There is NO RISK in privatizing SS and investing in stock market!!!

LMAO ... the RW's are forecasting DOOM for the market one day, and success the next day GUARANTEED !!!

not a broker in the world will assure you the market isn't without risk ... get cha sum !

morons.

I never suggested there was no risk. And yes, the market will boom and bust in the future, just as in the past. How bad the swing end up, depends on how much the government screws the economy up.

[QUOTE="Skull Pilot,

Even the most basic investment strategy entails changing one's portfolio to lower risk investments as one ages.
I guess I was wrong to assume that you people were smart enough to realize that.

So, everyone will correctly manage their portfolios?[/QUOTE]
They can certainly learn how.

It's not rocket science.

Most people spend more time planning their vacations than they do their finances.If they spent some of that time learning how to invest they'd be better off

No thank you. I don't think it is society's responsibility to protect people from the consequences of their own decisions. The bit you are missing is that some people will do far better managing their own money, so you are penalizing them in order to bail out idiots.

Some will, some won't. We're not talking theory here. Noble economic prizes have been won on this issue. In fact, exercises in individual behavior in markets and bubbles are standard in economics classes. The result is predicitable and uniform. It boils down to whether we'd let people who lost their money and didn't have enough to eat ... starve, or whether the rest of us would pay taxes for their food.

NO ONE disagrees there will be "some that won't"
BUT why PENALIZE THE MOST that will?
The FACTs are there are MORE years where the DJIA (in case you might be confused.. the average of
30 stocks that are changed over time to adjust for economy..) went up.. 73 years in fact out of 112 years.
Dow Industrial Average Stock Market Index Historical Graph DJIA
Another fact...
If the "risky market" went down more often the up... THERE would be no market.
Why in the hell would anyone be involved in an asset accumulation WITH NO ACCUMULATION.
Do you understand?
Again like most people YOU take the exception.."some won't" and make that the RULE... when the
RULE is more people have accumulated wealth over 112 years by investing in stocks otherwise there wouldn't be a "market"!
Do you understand?
By the way please do a little research as I have and provide exact examples where "Noble economic prizes have been won". I need to understand how economic learned people use the EXCEPTION as the rule!

There's no exception, and there's no argument that if you average the price of equites they go up. But there's also no argument that if you allow people to use fica dollars to have their entire "nut" in equites when they are aged 60 or older, at SOME POINT IN TIME you'll have a bunch of people aging into retirement who lost most of their nut. That's not an exception: its a fact. However, if everyone's money was in a big fund with investments in many markets, like an annuity, there would be little risk in paying out a defined benefit. And, there's no exception there either.

Your arguments are not based on any actual investment strategy or market analysis, but rather are libertarian clap trap about wanting to be on an Island by yourself. And that would be ok with me, except if you're one of those folks who see a 40% haircut at age 65, you'll be first in line to mooch off of me.

Even the most basic investment strategy entails changing one's portfolio to lower risk investments as one ages.
I guess I was wrong to assume that you people were smart enough to realize that.

Well, I disagree with that completely.

I actually know guys in their 70s, who pulled money out, and now have Government Bond investments, earning 1%. If they had simply left their money where it was, doing nothing, they would have made another half million.

There is only one reason to move to lower-risk investments. That's if you are mentally not ready to deal with the swings of the market.

But 30% return on my investment in the last 2 years..... or 1%. Um.... 30% or 1%.... hm.... Boy that's a tough choice there. Let me consider that....
There are other very safe places to protect one's money that pay a hell of a lot more than 1%

[

So, everyone will correctly manage their portfolios?
They can certainly learn how.

It's not rocket science.

Most people spend more time planning their vacations than they do their finances.If they spent some of that time learning how to invest they'd be better off

Most people spend more time planning to watch reality TV, and managing their fantasy football league.

Why should the rest of us be punished, due to their irresponsibility?

Would the management fees be considered a tax by the right?

You still gonna tax me with an SS tax and then force me to invest it in private enterprise?
Sounds like forcing mer to buy insurance.
Actually, Social Security is an insurance policy. But it is the most benevolent and beneficial form of insurance ever devised. Because unless you die early you will get back every penny you paid in premiums -- and more! So thinking of Social Security as a tax is self-deceiving and serves interests other than your own.

