The USA Is NOT A Christian Nation?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by bush lover, Jul 28, 2005.

1. bush lover

bush lover Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Unlike most governments of the past, the American Founding Fathers set up a government divorced from any religion. Their establishment of a secular government did not require a reflection to themselves of its origin; they knew this as a ubiquitous unspoken given. However, as the United States delved into international affairs, few foreign nations knew about the intentions of the U.S. For this reason, an insight from at a little known but legal document written in the late 1700s explicitly reveals the secular nature of the U.S. goverenment to a foreign nation. Officially called the "Treaty of peace and friendship between the United States of America and the Bey and Subjects of Tripoli, of Barbary," most refer to it as simply the Treaty of Tripoli. In Article 11, it states:

"As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion; as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquillity, of Musselmen; and as the said States never have entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mehomitan nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries."

2. William Joyce

William Joyce Chemotherapy for PC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
    This is clearly an oversight.

I hereby move that the United States of America be declared a Christian nation. Although I cannot truly call myself a Christian, the shock, dismay, disappointment and other negative feelings to be experienced by those I generally dislike upon such a declaration is simply too delicious not to want this declaration. If I can watch as just one Upper West Side liberal ACLU-donating SPLC-supporting NPR-subscribing ninny shifts in his chair as the Holy Name of Jesus Christ is mentioned by a public official, it will be worth it, baby!

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    This, of course was written durring Jefferson's Presidency, I believe?

4. elephant

elephant Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18
    GW

5. colehart

colehart Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The problem (as I see it) is when other cultures come here to be free from oppression or just for the opportunity to better themselves, they don't leave their culture behind. You get a variety of cultures wanting our laws to be changed to fit the lifestyle they left behind. Don't have a problem with them coming over here or keeping their culture as long as it doesn't interfere with our culture. When our laws are changed for their benefit is when I get a bit perturbed.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. Bonnie

Bonnie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Agreed, this country was designed for religious freedom even if the Founders never specifically attached a specific religion but did associate themselves with God and used God as the moral basis for the documents and laws they created. Most important to them was to keep religious tyranny from happening.