This Day in (infamous) history -- 150 years ago

Yup. That's why they're taking down flags and monuments and exhuming generals. While not at all embarrassed by their history, they've realized that their modern connection to it is an impediment to their overall plan to institute a new form of slavery here in the United States.

The Klan has no power to "take down flags and monuments" or "exhume generals", whatever that's supposed to mean.

The monument I mentioned in my OP (the plaque turned backward) was done by a local business owner after he bought the building.

Yup. That's why they're taking down flags and monuments and exhuming generals. While not at all embarrassed by their history, they've realized that their modern connection to it is an impediment to their overall plan to institute a new form of slavery here in the United States.

The Klan has no power to "take down flags and monuments" or "exhume generals", whatever that's supposed to mean.

It is clear that I meant Democrats in general.

I'm afraid "potsie" isn't a word either.

It is. You can thank me later.

Urban Dictionary: potsie

I'm not interested in the Urpin' Dic. You may converse with me in a language we both understand or you can not bother.

I don't care what you're interested in, but nice to see you favor English-Only here in the US.

I didn't mention a specific language nor did I say anything about "only". I can understand English, French, German or Portuguese, but "potsie" isn't a word in any of them. I don't speak Urpin'. If I were interested I'd learn it.

But....... I'm not.

This thread isn't about "Democrats" or any other political party. This thread is about the Klan, on the 150 year mark of its founding.

This thread isn't about "Democrats" or any other political party. This thread is about the Klan, on the 150 year mark of its founding.

Yes. By Democrats.

Yes. By Democrats.

No, by Confederate vet soldiers. There's no indication of them being involved in politics at all. I actually went through all that in my OP.

Maybe you should have actually read the words. What a concept. :eusa_doh:

Footnote -- between the two years, a major Klan operative named D.C. Stephenson, who had singlehandedly put himself and the Klan in charge of virtually the entire state of Indiana, was arrested for his kidnapping and absolutely brutal torture, rape and murder of a schoolteacher, and gradually the Klan's naked hypocrisy finally saw its image tarnished in the general public mind and thus began a decline in its power and membership which had been sharply ascendant in the first half of the 1920s. This decline was probably a significant factor in the difference between the Klan's ability to disrupt the two conventions.

D.C. Stephenson used to boast, "I am the law in Indiana." Approximately one-third of all white males in the state belonged to the organization. At that time they controlled over half the seats in the General Assembly and were responsible for the election of Governor Edward Jackson. A person could not get elected to office in Indianapolis without Klan support. Unfortunately it took the kidnap, rape, and murder of Madge Oberholtzer to break this grip on power. While their hatred extended to blacks, Jews, immigrants, bootleggers, intellectuals, etc; the main object of the Indiana Klan's ire was reserved for Catholics.

The Indiana Ku Klux Klan may have been smashed politically in the 1920s, but new chapters, Neo-Nazi, skinhead, and nativist/traditionalist groups still operate. The Klan culture and attitude has never really gone away either. There are leaflets being left around Bloomington, of all places, announcing a recruiting and anti-immigration rally in the spring. Sadly, Indiana still has communities where minorities would find it very difficult to live.

(Poster note: various sources render the date in question as either December 24 or December 25, 1865)

In a small town in the devastated South, ravaged by war, impoverished and with gainful employment and any sense of normalcy elusive, six young men, veterans of the defeated Confederate Army, met in the law office of Judge Thomas M. Jones at 205 West Madison Street.

>> They had lost all their property, there were no business prospects for them at the time; it was Christmas Eve and their town was saddened not only by the wreckage of Civil War, but by the visitation of a cyclone which had killed and injured many of its inhabitants and destroyed many homes; yet, the spirit of youth could not be conquered.... . One of these young men, Captain John C. Lester, said:
"Boys, let's start something to break this monotony, and to cheer up our mothers and the girls.
Let's start a club of some kind."