If your FICA contributions deduct a painfully substantial part of your weekly paycheck it is obvious you don't earn that much, which means you can't afford to risk playing around in the stock market -- which is what a 401k plan is and don't let anyone tell you something different.

I'm 78 years old. On the first day of every month the Social Security Administration directly deposits a nice little sum into my checking account. They've been doing it for thirteen years so far and I have no doubt it will continue until I die.

I live in a large retirement community where I have several neighbors who thank their god every day for Social Security -- because their 401s knocked a big hole in their expectations when the market collapsed in 2008. As every one of these individuals will tell you, if they had all of their retirement money in their 401s they wouldn't be living here today.

So when thinking about Social Security, what other insurance policy do you know of which ensures a full return of every penny of your premium plus a lot more? Because Social Security will pay you until you die.

Last edited:

You still gonna tax me with an SS tax and then force me to invest it in private enterprise?
Actually, Social Security is an insurance policy. But it is the most benevolent and beneficial form of insurance ever devised. Because unless you die early you will get back every penny you paid in premiums -- and more! So thinking of Social Security as a tax is self-deceiving and serves interests other than your own.

If your FICA contributions deduct a painfully substantial part of your weekly paycheck it is obvious you don't earn that much, which means you can't afford to risk playing around in the stock market -- which is what a 401k plan is and don't let anyone tell you something different.

I'm 78 years old. On the first day of every month the Social Security Administration directly deposits a nice little sum into my checking account. They've been doing it for thirteen years so far and I have no doubt it will continue until I die.

I live in a large retirement community where I have several neighbors who thank their god every day for Social Security -- because their 401s knocked a big hole in their expectations when the market collapsed in 2008. As every one of these individuals will tell you, if they had all of their retirement money in their 401s they wouldn't be living here today.

So when thinking about Social Security, what other insurance policy do you know of which ensures a full return of every penny of your premium plus a lot more? Because Social Security will pay you until you die.

ONLY idiots would have their 401Ks invested in the market when they near retirement!
The whole point of investing in the equities markets when YOUNG was to take advantage of appreciation due to higher risks...but with youth on the side could be recovered. THEN when the person gets close to 60 years still working though SHOULD never had a large amount in risk equities.
That is pure stupidity!
Those neighbors in the "market" at their age were dumb!

There is NO RISK in privatizing SS and investing in stock market!!!

Um, there's risk in any investment. The issue is degree of risk. The title of your thread alone demonstrates you have no idea what you're talking about.

I will collect NOTHING from that Ponzi scheme. I have been paying into it for years, will pay into it until the day I die, and will get NOTHING for it.

It is not my fault that your neighbors are idiots!

ONLY idiots would have their 401Ks invested in the market when they near retirement!
The whole point of investing in the equities markets when YOUNG was to take advantage of appreciation due to higher risks...but with youth on the side could be recovered. THEN when the person gets close to 60 years still working though SHOULD never had a large amount in risk equities.
That is pure stupidity!

Gee, you think they picked their investments all by themselves, or do you think that 'experts' told them what to do for a fee, and they paid dearly for listening to self appointed experts (like you). SS is good, those who oppose it are the jerks who tell others what to invest in - for a fee - but put their own money in something else - using inside information they don't share with their clients.

Last edited:

That is pure stupidity!

Gee, you think they picked their investments all by themselves, or do you think that 'experts' told them what to do for a fee, and they paid dearly for listening to self appointed experts (like you). SS is good, those who oppose it are the jerks who tell others what to invest in - for a fee - but put their own money is something else - using inside information.

Could just put all that money in one big pool and then let the government to decide what to do with it.

Oh wait....

Next this far left drone will be posting Social Security is solvent because Obama is in office.

That is pure stupidity!

Gee, you think they picked their investments all by themselves, or do you think that 'experts' told them what to do for a fee, and they paid dearly for listening to self appointed experts (like you). SS is good, those who oppose it are the jerks who tell others what to invest in - for a fee - but put their own money is something else - using inside information.

Could just put all that money in one big pool and then let the government to decide what to do with it.

