The winning message

Discussion in 'Politics' started by LiberalNut, Nov 4, 2010.

1. LiberalNut

LiberalNut Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +49
    It is my thesis that the latest election has nothing to do with the policy prescriptions of either party. Rather, it has to do with a deep seeded notion that grows every day that not only Washington but America itself is broken. From the department of war (ridiculously called defense) to corporations, to banks, to school boards to departement of public works in anthill sized towns, the "average Joe" just perceives that the system, in the widest sense of that word, is not responding to his needs.

Republicans did not win this election cause the people want some inane strict constitutionalism or radical libertarianism. In the previous two elections Democrats did not win because the people wanted a massive expansion of government involvement in the economy. Both parties won in those years for the same reason. The American voter is simply doing what they do, throwing out the party in power and putting in the other team. They will keep doing this, repeatedly, till something fundamental changes in the system, in the widest sense of that word.

Thus, the winning message is not "really" based on policy. The winning political message is to attack institutions, all kinds of institutions, repeatedly and then, once you get power, the way to retain it will be to get to work changing those institutions so that the "average Joe" perceives that you are at least trying to improve his lot in life.

Consider the New Deal. By any honest account, much of the early New Deal failed, miserably. Did the voters punish the Dems for this? No. Why? Cause they PERCEIVED that the system was TRYING to change and to change in thier favor.

The back and forth turbulence of the present body politic is inexorably moving in one direction. Radical change. The people who finally gain and HOLD power, like the dems did in the 30s and held on for 40 years, will be those who are willing to openly criticize the system, in the widest sense of that word, and then get about showing a lot of activity toward changing said system.

The new, New Deal is what is coming. Clearly I think it isn't going to be this crop of tea baggers that is going to bring it about.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. LiberalNut

LiberalNut Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Why did my new thread get an "old" tag on it?

3. CrusaderFrank

CrusaderFrank Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +37,074
    Because it's old recycled Progressive ideas that have failed 100% of the time

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  4. RadiomanATL

RadiomanATL Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,836
    It's an automatic thing.

Haven't really looked into it, but I think it has to do with the number of posts made after yours. Doesn't really have to do with whether or not it's a thread starter post or not. I think the software just sees that xxx number of posts have been made since yours.

I could be wrong. Like I said, I don't pay that much attention to it. I sort threads by using the "Active Topics" link on the menu bar.

5. LiberalNut

LiberalNut Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Because it's old recycled Progressive ideas

But I purposely didn't put any policy in the post. Indeed, the thesis of the post was against doing such a thing.

6. topspin

topspin BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +196
    cause crying that they don't agree with your failed limosine liberal agenda is 2004

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. RadiomanATL

RadiomanATL Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,836
    Ahhhh....I was wrong.

It means you've already read the OP.

Nevermind.

8. CrusaderFrank

CrusaderFrank Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +37,074
    The New Deal was the biggest failure in recorded history, the only reason Obama and Krugman aren't laughed off the planet is because until recently Progressives have controlled the debate and have chalked up the New Deal as a big win.

That's done.

Obama's New Deal was aborted at the first possible chance voters had. Voters are rejecting "Mo n Bigga Gubbamint" as the answer to every problem real or imagined

9. Urkie

Urkie Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25
    As I said in the other thread. Both parties are corrupt and people are starting to realize that.

The way to win over the people is to stop doing business the way it's been done the last 10, 20 maybe even 30 years. The system is broken and it needs to be fixed. I don't forsee either party fixing it though because both are greedy and both have an agenda that never changes.

If all else fails then just abolish political parties. That will make the country so much better imo.

10. loosecannon

loosecannon Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +264
    but the dems just did this and all it did was piss Americans off. They spent a whole cycle promising hope and change and New Deals and America was underwhelmed because the economy still sucks.

Perhaps it is still the economy, stupid.