.... Before the arrival of the next meeting one of the young men, Captain John B. Kennedy, was requested to stay in the home of Col. Thomas Martin, for its protection, while he and his family were absent from Pulaski. Captain Kennedy invited the other organizers of the club, Frank O. McCord, Calvin E. Jones, John C. Lester, Richard R. Reed and James R. Crowe, to meet him there.

During the evening the organization was perfected. Captain John B. Kennedy, on the committee to select a name mentioned one which he had considered, "Kukloi," from the Greek word "Kuklos," meaning a band or circle. James R. Crowe said "Call it Ku Klux," and no one will know what it means. John C. Lester said: "Add Klan as we are [of] all Scotch-Irish descent."

He then repeated the words: "Ku Klux Klan," the first time these words ever fell from human tongue. The weirdness of the alliteration appealed to the mysterious within them ; so the name was adopted with a feeling that they had chosen something which would excite the curiosity of their friends and carry out their idea of amusement, which, most unexpectedly to them, proved a boon to Pulaski and the South.

James R. Crowe suggested to make it more mysterious, that a costume be adopted. They then made a raid upon Mrs. Martin's linen closet and robed themselves with boyish glee in her stiff linen sheets
and pillow-cases, as masquerading was a popular form of entertainment in those days. Wishing to make an impression they borrowed some horses from a near-by stable and disguised them with sheets.

They then mounted and rode through the darkness, calling at the homes of their mothers and sweethearts, without speaking a word. They rode slowly through the streets of Pulaski waving to the people and making grotesque gestures, which created merriment to the unsuperstitious, and to the superstitious, great fear.

The next day they heard many favorable comments on the unknown boys who had so paraded, having optimism enough to penetrate the gloom which had settled over this once prosperous and happy community. Aside from the amusement they had created, it was reported on the streets, that many of the idle negroes thought they had seen ghosts from the nearby battlefields, and had with haste gone back to their former masters, only too willing to work.

The trivial incident of the selection of the ghostly regalia had a most important bearing on the future
of the organization. The potency of the name "Ku Klux Klan" was not wholly in the impression made
by it on the public, but the members of the Ku Klux Klan themselves first felt its mysterious power, and
realized that through this means they might accomplish something towards alleviating the distress then
prevalent in their community. Yet their dominant idea was amusement, based on secrecy and mystery.
<<1

The shroud of mystery proved infectious far beyond this group of six and loose adjunct chapters were started around the region. Into these chapters crept a lawless vigilante element that had been mustering in the defeated South, usually also started by Confederate veterans, at first ostensibly a "protective" force but in practice increasingly a terroristic one, in effect insurgents bent on continuing the War, or at least driving out what it saw as an occupying army.

Though officially disbanded in 1869 specifically because of this lawlessness, this same vigilante element ignored the order and continued its terrorism well into the 1870s, organized or not, until the Klan was extinguished by the end of that decade.

This Ku Klux Klan had lasted less than 15 years and would have been relegated to the footnotes of history along with the White League, Knights of the White Camellia and other such postwar movements, had it not been for a Georgia salesman and opportunist named William Simmons who, exactly fifty years later, saw a get-rich-quick opportunity in the wake of the stir created by the racist film "Birth of a Nation", which romanticized and whitewashed the old Klan stories. On Thanksgiving Day 1915 Simmons took some followers up Stone Mountain and rekindled the Klan, taking the trouble to acquire a charter from the State of Georgia (and set up a scheme to sell and market memberships, making sure he got a cut of each one).

Simmons saw dollar signs in the national fear of foreigners and immigrants, his new Klan reiteration targeting these newcomers, largely Eastern European, along with labor unions, Catholics, Jews, blacks and any other non-WASP minority, as well as communists, "loose" women, and alcohol (his KKK was firmly behind the Temperance movement and 18th Amendment) -- even though Simmons himself was known to imbibe in these vices. Simmons would hire marketing consultants to exploit these national fears, greatly expanding the Klan far beyond the former geographical and ideological boundaries of the South, to the point where at one point an estimated one-third of the entire male population of Indiana was counted in its members.

