The Tax Cut Myth

Temporarily? Revenues have been increasing for the last four years, and are at record levels today

Now is the time for more tax cuts - not tax increases as the Dems want

your are wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!! hahaha!

Now is the time for SPENDING CUTS.

good morning, where have you been?

Care

your are wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!! hahaha!

Now is the time for SPENDING CUTS.

good morning, where have you been?

Care

If you want spending cuts - get the money out of the hands of Congress

Now, Dems want to raise taxes so they can spend even more money Care

Cut taxes and let the earners keep more of their own money

Temporarily? Revenues have been increasing for the last four years, and are at record levels today

I've asked this question many times, and you have yet to answer...I guess I'll ask again:

If you really want to cut spending, why do you care about revenues? The only thing more revenues do is allow the Government to increase spending.

You know what causes larger tax revenues? Inflation and government spending. The more money our government throws into the economy, the larger amount there is to get taxed, increasing their revenue without balancing the budget.

I've asked this question many times, and you have yet to answer...I guess I'll ask again:

If you really want to cut spending, why do you care about revenues? The only thing more revenues do is allow the Government to increase spending.

and for about the fifth time in this thread, I have said it is time for more tax cuts

You know what causes larger tax revenues? Inflation and government spending. The more money our government throws into the economy, the larger amount there is to get taxed, increasing their revenue without balancing the budget.

so more people working, buying, investing, and business expansion does not generate tax revenues?

so more people working, buying, investing, and business expansion does not generate tax revenues?

No, that's the opposite of what I said. More people working, buying, investing, etc. due to the government dumping tons of spending into the economy increases tax revenues. It's not so simple to say that all of our gains in tax revenues have been coming from cutting taxes instead of a combination of our greatly increased spending and inflation. The ultimate goal is to balance the budget, not increase tax revenues. You seem to only talk about our tax revenue, but if you only care about increasing tax revenue then you would support increased governmental spending.

No, that's the opposite of what I said. More people working, buying, investing, etc. due to the government dumping tons of spending into the economy increases tax revenues. It's not so simple to say that all of our gains in tax revenues have been coming from cutting taxes instead of a combination of our greatly increased spending and inflation. The ultimate goal is to balance the budget, not increase tax revenues. You seem to only talk about our tax revenue, but if you only care about increasing tax revenue then you would support increased governmental spending.

Yea, there is no proof tax cuts increase revenues

It happend when JFK cut taxes

It happened when Reagan cut taxes

It happened when Pres Bush cut taxes

What does that prove?

What is the optimum level of taxes for the highest level of budgetary receipts, then RSR? 0%?

Tax revenues fell after the first year of Reagan's tax cuts, then rose after Reagan raised taxes in 1982 and 1984.

chart_edwards_reagan6-9.gif

http://www.nationalreview.com/nrof_comment/edwards200406090833.asp

Notice that spending didn't fall. Perhaps Reagan was a Keynesian in reverse.

You might want to read David Stockman's biography about the budgeting process under Reagan.

Revenues user Reagan DOUBLED in eight years

Right now, tax revenues are at record levels and increasing

Libs think raising taxes increases revenues - but the opposite is true

If you want people to invest, business to expand, and people to start their own business - you let them keep more of their own money

What is the optimum level of taxes for the highest level of budgetary receipts, then RSR? 0%?

You can't teach him the Laffer curve. Believe me, I've tried :eusa_doh:. He has no concept of Economics.

Revenues user Reagan DOUBLED in eight years

Right now, tax revenues are at record levels and increasing

Libs think raising taxes increases revenues - but the opposite is true

If you want people to invest, business to expand, and people to start their own business - you let them keep more of their own money

Again, under Reagan we greatly increased spending, and we still had inflation. We don't want higher tax revenues, we want a balanced budget. You can't say, well now we're taking in so much money all we have to do is cut government spending and we'll have a surplus, because cutting spending will also decrease our revenue.

You seem to like simple questions, so when was the last time we had a balanced budget? It was after a tax increase. Despite Reagan's huge gain in tax revenue, did we have a budget surplus? Nope. How about under Bush's tax cuts? Nope.

You can't teach him the Laffer curve. Believe me, I've tried :eusa_doh:. He has no concept of Economics.

Again, under Reagan we greatly increased spending, and we still had inflation. We don't want higher tax revenues, we want a balanced budget. You can't say, well now we're taking in so much money all we have to do is cut government spending and we'll have a surplus, because cutting spending will also decrease our revenue.

You seem to like simple questions, so when was the last time we had a balanced budget? It was after a tax increase. Despite Reagan's huge gain in tax revenue, did we have a budget surplus? Nope. How about under Bush's tax cuts? Nope.

Under Reagan, Dems increased spending

Under Clinton, Republicans cut spending (something they forgot about) and the economy was in a recession when Bush took office in 2001

Currently, Dems want to raise traxes and increase spending

Tax cuts work everytime - now we need more tax cuts and to cut spending

So Reagan didn't approve the budget?

Under Clinton, Republicans cut spending (something they forgot about) and the economy was in a recession when Bush took office in 2001

You mean to say the Republican Congress that was responsible for our great spending increase under W was responsible for the spending cut under Clinton? Highly doubtful that they suddenly decided to greatly increase their spending. It's much more likely the change in spending was due to the change in Presidency.

When have tax cuts balanced the budget?

Reagan had to work with the Dem Congress - and the economy rolled along

Yes, the Republicans w=ho cut spending under Clinton forgot what they were to do once they came into power

Current projections show the Federal Budget may balance by late 2008

Reagan had to work with the Dem Congress - and the economy rolled along.

Or the Dem Congress had to work with Reagan. I don't believe their proposed budgets were that different from Reagan's recommendations.

Yes, the Republicans w=ho cut spending under Clinton forgot what they were to do once they came into power

You're very close to seeing the light. The Republicans wanted to increase spending all along, especially defense funding. They're huge fans of Star Wars programs and such. But Clinton kept them out of power, as you acknowledge. The Reps knew any of their large budgets wouldn't be approved by Clinton, so there was nothing they could do except submit small budgets. Hence Clinton was responsible for the spending cuts ;).

Current projections show the Federal Budget may balance by late 2008

What a confident statement! Can you remind me again, didn't we raise taxes the last time we balanced the budget? When was the last time that we had a tax cut and balanced the budget?

So you want to go back to the days of higher taxes with a top rate of 70% as it was under Pres Peanut Carter?

How much more in taxes do you deem the workers should pay?

Remember the Dems have voted for a $400 billion tax increase

We have a budget of nearly $3 trillion - how much more do you want to expand it and what is not being funded to your level of satisfaction

So you want to go back to the days of higher taxes with a top rate of 70% as it was under Pres Peanut Carter?

How much more in taxes do you deem the workers should pay?

Remember the Dems have voted for a $400 billion tax increase

We have a budget of nearly $3 trillion - how much more do you want to expand it and what is not being funded to your level of satisfaction

No, I want to go back to the days of the budget surplus under Clinton by letting the current tax cuts expire.

I think we should cut funding, not increase it.

No, I want to go back to the days of the budget surplus under Clinton by letting the current tax cuts expire.

I think we should cut funding, not increase it.

so you supoport a $400 billion tax increase - where even retired couples and minimum wage workers will pay more in taxes?

Currently, Dems want to raise traxes and increase spending

Discretionary non-defense spending rose at a faster pace under the previous 6 years of Bush - including the 4 when the GOP controlled both chambers - than it did under Slick Willie.

Its a joke to think that the Republicans are the party of fiscal responsibility.

Forum List

Back