The system works, stop whining.

Yet another thread complaining about how the Government does one of the few things it does that is actually it's job to do. I don't know, Some think they have rights to anything I guess. Well, you don't have the right to choose what security checks you want to go through. Not if you want to get on a public airliner. And aren't we glad that the terrorists have to work so hard to get anything on board with you?

It is not the government's job to provide security for private companies.

How long is that going to be left as an option? They are already moving the TSA into train, and bus, stations.

TSA Holds Security Checks At Orlando Train Station - Orlando News Story - WESH Orlando

People have been known to put bombs in trucks, and even cars, and it is a matter of national security to make sure it never happens here.

Careful, QW. Your paranoia is showing again. Common carriers are one thing, and operate under different rules in exchange for the benefits they receive . But somehow I rather doubt DHS will be gaining control over individuals' private property in violation of the 4th and 5th Amendments anytime soon.

Correct me if I am wrong, but my body, and any luggage I might carry aboard a common carrier is my private property. Also, the interstate highway system is generally considered to be part of a common carrier, and cannot be regulated by states. (I know I am wording that poorly, not being a lawyer and all, but I hope you get my point.) What is to prevent the government from setting up checkpoints for explosives? They already have them for illegal aliens, so it would not be that much of a stretch.

Just because I am paranoid does not mean that they are not out to get me.

Sure, even paranoids have enemies. But 4th Amendment law is complicated, and has changed some since I learned it. I wouldn't want to start listing all of the complexities for fear of giving you something outdated.

I will say your characterization of the interstate highway system is incorrect. The interstate highways are not "carriers" at all. Common carriers are transportation services that carry goods or passengers for the general public. Such as airlines, cabs, buses, trollies, ferry services, etc. Private vehicles and even private charter services don't qualify. A piece of road definitely doesn't, any more than the bay a ferry carries passengers across or the air a plane flies through.

The interstate highways are also under the control and enforcement of the States. Please don't tell me I'm the only one who's gotten pulled over by a State Trooper on an interstate. :redface: While the Feds retain a certain amount of control tied to highway funding mandates, the States are the ones in charge of law enforcement.

When, where and why checkpoints can be set up and which searches can be performed under what conditions is complex, it's not as easy as "They can do sobriety checkpoints so they can set up anywhere, anytime and search for anything". Same thing with luggage on a plane. But since I'm not as up on the details as I might be I'll leave that to somebody like George who deals with it on a regular basis if he should happen along.

Yet another thread complaining about how the Government does one of the few things it does that is actually it's job to do. I don't know, Some think they have rights to anything I guess. Well, you don't have the right to choose what security checks you want to go through. Not if you want to get on a public airliner. And aren't we glad that the terrorists have to work so hard to get anything on board with you?

It is not the government's job to provide security for private companies.

They're not providing security for private companies, they are providing security for the airlanes, which are owned by , you got it, the federal government. It's really no different than having a safety check for vehicles.

Forum List

Back