Most of our experience of Klan activity, and virtually all of the photographic evidence, derives from Simmons' second (1915) iteration, as does the cross-burning imagery (which was taken from the film, not from history). But ultimately it derives from six bored young guys looking for something to do in a small town, 150 years ago today.

The building at 205 West Madison was marked with a plaque by the Daughters of the Confederacy in 1917, listing the names of the group's founders, apparently feeling Pulaski was snubbed by not being mentioned in Birth of a Nation. In 1990 the building's new owner Don Massey turned the plaque backwards and re-bolted it to the brick, so that it now shows nothing but blank.

1 - description quoted from "Authentic History [of the] Ku Klux Klan 1865-1877" by Susan Lawrence Davis

Good to see you are studying your democrat party....

Yes. By Democrats.

You asshats who insist on trying to devolve documented history into a ramblingly inchoate rivulet of mythology diarrhea that serves your politics-as-political-scoreboard-in-a-football game, diga me this ----

Show us a link, anywhere, any time, indicating that the founders of the KKK, Capt. John Lester, Capt. John B. Kennedy, Maj. James Crowe, Frank McCord, Calvin Jones OR Richard Reed ---- had any political affiliation at all, let alone a specific one.

Show us a link, anywhere, any time, indicating that the founder of the second iteration, William J. Simmons, had any political affiliation at all, let alone a specific one.

Show us any kind of motivation like that for founding and/or re-founding the Klan. Where is it?

Explain to us why "Democrats" would be behind an organization that openly persecuted its own constituents ---- labor unions. Jews. Catholics. Blacks. Gays. Women. Immigrants.

Explain to us why this "Democrat" organization would be working to elect Republicans -- Clarence Morley and Rice Means in Colorado.... the entire city council of Anaheim in California.... George Baker in Oregon.... the entire state's political machine in Indiana (see below).

Kindly spell out for us why a political party would foster a secret organization to run for office against its own candidates.

--- Or why this "Democrat" organization would be opposing Democrats like Jack Walton, governor of Oklahoma who tried to drive the Klan out after the Tulsa Race Riots. Or Oscar Underwood who famously declared, "It is either the Ku Klux Klan or the United States of America. Both cannot survive. Between the two, I choose my country", calling it a "national menace".

Links to all this? Links to ANY of this? Explanations for why a political party would be working so much against its own interests?

Cue crickets.

Don't try to bullshit me. I know this history inside out. Bring on these links or admit that you're parroting spoon-fed myths and never bothered to investigate what you've been swallowing -- and are therefore uninterested in historical fact --- as I've taken some effort to lay out here for the dense:

DarkFury
Billy_Kinetta
jon_berzerk
Correll
boedicca
S.J.
Weatherman2020

Last edited:
Footnote -- between the two years, a major Klan operative named D.C. Stephenson, who had singlehandedly put himself and the Klan in charge of virtually the entire state of Indiana, was arrested for his kidnapping and absolutely brutal torture, rape and murder of a schoolteacher, and gradually the Klan's naked hypocrisy finally saw its image tarnished in the general public mind and thus began a decline in its power and membership which had been sharply ascendant in the first half of the 1920s. This decline was probably a significant factor in the difference between the Klan's ability to disrupt the two conventions.

D.C. Stephenson used to boast, "I am the law in Indiana." Approximately one-third of all white males in the state belonged to the organization. At that time they controlled over half the seats in the General Assembly and were responsible for the election of Governor Edward Jackson. A person could not get elected to office in Indianapolis without Klan support. Unfortunately it took the kidnap, rape, and murder of Madge Oberholtzer to break this grip on power. While their hatred extended to blacks, Jews, immigrants, bootleggers, intellectuals, etc; the main object of the Indiana Klan's ire was reserved for Catholics.

