There is a car that get's 376 mpg

bigrebnc1775

][][][% NC Sheepdog
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 12, 2010
Kannapolis, N.C.
The Opel P1 built in 1973 by shell oil company

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEiwWVY2j_8&feature=feedf]YouTube - 376 Miles Per Gallon Car (Opel P1)[/ame]

car built in 1959

Last edited:
This is America It's gotta look good.

I look good with all the money I save without havinbg to buy gas just to go some where.

BTW if they have that they can create a car that gets 100 mpg.

Yeah lets see you take a date out in that.

I like the volt, but the prototype looked better.

increase the size and look they still should be able to build a car that get's 100mpg if they built one that get's 376 mpg

I look good with all the money I save without havinbg to buy gas just to go some where.

BTW if they have that they can create a car that gets 100 mpg.

Yeah lets see you take a date out in that.

I like the volt, but the prototype looked better.

increase the size and look they still should be able to build a car that get's 100mpg if they built one that get's 376 mpg

I agree. honestly if gas gets much higher there would be a market for the car.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_CbuQKT8SU]YouTube - That '70s Show - It's a car that runs on water man![/ame]

Great music. I love CCR. A little short on mechanical details. I was curious about air fuel ratios and how many horsepower it made.

I would think a modern Metro would be the lowest cost way of getting seventy miles per gallon, perhaps 80. Just doesn't seem like engine management has come that far since the Tuned Port Injected years. Perhaps this is the end of the line for internal combustion gasoline engines.

BTW, think Toyota, BMW, Hyuandi, Tata and Ford are all in a conspiracy together?

Hybrids, meet your rival -- it gets 376.59 mpg - seattlepi.com

To be sure, the Opel isn't much on looks, luxury or performance. The team that built it stripped the interior of everything but a seat, chopped the top to lower its wind resistance. They narrowed the rear axle, used super-hard low-friction tires and a chain drive to save weight.

The mileage from the mostly stock four-cylinder came from heating and insulating the fuel line so the gas entered the engine as lean vapor. Then they drove the car on a closed course at a steady 30 mph.

So some of that wouldn't work in the street, McMullen concedes.

Still would like more info but it was quite a neat accomplishment. :clap2:

To be sure, the Opel isn't much on looks, luxury or performance. The team that built it stripped the interior of everything but a seat, chopped the top to lower its wind resistance. They narrowed the rear axle, used super-hard low-friction tires and a chain drive to save weight.

The mileage from the mostly stock four-cylinder came from heating and insulating the fuel line so the gas entered the engine as lean vapor. Then they drove the car on a closed course at a steady 30 mph.

As I said they could create a car that got 100 mpg

I thought I saw a fella taking a spray can to a chain! It is a really neat article.

So Honda knows how to do this and reliably yet they dont? Because they would hate to make that much money?

Heating the fuel line.....interesting. most of us are chasing down cold air and intercoolers.....heated atomized fuel......

Maybe but I doubt it would be street legal. There is no shortage of government regulated crap you have to put in or on a car. Plus things that people want, like A/C and the ability to drive more than 30 mph.

If anyone could build a safe and reliable (and legal) 100 mpg car they would and the oil companies could not stop them. (and would be crucified if caught trying)

Still I like the video in the OP and am glad you brought it over. Thought provoking stuff for sure.

Won't happen until we do away with capitalism and the profit motive takes a back seat to other concerns

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Internal-Combustion-Corporations-Governments-Alternatives/dp/0312359071]Amazon.com: Internal Combustion: How Corporations and Governments Addicted the World to Oil and Derailed the Alternatives (9780312359072): Edwin Black: Books[/ame]

I suspect the result was rigged. The engine was completely insulated running at high temp causing the 2 gallons of crankcase oil to vaporize. This oil vapor was drawn into the intake along with the fuel vapor. It likely consumed far more crankcase oil than fuel. Guinness was fooled by this trick. The automobile will not travel far before it runs out of oil causing complete engine failure. The test run was only 14 miles.

