The Tyranny Of Stuff

Discussion in 'Health and Lifestyle' started by Madeline, Nov 25, 2010.

1. Madeline

Madeline BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,624
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/25/garden/25clean.html?pagewanted=1

When I was newly married, I visited my in-laws at their home and watched a truely horrifying scene unfold. My FIL had a collection of slides he had piled precariously high in stacks on a tv tray -- clearly days of work, but foolishly fragile. My nephew, who was six, bumped the table and the slides went everywhere. My FIL flew into a rage that has prolly stayed with that child, and has certainly stayed with me -- I was actually afraid for the little boy's safety for a long moment.

We all have stuff we love, stuff we dun love but need and stuff we want -- but do you own your stuff or does it own you?

I'm not ready for bare walls and books I throw away after I read them, but I am finally free of such lunacy as the 20 years' worth of collected frog figurines.

Your thoughts?

Last edited: Nov 26, 2010
  2. glew

glew BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I understand how this happens...most of us get a home...a family...and "stuff" piles up. It becomes part of our lives as much as family. Since I have lost everything, I also understand how much more free we are when all of that worry goes away, and the world dosen't end. I have never been more happy, fearless, and free in my life. A place to stay and something to get you around is all I will ever "need" again. Nice thread Madeline :)

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Mr. H.

Mr. H. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,394
    My 3 year old once knocked over a commemorative plate that was near and dear to me. I ranted and raved then gave him a hug and said it's just a thing.

4. Mr. H.

Mr. H. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,394
    And what's the deal with those cake baking shows where they spend hours creating these elaborate 6 ft. tall artistic masterpieces, only to have to carry them across the stage to another table? What a waste.

5. Mr. H.

Mr. H. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,394
    What is........

[​IMG]

.... the deal?

6. Madeline

Madeline BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,624
    In the case of my FIL, his rage seemed to be that others did not value his stuff as highly as he did. (And that 6 year olds are occassionally uncoordinated.) For too many of us, our stuff is us. We are ready to defend the lawn, the car or the sneakers with the vigor we should reserve for defending another person.

7. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,927
    dr h for a cake to work....you must be able to transport it....that is why they must move it to another table...

stuff...i am trying to pack up a house that nothing has been tossed from in we figure 47 years or so...stuff...300 to 500 groceries bags..paper ones...why when you didnt use the first 100 did you keep collecting them?

i use to collect books....cookbooks had 100s of them...then a friend died...he had perhaps 10,000 books...i saw what this put this family thru...i gave my cookbooks away...(she has had to move them 3 times now) i try to keep the stuff down...even with that....i have way too much stuff and what is the value of all this stuff?

8. roomy

roomy The Natural

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +950
    Probably bothers you more than it did/does the kid.He'll smash a lot of other stuff and get a rollicking for it before he learns to slow down and behave himself.

9. mudwhistle

mudwhistle Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +26,202
    I collect hardback books and movies. I have a personal library of both. Some people line their walls with Hummel figurines....some with books. Being surrounded by your stuff is comforting till you have to move.

10. mudwhistle

mudwhistle Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +26,202
    I have two cats.

I love plants.

They love them too.

My plants suffer for it.