The Tonight Show....Gone?

Mr. P

VIP Member
Aug 5, 2004
South of the Mason Dixon
Okay, I've been a fan for many years (almost 40), Johnny was the best host IMO.
I didn't agree with Leno as his replacement, but I admit he's done a great job.
But now I hear when he leaves he has chosen this O'brian guy for his replacement.
Have you guys seen his show? I think he's a childish buffoon and will totally kill "The Tonight Show" as we've known it for so long.

-=d=- said:
Conan is a comedic genious.
Conan used to write for Saturday Night Live.
I guess it was because there were other writers that made it funny. Sorry, but I dislike Conan as much as any person can.

I can't stand O'Brien. Being a good comedy writer does not make you a good host. Remember, the Tonight Show is not just about jokes, it is also about interviewing people, etc. If they bring the stuff from Conan's show to the Tonight Show, it will be a miserable failure. Again the network(s) is (are) catering to the demographic they always *think* is best, but which is not... the 20 something crowd. All the shows these days seem to cater to them yet study after study shows they are the least spending demographic. They should target more of the "middle-aged" crowd. The people with disposable income.

Joz said:
Conan used to write for Saturday Night Live.

Exactly. Being a writer for a show and hosting a show are two different matters. He is a great writer, I give him that. But his on TV image and personality are severely lacking in my opinion.

If being a good comedic writer was what makes a good host, then Rob Reiner should be the new host.

Mr. P said:
:laugh: I guess that why he's on 12:30Pm eastern time... :laugh:

why is that funny? that's exactly why - he can do things like the Insult Comic Dog, etc...(shrug). Maybe you just don't 'get' or 'understand' the humour?

-=d=- said:
why is that funny? that's exactly why - he can do things like the Insult Comic Dog, etc...(shrug). Maybe you just don't 'get' or 'understand' the humour?
Oh stop trying to jerk my chain D...He's an idiot.

Remember when Chevy Chase tried his hand at hosting his own show? To me, he's one of the all-time greats when it comes to comedic acting. One of the worst hosts I've ever seen.

-=d=- said:
wow..defensive...I bet his IQ is 20 points higher than any of 'us'.
How many people do you know that are "smart" but dumb as a rock when it comes to common sense? One's IQ is not all that is involved in being "intelligent". There are a lot of idiot sevants in this world.

Mr. P said:
:D I know people with IQs 50 points
higher than any of "us", they're not funny nor entertaining either, what's your point?

Mr. P said:
...(Conan is) an idiot.

That'd be 'false'. Because 'you' can't get his humour doesn't make him an idiot...calling him an idiot, or touting about his comedy-skills, etc, doesn't make you look any smarter. Here's what it does...get a pen, cuz you'll wanna take notes....I'll wait.

People lash out at things they don't understand. They try to use hyperbole and ranting and raving and complaining about things in an effort to get people on 'their' side of an issue.

"Bush is a Nazi!"
"Clinton is a Whore!"
"Conan O'Brien is an Idiot!"
"Chevy's SUCK!"
"Import Cars SUCK!"

None of those is true - knowing the 2nd in the list is the MOST likely to BE true.

Stop feeding your ego by merely insulting those whose brand of comedy doesn't suit you.

It's just fine to think or indicate or type or say something like "I don't 'get' him. His material simply doesn't 'do-it' for me."

That, at least, is respectable. Conan is hired to do a job. That job is to help increase a company's revenue. He does that job better than 'you' or 'I' could do. Plus....he's very....VERY....funny.

:)

Forum List

Back