There is this cliché about German wine that it is all bad and worthless

I've never heard any fellow oenophile claim that German wine was "...all bad and worthless"

I attempted to bring back about 10 bottles of Alsatian wine but ended up sharing most of it with other travelers facing flight delays in different airports.

I was told by many vineyard owners that they don't export their best wines so maybe that's the basis for the erroneous reputation.

Thanks,

in my experience it is usually GERMAN wine snobs who say so ….

in my experience it is usually GERMAN wine snobs who say so ….

I think that it's universal among most snobs of all types to state that anything from far away is better.

Unless, of course, the product in question is their own.

Thanks for starting this thread.

PS: Does Weinstraße still exist?
We used to ride bicycles from Freiburg i. Br. to Strasbourg and stop at vineyards along the way. Each wine was great but the last leg of the trip was a little slower.
After a long and delicious dinner, we'd sleep outdoors and still feel good the next morning.

I think that it's universal among most snobs of all types to state that anything from far away is better.

Unless, of course, the product in question is their own.

Thanks for starting this thread.

PS: Does Weinstraße still exist?
We used to ride bicycles from Freiburg i. Br. to Strasbourg and stop at vineyards along the way. Each wine was great but the last leg of the trip was a little slower.
After a long and delicious dinner, we'd sleep outdoors and still feel good the next morning.
yes , that weinstraße still exists!

:)

it is the Badische Weinstraße.
there several such Wine Roads in Germany.

I was told by many vineyard owners that they don't export their best

not to England in any case.
in England most people only know Liebfraumilch or Blue Nun.

Hopeless!

in England they are still fighting WW One, as far as wine is concerned.

once upon a time … before WW one .. ….German white wines fetched higher prices in England than Ffrench red wines.

I don't really drink much now, but when I was young I loved Blue Nun and have put down several dozens of bottles ...over the period!!! 😁

not to England in any case.
in England most people only know Liebfraumilch or Blue Nun.

Hopeless!

in England they are still fighting WW One, as far as wine is concerned.

I haven't been to England in a long time but friends of mine in the UK like and drink German wine.

A dear, old Scottish friend of mine from Freiburg who is a writer and teaches at the University of Edinburgh keeps me posted German wines she finds but, sadly I had to stop drinking regularly due to cancer, heart and chronic pain med.s.

My wife went to chef school in NYC where she worked in 4 star restaurants so she had to learn about good wine.

Therefore, it would be a travesty not to have just a little wine with a gourmet meal.

There are some very good German wines but also some that are not that great.

I don't really drink much now, but when I was young I loved Blue Nun and have put down several dozens of bottles ...over the period!!! 😁

Even before I lived in Alsace - Lorraine (Freiburg i. Br.) I didn't particularly like Blue Nun and after I was spoiled by regional German wine, I had trouble finding anything close in the US. Now, there are surprisingly good wines in both North and South America.

Now that you're drinking less, you can enjoy better wine.

Thanks,

I haven't been to England in a long time but friends of mine in the UK like and drink German wine.

A dear, old Scottish friend of mine from Freiburg who is a writer and teaches at the University of Edinburgh keeps me posted German wines she finds but, sadly I had to stop drinking regularly due to cancer, heart and chronic pain med.s.

My wife went to chef school in NYC where she worked in 4 star restaurants so she had to learn about good wine.

Therefore, it would be a travesty not to have just a little wine with a gourmet meal.

true!

British people who know about wine estimate German wine!

Forum List

Back