students would have a better education and the chance of them becoming prison inmates would be much less," Bolender said.

State Sen. Florence Shapiro, R-Plano, maintains that the prison comparison is unfair, but agrees that schools need more money.

"I know they would not like to see one of those prisoners who's killed somebody come out of prison because we didn't have the $16,000 to keep them behind bars," Shapiro said.

According to lawmakers, they're looking for funding during the current special session.

"We shouldn't just talk the talk, we should be walking the walk," state Sen. Royce West, D-Dallas, said. "We've got to fix public education. We don't need to put a bandage on it, we need to fix it."

The talk at the capitol includes reducing local property taxes, spreading franchise taxes to businesses that don't pay now and broadening the sales tax.

Teachers remain skeptical. "I expect it to be a shell game. I expect money to be moved, but not actually enhanced," Bolender said.

Shapiro favors the governor's plan for teacher pay performance incentives based on students' tests.

However, Bolender and others oppose that idea.

"That's ridiculous. Teachers do not support that. It's not viewed as fair," she said.

"We teachers, if they would talk to us, we could give them some ideas," Kendall said.

Meanwhile, the District of Columbia spends the most per pupil per year, around $13, 000, followed by Connecticut and New York.

NBC5i

2. NewGuy

NewGuy Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I think the inmates should teach the students, then.

They have all the access to the better physical fitness equipment and books anyway.

It could be a "trickle down" effect.

At least we would have better locksmiths, bouncers, and entrepeneurs.
    :p:

3. _dmp_

_dmp_ Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7
    What's the big deal? Throwing money at kids won't make them smarter.

(shrug).

If you want outrage, take the annual cost of keeping a felon in jail, and contrast it to the average salary of a 20 year old Soldier.

OR...take the $200k Soldiers' families get when they die, and contrast it with the sometimes-MILLIONS of dollars victims families of 911 got.

:-/

4. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    how well I remember the mere pittance I got when I was a 20 year old marine

thats a hell of alot more than they got when I was in. still sucks though.

5. acludem

acludem VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +69
    The best way to take care of this problem would be to dicriminalize the possesion of drugs. There is no reason to send someone to prison simply for having drugs in their possesion. Unless they are selling them to kids, write 'em a ticket and be done with it. Then take all the money we waste on housing these people and put it toward education, including anti-drug programs.

acludem

6. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
    I'm not convinced this is the best approach. I think a better approach would be mandatory rehab, with something similar to the "three strikes" rule (everybody deserves another chance, but if rehab has been tried a lot and doesn't work, it's hopeless). I say we lower the cost of prisons by making the prisoners work all day and lowering the luxuries. If the prisoners work hard enough, the prison pays for itself.

7. NewGuy

NewGuy Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I think we ought to put 'em all on treadmills to generate electricity.

:whip: :laugh:

8. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511
    That's not bad!

9. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    With marijuana, I would totally agree. With other drugs, maybe not. I think mandatory rehab might be a good idea though.

10. pegwinn

pegwinn Top of the Food Chain

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +329
    Read this http://www.usmessageboard.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5726&highlight=prison

Saves on the cut/paste

Prison costs money, one more reason for the death penalty and an expedited appeals process.