The winning message

Your op is 1000% WRONG!

The people voted directly because of the healthcare reform bill which is policy.

The people want it repealed that is why republicans were given another chance and they better not blow it.

right, mcconnel and boehner have already made it clear that the only thing on their agenda is 1)repealing healthcare, which wont happen; 2)getting obama out of office in 2012, which they might not, as 2 years of gridlock will leave the country right where it is now.
but when it comes down to actual solutions of how to improve unemployment, and how to "fix" healthcare, once again the gop comes up short. and by coming up short i mean they have no clue. however, in such a divisive age, they apparently think running against everything the party in power has done before you is enough. didnt work for obama, might not work for them.

The people voted directly because of the healthcare reform bill which is policy.

Exit polling data does not support this notion at all.

The pendulm stuck though, for 40 years, after the Depression. That's what I'm talking about.

I don't think Republicans or Democrats really care if they get voted out every couple of years any more. They'll take corporate campaign contributions, try and scratch corporate backs as much as they can, and then take cushy corporate jobs on their way out.

Campaign finance reform, my friends. The federal government could have financed every candidate equal to their opponents so people could compete on ideas and not air time. Campaigns should be 100% publicly financed and there should be no financial inequality between opposing campaigns.

it's possible the pendulum is getting stuck in the other direction, then.

I wouldn't think so. Conservatism is conservation of the status quo and the voter wants the status quo to change. Whatever the new liberalism looks like, and i really don't know what it will look like, it will not be the conservative vision.

Last edited:
I don't think Republicans or Democrats really care if they get voted out every couple of years any more. They'll take corporate campaign contributions, try and scratch corporate backs as much as they can, and then take cushy corporate jobs on their way out.

Campaign finance reform, my friends. The federal government could have financed every candidate equal to their opponents so people could compete on ideas and not air time. Campaigns should be 100% publicly financed and there should be no financial inequality between opposing campaigns.

youre right, thats how it should be. but then again, rich people should have the same representation in court as poor people so every offender goes to prison and not just to rehab in beverly hills if youre lyndsie lohan, but that doesnt happen, does it?

Oh fuck. I think I actually agree, for the most part, with nutty boy on this one. :eusa_eh:

:clap2:

youre right, thats how it should be. but then again, rich people should have the same representation in court as poor people so every offender goes to prison and not just to rehab in beverly hills if youre lyndsie lohan, but that doesnt happen, does it?

I think taking America back from corporations is a bit stronger impetus for reform than some celebrity drama.

It is my thesis that the latest election has nothing to do with the policy prescriptions of either party. Rather, it has to do with a deep seeded notion that grows every day that not only Washington but America itself is broken. From the department of war (ridiculously called defense) to corporations, to banks, to school boards to departement of public works in anthill sized towns, the "average Joe" just perceives that the system, in the widest sense of that word, is not responding to his needs.

Republicans did not win this election cause the people want some inane strict constitutionalism or radical libertarianism. In the previous two elections Democrats did not win because the people wanted a massive expansion of government involvement in the economy. Both parties won in those years for the same reason. The American voter is simply doing what they do, throwing out the party in power and putting in the other team. They will keep doing this, repeatedly, till something fundamental changes in the system, in the widest sense of that word.

Thus, the winning message is not "really" based on policy. The winning political message is to attack institutions, all kinds of institutions, repeatedly and then, once you get power, the way to retain it will be to get to work changing those institutions so that the "average Joe" perceives that you are at least trying to improve his lot in life.

Consider the New Deal. By any honest account, much of the early New Deal failed, miserably. Did the voters punish the Dems for this? No. Why? Cause they PERCEIVED that the system was TRYING to change and to change in thier favor.

The back and forth turbulence of the present body politic is inexorably moving in one direction. Radical change. The people who finally gain and HOLD power, like the dems did in the 30s and held on for 40 years, will be those who are willing to openly criticize the system, in the widest sense of that word, and then get about showing a lot of activity toward changing said system.

The new, New Deal is what is coming. Clearly I think it isn't going to be this crop of tea baggers that is going to bring it about.

You ought to pay more attention, in the widest sense of the word, to what's going on. The election "has nothing to do with the policy prescriptions of either party"...huh?

Tuesday's rebellion was a direct result of Obama policy. Poll after poll showed most Americans didn't want ObamaCare, trillion-plus dollar budget deficits, growing government, and on and on. It's Obama policy that's got people scared to death of the future because of his, and his cohorts in congress, wildly spending billions of dollars we don't have. And on Tuesday smart Americans told them where to stick their policy b.s.

Tuesday's rebellion was a direct result of Obama policy.

Exit polling does not support this notion in the least. Right wing narrative notwithstanding.

Oh fuck. I think I actually agree, for the most part, with nutty boy on this one.

Come to the light Jeremy. Come to the light.

Who says the last election was not about halting, and reversing, the extra-Constitution encroachment of the Federal government?

Just you?

The American system is to be preserved, not changed.

complete repudiation of Obama

Yeah, it kinda was but not for the reasons that the right wing noise machine is telling you. They wanted hope and change. They don't perceive they got it. They see the same old system.

Who says the last election was not about...

The voters in the exit polls. You should get real information rather than polluting your mind with the propaganda of the right wing noise machine.

Dude, you should really learn how to use the quote function. I'm just saying...

Forum List

Back