It is very clever how these Shell Oil Refinery Engineers turned this engine into a small oil refinery that refined fuel that ran the engine out of it's own crankcase lubricating oil fooling everyone at that time. There are a lot more BTUs in oil than gasoline.

1. Not street legal. A highly modified Opel.
2. So under powered, that no one would want to drive it on public roads.
3. Very unsafe. Will not pass NHTSA guidelines or inspection.
4. No power steering.
5. Rough ride - No power robbing/ energy absorbing suspension.
6. No Air condition or heat.
7. Must drive a perfectly steady 30 mph. No stops or starts.
8. Very Slow.
9. One seat. No sound proofing.
10. Will not pass EPA emission guidelines.
11. No vibration/noise dampening energy absorbing rubber engine mounts.
12. Non reliable drive train.
13. Must wait until engine, oil & fuel Fuel system reach optimum temp before mileage is achieved.
14. No Lights or power anything.
15. No external Mirrors or Wipers.
16. Close together drive tires eliminated the need for a differential.
17. Bald tires pumped up to 100psi air pressure reduced rolling friction.
18. After reaching temp & speed it was only driven 14 miles on about 5oz of fuel.
19. Not reliable. Completely insulated engine will fail from lean condition & overheating.
20. The engine consumes more crankcase oil than tank fuel.

It is a TEST VEHICLE ONLY, and not practical for a daily commute, or a Saturday "Cruise" It was and is an Experimental Vehicle using tiny Tillotson Lawnmower Carburetor...and the test showed you could get great mileage if you didn't need ANY power for going uphill or stop & go traffic. It has no suspension to rob/absorb power. It is a great piece of History, and conversation piece. It has no practical value.

www.376milesPerGallon.com
Some folks at Shell Oil Co. wrote "Fuel Economy of the Gasoline Engine" (ISBN 0-470-99132-1); it was published by John Wiley & Sons, New York, in 1977. On page 42 Shell Oil quotes the President of General Motorshe, in 1929, predicted 80 MPG by 1939. Between pages 221 and 223 Shell writes of their achievements: 49.73 MPG around 1939; 149.95 MPG with a 1947 Studebaker in 1949; 244.35 MPG with a 1959 Fiat 600 in 1968; 376.59 MPG with a 1959 Opel in 1973. The Library of Congress (LOC), in September 1990, did not have a copy of this book. It was missing from the files. I bought my copy from Maryland Book Exchange around 1980 after a professor informed me that it was used as an engineering text at the University of West Virginia. VPI published a papaer. March 1979, concerning maximum achievable fuel economy. This paper has several charts illustrating achievable and impossible fuel economy. About 1980 I contacted the author concerning conflicts between the paper and documented achieved "impossible" mpg. The author said, "I will get back to you.". I am still waiting for his response

But don't be mislead into thinking this car could get you to town and back...and the technology is hardly applicable to getting miraculous mileage on a family car.

watch for this car to appear on highways near you ...ON A TRAILER...as it is NOT intended to be "roadworthy"

Notice the well insulated engine.
888.jpg

Last edited:

Maybe but I doubt it would be street legal. There is no shortage of government regulated crap you have to put in or on a car. Plus things that people want, like A/C and the ability to drive more than 30 mph.

If anyone could build a safe and reliable (and legal) 100 mpg car they would and the oil companies could not stop them. (and would be crucified if caught trying)

Still I like the video in the OP and am glad you brought it over. Thought provoking stuff for sure.

Who deems something legal and illegal?

I suspect the result was rigged. The engine was completely insulated running at high temp causing the 2 gallons of crankcase oil to vaporize. This oil vapor was drawn into the intake along with the fuel vapor. It likely consumed far more crankcase oil than fuel. Guinness was fooled by this trick. The automobile will not travel far before it runs out of oil causing complete engine failure. The test run was only 14 miles.

It is very clever how these Shell Oil Refinery Engineers turned this engine into a small oil refinery that refined fuel that ran the engine out of it's own crankcase lubricating oil fooling everyone at that time. There are a lot more BTUs in oil than gasoline.

