Justice Very, Very Delayed

Discussion in 'Law and Justice System' started by Madeline, Nov 15, 2010.

1. Madeline

Madeline BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,624
    In my lifetime, terrible crimes were committed and never addressed. With the murder trial of former Alabama state trooper James Bonard Fowler for the murder of civil rights protestor Jimmie Lee Jackson in 1965 set to begin jury selection today, one less injustice remains unaddressed.

The accussed.....

[​IMG]

Jury Selection Begins For Civil-Rights Cold Case : NPR

What are your thoughts on trials that take place decades after the crime occurred?

2. goldcatt

goldcatt Catch me if you can! Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,331
    Difficult I'm sure, but in this case absolutely necessary if the evidence can be assembled. The families of those murdered to protect Jim Crow deserve closure. The families of any person murdered for any reason deserve closure. Git 'er done!

3. Madeline

Madeline BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,624
    It is a disgrace this took 45 years to bring to trial, IMO. The only thing that would be worse is never trying it at all.

4. goldcatt

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,331
    You know why it wasn't brought to trial immediately, Maddy. After a certain period of time attitudes change, but there was probably an unwillingness to spend the resources on it and frankly they probably didn't want the publicity to raise old memories. Then they may have doubted their ability to get a conviction. Now that somebody else has gone first, they're jumping on the bandwagon. That's the nature of the beast.

I don't care why they're doing it, frankly. As long as they do it.

5. Mini 14

Mini 14 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +570
    Fowler will walk. While I tend to believe Fowler's account of the events (that Jackson was trying to grab Fowler's firearm), we will never know the truth. Too many of the witnesses and principals have died.

Our justice system has been broken for decades. This is just another example of it.

6. goldcatt

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,331
    Don't be so sure they'll never get a conviction. No prosecutor worth his political salt is going to bring this kind of high profile, no holds barred case without evidence in hand.

There are problems with the justice system, it's made and run by humans after all and nothing we do is without its flaws. But similar cases have been brought recently under the same conditions and after the same amount of time and been successful. I'd sit back and watch, you just might be surprised.

7. Madeline

Madeline BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,624
    In the other cases, the defendant had confessed to the crime to someone or a co-conspirator had come forward to give evidence against him. I wonder what they can have on Fowler apart from the bare facts: Fowler was the aggressor, he pursued the victim and the victim was gut shot whilst unarmed.

8. Mini 14

Mini 14 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +570
    I'm not saying he can't be convicted, I just give very little probability that a guilty verdict can be returned based on the evidence that still exists.

Unlike Maddy, I wasn't there, and don't know all the facts first-hand.

But I know the jury pool.

Fowler will walk because murder must be proven not by a preponderance, but beyond a reasonable doubt. Fowler says Jackson reached for his weapon. It is going to be hard to prove that isn't true, 45 years later, when the two star witnesses have already been laid to rest.

It will all hinge on Maddy's testimony, I'm guessing.

9. goldcatt

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,331
    If they're in voir dire now we shouldn't have to wait long to find out. But I can't imagine any prosecutor who wants to be reelected bringing this case without having something up his sleeve. It will be interesting to see what it is.

Sounds like there may be a confession at that, on re-reading the OP. If he's admitting to doing the shooting but claiming self-defense, you have an admission. Now all you need is the evidence to defeat the affirmative defense. Wanna bet some of the people in the diner that night are still alive, kicking and cooperating? Or gave affidavits at the time that can be brought into evidence, or both.

10. L.K.Eder

L.K.Eder unbannable non-troll

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,801
    a vietnam war veteran?