The Indiana Ku Klux Klan may have been smashed politically in the 1920s, but new chapters, Neo-Nazi, skinhead, and nativist/traditionalist groups still operate. The Klan culture and attitude has never really gone away either. There are leaflets being left around Bloomington, of all places, announcing a recruiting and anti-immigration rally in the spring. Sadly, Indiana still has communities where minorities would find it very difficult to live.

Stephenson's crime certainly put a dagger in the Klan's ascendancy, seriously interrupting its growth and ability to sell itself. But it didn't wipe out the existing Klan, which saw another resurgence in and just after World War Two, as it exploited another national xenophobia about --- and this is going to sound eerily familiar --- an influx of foreigners, made refugees by war.

The next blow against the Klan would be struck, in a rather heroically clever way, by another Georgian.

I made the statement in another thread that "there has never been a Liberal in the Klan". Well technically, that's not true --- author and folklorist Stetson Kennedy was certainly a Liberal and one of the most outspoken opponents of Southern racism from the South, a contemporary of Lillian Smith and Erskine Caldwell. Kennedy famously infiltrated his local Klavern in the 1940s, became a member, and tried to ferret out what information he could to relay to the authorities. Noticing that beneath some of the members' robes were police/sheriff's uniforms, he went instead to the FBI, who weren't very interested and to the extent they were, blew the ball game: "So I got a call from the FBI last week", the Klan leader noted at the next meeting....

So Kennedy came up with another angle that was absolutely brilliant.

Noticing some boys playing "cops and robbers" in the street, it occurred to him that since the recent fall of Germany and Japan in World War Two, the radio theater hero Superman --- the centerpiece of a program that was wildly popular and broadcast every day on radio (TV wasn't established yet) --- had run short of villains to fight.

So he gave them one: the Klan.

The Klan would use secret passwords for access to its meetings which would change every week. Kennedy, still an undiscovered mole, would pass these passwords on to the writers of Superman, who would work them, intact, into the script in stark realism. Not only were the Klan's "secret" passwords and silly rituals being broadcast coast-to-coast, their absurd philosophy was hung out to dry in the script:

Segret Wilson
Come now, Riggs. Is it possible that you really believe all that stuff about getting rid of the foreigners? That "one race, one religion, one color" hokum?

Matt Riggs
Hokum? Why, it's the absolute truth. We've got to save America from foreign elements.

Segret Wilson
Well, I'll be-- I thought you had brains, Riggs. But you've become drunk on the slop we put up for the suckers.

Matt Riggs
Suckers? Who are you calling--

Segret Wilson
Our members, Riggs. The poor fish who want to hate and blame somebody else for their failures in life. The saps who believe drivel such as, a man is a dangerous enemy because he goes to a different church. The little nobodies who want to believe some other race is inferior so they can feel superior. The jerks who go for that "100% American" rot.

Matt Riggs
Rot? You mean you don't believe?

Segret Wilson
Of course not. You must know there is no such thing as what we call 100% American. Everyone here except the Indians is descended from foreigners.

Matt Riggs
Why, blast you, Wilson. You sound like a dirty foreigner yourself.

Segret Wilson
I'm running a business, Riggs. And so are you. We deal in one of the oldest and most profitable commodities on Earth: Hate.
"The Adventures of Superman: Clan of the Fiery Cross" began the first of its 16 episodes on June 10, 1946. Having failed to interest local or federal authorities on what info he could ferret out by infiltrating the Klan, Stetson Kennedy went to a far more powerful entity -- the hearts and minds of the people, via mass media. The Klan was now an enemy of Superman -- an American icon.

The same little kids that were dressing up as the latter character of "cops and robbers" with no uncertainty about who the "bad guy" was --- were now dressing up in hoods, mocking what they'd heard on the radio. Seeing their own kids playing "cops and Klanners", Klanners were kwitting, rather than chance being found out and embarrassed. By the end of the 1940s people were showing up to Klan rallies not to join, but to mock them. And it's said that within two weeks of the broadcast Klan recruitment was down to zero.

