The value of slavery?

Thank you. There are good points there, but leaves it up to individuals to determine their qualification, and to determine the amount acceptable to each. At least once (that I know of), such a program of reparation has been implemented and paid for: Black Farmers to Receive Payouts in $1.2 Billion from Federal Lawsuit. It was fraught with fraud and abuse and left too many legitimate claimants unrewarded.
I'm actually looking for your calculations and how you determine them. Do you not consider the myriad of other programs, like Affirmative Action, that addressed past discrimination, to have been at least partially helpful?
The Black Farmers payout didnt have anything to do with slavery. That was a seperate issue.

"This is the second round of funding for black farmers. Thousands received payments in 1999 as part of a settlement in a class-action suit over allegations of widespread discrimination by federal officials who denied loans and other assistance to black farmers because of their race."

I havent made any calculations simply because I think its futile to waste time on something whites will fight to their dying breath. As long as whites control the system its not going to happen.

Why would I consider AA when AA has not been a Black only benefit? Matter of fact white women are the largest beneficiaries of AA which has increased the economic gap between whites and Blacks. There simply has never ever been a payout for the lost wages Blacks were denied during slavery.
I think that more people would be more receptive if provided some definite numbers. A vague claim of "some" money for "some" perceived hurt is probably much less helpful than someone actually posting a calculation of benefits denied. If someone (maybe you) could make a concrete estimate of lost wages blacks were denied, plus interest, you might find a better reception for you claims.
I dont think whites would ever be receptive to any figure. Its easily in the trillions. Also its not a perceived hurt. Its a real theft of wages which have never been paid. I am not looking for better reception. I dont care how whites feel about it. My argument is that its owed. Whites are unethical so I expect them to never want this country to pay its debts to Blacks because it would erase their white only AA that went on for centuries and one of the primary reasons the economic gap exists today.
As a native american, I know you will be disappointed, Or maybe not. You agree that you expect no better reception they you receive. Oh, and given limited Federal funding, who do you think is owed the first round of retributions, blacks or native americans?
Native Americans are the only race that should be given any money by the Government. They are the only race that the Government directly destroyed. Slaves were owned by individuals.

Native Americans are the only race that should be given any money by the Government. They are the only race that the Government directly destroyed. Slaves were owned by individuals.
And who created and enforced the laws that made it legal for white individuals to enslave, abuse and violate the human rights of other human beings of African descent (but not white human beings), including the Fugitive Slave Act? That's government created, sanctioned and enforced abuse.

One of the primary concerns after the slaves were freed was compensation to the slave owners for the "loss" of their "property". Hopefully that should tell you something.

Just wanted to throw this in here - be back later

Wage theft is the illegal practice of not paying workers for all of their work including; violating minimum wage laws, not paying overtime, forcing workers to work off the clock, and much more. It is a major problem statewide.
When a Holocaust survivor dies, the reparations stop.

And who created and enforced the laws that made it legal for white individuals to enslave, abuse and violate the human rights of other human beings of African descent (but not white human beings), including the Fugitive Slave Act? That's government created, sanctioned and enforced abuse.

One of the primary concerns after the slaves were freed was compensation to the slave owners for the "loss" of their "property". Hopefully that should tell you something.
Who sold the slaves in the first place? People ( black ) from countries in Africa. Those countries made it legal to sell slaves lets have them belly up. Why aren't you going after the families of the slave owners?

I wasn't aware of that but my comment was in response to someone who seemed to believe that if an employer owes wages to someone who dies, that he is then off the hook for those wages which is simply not true.
Explain.
Here
The value of lost wages to a dead person is $0 USD
Completely untrue. Wages owed at the time of death are still owed to the decedant's estate or benficiary.

I wasn't aware of that but my comment was in response to someone who seemed to believe that if an employer owes wages to someone who dies, that he is then off the hook for those wages which is simply not true.
Explain.
Here
Completely untrue. Wages owed at the time of death are still owed to the decedant's estate or benficiary.
Who owes the descendent?

Explain.
Here
That’s not an answer.

That’s not an answer.
What is not an answer?
Quote the Law, not a post by another user.
The TNHarley quote is what I was responding to. As I'm sure you know estate law is regulated at the state level so it varies from state to state

LAST WAGES DUE DECEASED EMPLOYEE
Under certain circumstances, Tennessee law allows employers to pay to the surviving spouse or children (possible beneficiaries) of a deceased employee the last wages and other benefits due the deceased employee without a court order .

30-2-103. Designation of beneficiary -- Wages and debts owed deceased employee.
TN - Tennessee Code Annotated Tenn. Code Ann. § 30-2-103

Title 30 Administration of Estates > Chapter 2 Management, Settlement and Distribution > Part 1 Allowances to Family

(a) (1) An employee may designate a beneficiary to receive payment for any wages or salary due such employee at the time of the employee's death. (2) The employer is encouraged to inform the employee of this right at the time the employee is hired. (3) If the employee fails to designate such beneficiary as provided for in subdivision (a)(1), the employer shall pay out such wages and salary according to subsection (b). (b) (1) A sum not exceeding ten thousand dollars ($10,000) is authorized to be paid directly to the surviving spouse of a decedent, ...
In general

Final paycheck issued after death
What do you do if an employee suddenly dies, and you still owe them wages? What you will do varies slightly depending on when you distribute the deceased employee wages.

In all cases, you will make the final payment to the employee’s beneficiary or estate. Have the beneficiary or estate representative complete Form W-9 so you have their information. It could take a while to receive the completed Form W-9 if the estate needs to obtain an employer identification number (EIN).

Once you receive the beneficiary’s or estate’s information, you will make the final paycheck out to the beneficiary or estate. You must report the gross amount on Form 1099-MISC in box 3. Use the information you received on Form W-9 to fill out IRS Form 1099-MISC.
What to Do With Deceased Employee Wages

As if this is such a hard question :rolleyes:
Who owes the slaves descendents reparations?
Who create the harm?
People that died a long time ago.
And how long was the harm that they created left in place to keep doing harm to additional generations of individuals?
The harm was created by those that sold them as well as the ones who bought the. At this point none including those that were bought and sold exist. Therefore nothing is owed to anyone.

Forum List

Back