Oh wait....

Next this far left drone will be posting Social Security is solvent because Obama is in office.

Thank you for sharing you studied and considered opinion (yeah, that's sarcasm). You are one dumb and lying POS.

That is pure stupidity!

Oh wait....

Thank you for sharing you studied and considered opinion (yeah, that's sarcasm). You are one dumb and lying POS.

Really so you DO NOT think Social Security is solvent because Obama is office and should NOT be in the hands of the government?

That is pure stupidity!

Gee, you think they picked their investments all by themselves, or do you think that 'experts' told them what to do for a fee, and they paid dearly for listening to self appointed experts (like you). SS is good, those who oppose it are the jerks who tell others what to invest in - for a fee - but put their own money in something else - using inside information they don't share with their clients.

EXPERTS would have told them to put MOST of their money in treasuries, bonds,etc. and NOT into the market.
But more importantly F...king common sense should dictate that!
They deserve to lose their money if they can't figure out that their nest egg would be at risk in the stock market at their AGE!
This is so stupid. Again total idiots would not assess the risk!
It is NOT self appointed experts but plain common sense! You don't when you are close to counting on that nest egg leave it at risk!
THAT simple!

That is pure stupidity!

EXPERTS would have told them to put MOST of their money in treasuries, bonds,etc. and NOT into the market.
They deserve to lose their money if they can't figure out that their nest egg would be at risk in the stock market at their AGE!
It is NOT self appointed experts but plain common sense! You don't when you are close to counting on that nest egg leave it at risk!
THAT simple!

Sure they would; experts are never corrupt and always ethical (sarcasm alert).

I will collect NOTHING from that Ponzi scheme. I have been paying into it for years, will pay into it until the day I die, and will get NOTHING for it.

It is not my fault that your neighbors are idiots!
Your comment suggests you are ailing from some terminal illness which you are certain will end your life before age 65. Is this true? If so, how old are you now? And if this is true you have my sincere sympathy.

But why does this unfortunate circumstance prompt you to denounce Social Security as a Ponzi Scheme -- which it assuredly is not?

That is pure stupidity!

THAT simple!

Yea and those "poor" misinformed low intelligent 401K losers.. were total dependents on the state to watch over them?
They couldn't make a decision about eating rat poisoning versus food? They didn't have driver's licenses that required them to make
decisions?
Come on! How totally stupid to believe common sense was totally lacking in these 401K losers!
OH wait...of course they had no common sense! They were losers!
Sorry. I have no pity for people that couldn't figure out that at age 60 their accumulated assets should be in the equities market!
Call them "greedy"...or call them dumb.. but one thing you can't say about them is they had any common sense...i.e. you don't put your
nest egg in equities when you are close to retirement!

That is pure stupidity!

THAT simple!

Yea and those "poor" misinformed low intelligent 401K losers.. were total dependents on the state to watch over them?
They couldn't make a decision about eating rat poisoning versus food? They didn't have driver's licenses that required them to make
decisions?
Come on! How totally stupid to believe common sense was totally lacking in these 401K losers!
OH wait...of course they had no common sense! They were losers!
Sorry. I have no pity for people that couldn't figure out that at age 60 their accumulated assets should be in the equities market!
Call them "greedy"...or call them dumb.. but one thing you can't say about them is they had any common sense...i.e. you don't put your
nest egg in equities when you are close to retirement!

You're an asshole as well as a phony. Your entire self righteous know-it-all attitude was barely tolerable, until you start attacking peoples' intelligence - people you don't know whose life experience are unique to them alone - that makes your posts not only hateful but foolish.

Calls it a Ponzi scheme and then insults others' intelligence. Go figure.

Still HCmyths are, imo, illuminating. The dislike of soc sec has nothing to do with solvency, because its been pointed out time and again that either a modest tax increase of $15 mo, or even better removing the cap on higher earners, would bring in enough revenue to pay all retirees at current rates until the time when the Boomers are dead, and they system would be fully funded even at today's tax rates. Rather, the dislike of soc sec is simply that under its scheme there will not be losers. It's that simple. Full privatization might make some make more, and some would lose all or most. That's the desired result of those who dislike soc sec.

Forum List

Back