1. Not street legal. A highly modified Opel.
2. So under powered, that no one would want to drive it on public roads.
3. Very unsafe. Will not pass NHTSA guidelines or inspection.
4. No power steering.
5. Rough ride - No power robbing/ energy absorbing suspension.
6. No Air condition or heat.
7. Must drive a perfectly steady 30 mph. No stops or starts.
8. Very Slow.
9. One seat. No sound proofing.
10. Will not pass EPA emission guidelines.
11. No vibration/noise dampening energy absorbing rubber engine mounts.
12. Non reliable drive train.
13. Must wait until engine, oil & fuel Fuel system reach optimum temp before mileage is achieved.
14. No Lights or power anything.
15. No external Mirrors or Wipers.
16. After reaching temp & speed it was only driven 14 miles on about 5oz of fuel.
17. Not reliable. Completely insulated engine will fail from lean condition & overheating.
18. The engine consumes more crankcase oil than tank fuel.

It is a TEST VEHICLE ONLY, and not practical for a daily commute, or a Saturday "Cruise" It was and is an Experimental Vehicle using tiny Tillotson Lawnmower Carburetor...and the test showed you could get great mileage if you didn't need ANY power for going uphill or stop & go traffic. It has no suspension to rob/absorb power. It is a great piece of History, and conversation piece. It has no practical value.

www.376milesPerGallon.com
Some folks at Shell Oil Co. wrote "Fuel Economy of the Gasoline Engine" (ISBN 0-470-99132-1); it was published by John Wiley & Sons, New York, in 1977. On page 42 Shell Oil quotes the President of General Motorshe, in 1929, predicted 80 MPG by 1939. Between pages 221 and 223 Shell writes of their achievements: 49.73 MPG around 1939; 149.95 MPG with a 1947 Studebaker in 1949; 244.35 MPG with a 1959 Fiat 600 in 1968; 376.59 MPG with a 1959 Opel in 1973. The Library of Congress (LOC), in September 1990, did not have a copy of this book. It was missing from the files. I bought my copy from Maryland Book Exchange around 1980 after a professor informed me that it was used as an engineering text at the University of West Virginia. VPI published a papaer. March 1979, concerning maximum achievable fuel economy. This paper has several charts illustrating achievable and impossible fuel economy. About 1980 I contacted the author concerning conflicts between the paper and documented achieved "impossible" mpg. The author said, "I will get back to you.". I am still waiting for his response

But don't be mislead into thinking this car could get you to town and back...and the technology is hardly applicable to getting miraculous mileage on a family car.

watch for this car to appear on highways near you ...ON A TRAILER...as it is NOT intended to be "roadworthy"

Notice the well insulated engine.
888.jpg

Why did I get this feeling that a oil company gave the warning when I viewed your link?

Who deems something legal and illegal?

Um.....is this a trick question? The same government which thank goodness doesnt let me burn dirty coal to heat my house cheaply, checks the brakes every couple years on my car, mandated unleaded fuel and keeps me from installing spikes alongside my fifty inch high bumpers to keep other cars from getting too close.

Some scientifically challenged on here?

Gas has X amount of BTU per gallon. BTU is a measure of available energy contained in Gasoline.
it takes X amount of energy to accelerate X amount of mass and over come wind resistance, gravity, rolling resistance, etc.

Yeah we all know that GM has been sitting on 100 MPG carbs for decades :D

Last edited:
Some scientifically challenged on here?

Gas has X amount of BTU per gallon. BTU is a measure of available energy contained in Gasoline.
it takes X amount of energy to accelerate X amount of mass and over come wind resistance, gravity, rolling resistance, etc.

Yeah we all know that GM has been sitting on 100 MPG carbs for decades :D

Holly and Edelbrock are in on it too! They are just trying to make this fuel injection stuff seem better to trick you!

LOL. THAT WAS A JOKE

And who always whines the loudest when our govt ups the mileage requirements on autos in the USA?
Just another thought.

Forum List

Back