Another Klan resurgence had been deflated. Where the Klan tried to milk and stir up racial and religious bigotry, Kennedy provided the antidote, and it was strong medicine. He later wrote a bestselling book about his infiltration to turn the knife.

Stetson Kennedy passed away in 2011 at age 94. 'Bout time for another one.

More on the Indiana experience here:

You asshats who insist on trying to devolve documented history into a ramblingly inchoate rivulet of mythology diarrhea that serves your politics-as-political-scoreboard-in-a-football game, diga me this ----

YOU "diga" ME this - are you planning on pasting this entire book in here? There are other books you know.

Explain to us why "Democrats" would be behind an organization that openly persecuted its own constituents ---- labor unions. Jews. Catholics. Blacks. Gays. Women. Immigrants.

Because they were not their constituents at the time.

Explain to us why this "Democrat" organization would be working to elect Republicans -- Clarence Morley and Rice Means in Colorado.... the entire city council of Anaheim in California.... George Baker in Oregon.... the entire state's political machine in Indiana

For the same reason Democrats today are supporting Jeb Bush as "the only viable Republican candidate". Think hard, now.

Don't try to bullshit me. I know this history inside out.

You know what you've been told, and are primed to believe.

Billy_Kinetta

At my service. :coffee:

YOU "diga" ME this - are you planning on pasting this entire book in here? There are other books you know.

--- And I've read every one I can find, and they show your collective mythology to be .... exactly that. It must suck to be exposed as a fraud.

What's the name of this forum? Says "History" on my screen. Ergo that's what I'm rendering.

Don't like what history actually says? Tough titty. :eusa_boohoo:

You want mythology? Try the "Writer's Corner". I don't traffic in fiction around here.

So to the question ---- you have no answer. No link, no page, no history, no quote, no documentation, no evidence, no nuttin'.

Which, while what I knew such vacuum was inevitable, is at least more than I got from any of the others....

SohboyUK.jpg

In lieu of any such evidence from the rest of your Gang of Seven, I'll have to accept on their behalf your collective concession that you were all pulling it out of your collective ass and as an embarrassing admission that y'all don't know the Ku Klux Klan from Kris Kristofferson.

Better luck next time, but I warned you, I never come to these battlegrounds unarmed. Ever.
As the saying goes --- fuck with the bull and you get the horn. You've been discredited. Next time don't come in flinging bullshit.

--- And I've read every one I can find, and they show your collective mythology to be .... exactly that. It must suck to be exposed as a fraud.

What's the name of this forum? Says "History" on my screen. Ergo that's what I'm rendering.

You want mythology? Try the "Writer's Corner". I don't traffic in fiction around here.

So to the question ---- you have no answer. No link, no page, no history, no quote, no documentation, no evidence, no nuttin'.

Which, while what I knew such vacuum was inevitable, is at least more than I got from any of the others....

SohboyUK.jpg

In lieu of any such evidence from the rest of your Gang of Seven, I'll have to accept on their behalf your collective concession that you were all pulling it out of your collective ass and as an embarrassing admission that y'all don't know the Ku Klux Klan from Kris Kristofferson.

Better luck next time, but I warned you, I never come to these battlegrounds unarmed. Ever.
As the saying goes --- fuck with the bull and you get the horn. You've been discredited. Next time don't come in flinging bullshit.

Oh please. It's long and well known here that your version of history is based upon bad rewrites. You are owed nothing.

SohboyUK.jpg

Oh please. It's long and well known here that your version of history is based upon bad rewrites. You are owed nothing.

Correct. I asked for documentation, and you duly supplied evidence that you don't have any. And thanks for that. Makes my job easy.

Perhaps there's some reason you find the genuine history ..... inconvenient?

SohboyUK.jpg

Correct. I asked for documentation, and you duly supplied evidence that you don't have any. And thanks for that. Makes my job easy.

Perhaps there's some reason you find the genuine history ..... inconvenient?

Nevah! You will be providing some soon?

Forum List

Back