They Will, Of Course, Hire More Unqualified Idiots

People who care about kids, and about the future of our country?

Teachers have no authority to maintain order in class, nor to remove those who disrupt.

I was once asked to be a substitute teacher. I asked the person why they would want to see me on the front page of the local paper.

Under the current system, it's just not worth the risk.

Teachers have no authority to maintain order in class, nor to remove those who disrupt.....

Of course they do.

We do.....but how/what we can do to maintain authority is definitely slipping away. The perfect example is 2 years ago I actually got in trouble with my admin because I asked a kid to step out into the hallway (so I could have a private conversation with him and discipline him). His mom called the school and said that by calling him out into the hallway I embarrassed him.

So I had 3 options: 1) discipline him publicly (9/10 it's a terrible idea), 2) discipline him privately, or 3) fail to discipline him at all.

Take away options 1 and 2 and BOOM now the inmates run the asylum.

Also we can NOT remove disruptive students from our classrooms-at least in my district. It's really not a good idea in the first place, because then the kid has won (it shows that you have no control over your classroom and can't efficiently deal with certain kids).

The real problem is they allow the "bad kids" to stay in school for far too long. I can just hear it now "excuse but there are NO bad kids!". The PC police would be shocked to meet a student of mine last year who was arrested THREE times, the final time for burglarizing an occupied residence, possessing a stolen firearm and a stolen car as he did so. The kid had ZERO respect for me--hell why would he, he doesn't respect a single person on the planet-including his own mother.

It may sound harsh or be "cold" to say--but when that kid wasn't in class everyone else performed MUCH better. Personally, I'm all for giving the boot to kids like that for the greater good of the students who DO want to become productive members of society.

Yup. Send them to mandatory vocational school, linking performance and harsh measures.

We cannot continue to nurse developing monsters.

There WAS discipline in public schools when I was that age. It was not as successful as in parochial schools - which could toss a bad kid - but still there was some semblance of discipline. Teachers could not be overtly disrespected or abused. Punishment would surely follow.

What has changed?

Court decisions giving adult "rights" to children.

Air-headed, feel-good philosophies of education and discipline, originating in colleges and universities, and eventually filtering down to public K-12 schools.

General distrust of, and disdain for, Authority, fostered by the Vietnam War Protesters who came to dominate public education.

Strangely enough, this is one thing that I don't think can be blamed on the teachers' unions. The teachers suffer from this more than anyone.

Teacher shortages? Can we be honest for a moment? We have armies of people who aspire to be teachers, and could do a great job at it. But nobody wants to teach in school districts where the students are out of control. Mainly in "minority" school districts and schools.

In my own school district, they get literally HUNDREDS of applications from well-qualified applicants for every single opening. No shortages here in the lily-shite suburbs.

Forum List

Back