Thirteen

Dan

Aug 28, 2003
Aiken, SC
Nothing really groundbreaking story-wise here, but a really good movie nonetheless.

It's about a thirteen year old girl, Tracy, who goes to extensive lengths to impress the "cool" girl, Evie, at her school. She does, eventually, and they start hanging out, but things start to go bad as Evie introduces Tracy to the more seedy aspects of life that a 13 year old girl shouldn't have to face for a long time (drugs, sex, etc.).

Like I said, it's been done before, but this movie felt more real to me than others like it. This realism probably comes from the fact that it was actually cowritten by a thirteen-year-old girl, Nikki Reed, who also stars as Evie.

Now that I think about it, I guess if you're older, in your 30's or 40's, many of the things that the girls do in this movie probably would be pretty shocking, which kinda depresses me that most of it wasn't all that shocking to me (there were a couple moments, though).

Overall, though, it was a real-feeling movie, it felt more like a documentary than a fiction movie. I give it 3 1/2 stars.

Forum List

Back