The Victim Card Played by So Many Atheists

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by IndependntLogic, Sep 14, 2011.

1. IndependntLogic

IndependntLogic Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +399
    So in another thread, some of the atheists were going batsh1t about how they are poor, oppressed victims, simply because faith exist in America. Obviously, not all atheists are such whackjobs but a couple started making bullsh1t claims, so I challenged them on their bs.

Here were the claims that were made are happening right now in this moment:

1. God / Faith whatever has invaded this poor victim's home, personal life etc...
    (when asked how, the poster said that he had to walk by people holding religious signs on his way into a baseball game! Wow! Not exactly an "invasion" LOL)
    2. God / Faith is currently invading his public schools. (Again I asked how. The response? A GOP candidate who hasn't even gotten the bid, won't be able to introduce legislation if elected, once said he would like to see creationism taught in schools.)
    3. God / Faith is invading science. He didn't even have something he could claim might maybe someday could be.... for this one.
    4. God / Faith has invaded his life through Federal Policy. Was he able to name a single policy in place that effects his life? Take a guess. Zero.

What prompted all the ridiculous claims by the two whackjobs in question, was I asked "Why do you care what I believe? So the point of my response in that thread and my view remains, I don't care what atheists believe. It's not my business. Why are they so emotionally charged about what I believe?
    And even though 86% of the world believes in a Supreme Being (more than the number who believe in Global Warming), I'm not going to insult atheists, say they are stupid, self-deluded etc... simply because they disbelieve what is obvious to the majority of the world. I'm not going to show prejudice by judging people based on religion. Even though that is exactly what many atheists do.

So atheists can start all the flame threads they want. They can play victim all day. I'm not buying it.

2. InDoctriNation

InDoctriNation Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +36
    I was with you until you brought up the fact that the majority of the world's population believes in a supreme being. While that may be true, popular opinion alone does not hold water when it comes to determining the truth of a claim. It doesn't matter how many people believe or don't believe in germ theory for instance, because all the evidence supports the theory. Also, the 86% of the world you have cited believe in a multitude of different supreme beings with different characteristics and different opinions of how humans should live their lives. What is obvious to one believer in a supreme being is apparently no so obvious to another believer who puts his or her faith in another supreme being (or beings). You'd think if there was one true God, he would be able to do a much more effective job of communicating His desires with the totality of His creation, which makes me think that religion is more of a by-product of culture and mythology than a pathway to some great, universal truth of the universe.

I think that most atheists do not care what you choose to believe, but if you bring up your beliefs you shouldn't expect us not to question them. Just as you have every right to do the same to us. I think people on both sides of the spectrum play the victim card at times, but I don't think it's quite as prevalent as you might think it is. The most vociferous people on either side are heard the most, and sometimes give the collective a bad name. However, I have seen my position as an atheist on the God question misrepresented by so many people that I can understand where the backlash is coming from. It's very irritating to see people dictating to atheists what the atheist believes instead of simply inquiring and listening. We don't have to have mutual respect for each other's beliefs, but we do need to understand what our opponents believe and we do need to have mutual respect for each other. As soon as that respect is compromised, then all bets for a civil debate are off.

3. Youwerecreated

Youwerecreated VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +174
    Hmm double standard,evolutionist believe majority rules when it comes to their theory.

4. InDoctriNation

InDoctriNation Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Scientific consensus through rigorous study and the peer review process is slightly different than the belief of a popular majority, but you are free to embrace whatever conspiracy theories you like. There are people out there who still believe the earth is flat as well:

The Flat Earth Society

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. PoliticalChic

PoliticalChic Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,037
    It is a grave mistake to allow the system, the society, to be directed
    by whomsoever claims to be offended.

Free speech is paramount.

6. Failzero

Failzero Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Ditto ,give the Pagan Wiccan Lesbian San Franpsycho/Marin/ Mount Shasta values crowd their say ...

7. IndependntLogic

IndependntLogic Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +399
    Again, I don't see Christians calling Atheists "Self-deluded, ignorant, fairy-tale believing, cave-man, stone-age dog molesters!" simply because they are atheists. But the atheists here sling all those insults (well, maybe not the dog-molester thing) every day, in threads they start just to show disrespect for those of faith.
    So you're right. If atheist could be a bit more respectful, intelligent and insightful in their posts, they would be much more interesting to engage.

8. InDoctriNation

InDoctriNation Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +36
    I haven't been on this board for very long, but from what I've been able to gather there are jackasses on either side of the debate, and the distribution seems to be fairly equal. I've heard people of faith say over and over again that atheists believe in nothing, that life has no meaning for atheists, that atheists are immoral, that atheists believe we came from nothing, etc. Religious folks also constantly tell atheists that they will burn in hell for all eternity just because they have the wrong answer to the God claim. If I'm debating with someone who thinks that not only am I going to face eternal torture after death, but that I also deserve said punishment (aka they agree with God's decision to punish me eternally), then how can I be expected to be respectful of this person's belief, let alone at all.

I find that you have generally been more respectful than most theists I've come across, and I hope I have had the same impression on you when it comes to atheists. I appreciate the conversation.

9. edthecynic

edthecynic Censored for Cynicism

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,725
    No, Christians prefer calling Atheists, amoral, immoral, incapable of morality, etc., simply because they don't believe in a God who punishes the immoral for all eternity. Christians tend to reap the respect they sow.

10. C_Clayton_Jones

C_Clayton_Jones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,869
    It’s not an invasion at all.

This would seem a legitimate concern from a legal standpoint, as teaching creationism in public schools is un-Constitutional. See: Edwards v. Aguillard (1987).

Then why even mention it?

One would hope so, as such a policy would be in violation of the Establishment Clause.

And that a majority might believe in a deity is in no way ‘proof’ one exists, nor is it ‘obvious.’