The Threat From Intelligent Design

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by Hobbit, Feb 5, 2006.

1. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
    http://www.glennbeck.com/al/index.shtml

I think he says it better than I do.

2. LuvRPgrl

LuvRPgrl Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +206
    Hey, but its really, really REALLY important we keep religion out of our schools so our K-12 students can continue getting the excellent education afforded all of them ever since we started dismissing religion out of schools.

Oh wait, I just checked the stats, our elementary, high school levels of education continue to deteriorate, a pattern that has been in place since educators and politicians have decided to rid the playgrounds of that perverbial boogie man, God.

3. Abbey Normal

Abbey Normal Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Excellent article, Hobbit. :thup:

4. liberalogic

liberalogic Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +49
    As I've mentioned numerous times, I am a fervent adversary to Intelligent Design in the science classroom. But I will say that that is a great article. It points out that evolution is not definitive and the line that I respect the most is: "Discussion? Free speech? Opposing viewpoints? I can think of nothing more tragic than open-minded discussion."

This is true. I believe that everything that we learn is questionable in one way or another. At the same time, though, I still oppose ID in the science classroom. I was given a link a few weeks ago that was intended to demonstrate the validity of ID as a science, yet after researching, I saw no indication whatsoever to support its premise. I've come to the conclusion that I'm not against ID because of its religious background (though I do believe in separation of church and state), I'm against it because it is untestable. If we had factual evidence from this designer (aka God), then there would be no way for me to refute it as a science. But the fact remains that we don't have that evidence. While evolution is a theory and while it may have its flaws, much of it can be tested and analyzed, which is why it is classified as a science.

I don't oppose ID in a science class to eliminate free-speech or inquiry; I do so because it is not a science and the name of the course that we're talking about is science. I encourage the infiltration of ID in philosophy, theology, culture, etc. types of classes. That is where we should be questioning and proposing theories that don't necessarily need to be tested.

5. SpidermanTuba

SpidermanTuba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +258

Its important to keep religion out of science class.

ID does not belong is a discussion about science, in any way, shape or form. It has absolutely no value whatsoever as a scientific theory.

At present time there is no scientific alternative to evolution, no competing theory. So there isn't really any alternative viewpoints that need discussing in the context of science.

6. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    That may be true. So is the fact that you are a fuctard.

7. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    My bad, as a mod I'm not supposed to flame. Sorry.

8. SpidermanTuba

SpidermanTuba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +258
    :gives:

9. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Not me, asshat! :D

10. LuvRPgrl

LuvRPgrl Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +206
    And yet in a small school district ourside of Sacramento, Ca., they offered an elective philosophy class on ID, whereas the ACLU threatened to sue them to remove it. The school district would have bankrupted themselves fighting the ACLU in court, so they capitulated. Yep, that ever vigilant fighter for freedom, the ACLU wins again.