The Stimulus, The DOE, and Solar Power

Mustang

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2010
39° 44 mins 21 secs N, 104° 59 mins 5 secs W
I thought that people might like to know how some of the stimulus money is being spent. You know...winning the future?

The U.S. Department of Energy said on Wednesday it's offering a partial guarantee for a $1.4 billion loan that will fund Project Amp, which will erect solar panels on hundreds of rooftops around the country. The project is the largest rooftop solar plan in the country.

Through a loan guarantee, the government promises to repay the loan if the borrower can't. The DOE didn't specify how much of the $1.4 billion loan for Project Amp it is guaranteeing. The FIPP program allows the DOE to back 80 percent of a loan. FIPP focuses on backing projects that use more mature technologies, and it relies on private investors to secure the loans. In another part of the loan guarantee program, the government will provide the loans as well, through the Federal Financing Bank.
Project Amp will be carried out in phases. NRG Energy is the lead investor in the first phase, which will include a 15.4 MW array in Southern California. Southern California Edison will buy power from phase 1 of the project, which could add solar in as many as 28 states and the District of Columbia. Construction of the 15.4 MW project will begin before Sept. 30 this year.

In addition to the loan guarantee for Project Amp, the DOE has backed large solar farms in other regions of California and other southwestern states. Those projects include a 500 MW solar farm (part of a 1,000 MW project) by Solar Trust Of America, which held a ground breaking ceremony for the project in California last week. Another one under construction is a 392 MW plant in California by BrightSource Energy.

Amp Is Largest Solar Rooftop Project In America

Ha ha ha fucking ha. Solar power. obie doodle just increased his limo pool by 76%.. gore goes on aeroplanes and meech is frolicking on the taxpayers dime in Africa and how did she get there? Not by no ha ha ha fricking ha solar power.. Thanks asshole but no thanks. quit pissing our money away.

Ha ha ha fucking ha. Solar power. obie doodle just increased his limo pool by 76%.. gore goes on aeroplanes and meech is frolicking on the taxpayers dime in Africa and how did she get there? Not by no ha ha ha fricking ha solar power.. Thanks asshole but no thanks. quit pissing our money away.

Germany has made a major commitment to solar power. We're finally doing something to catch up to them in many areas of renewable and clean energy.

Government guaranteeing private sector activities...yeah, no way that can go wrong

I had a guy come over here last summer, I have posted this before so I am gonna keep it short; he specced the house etc etc ..after all the tax breaks, rebates, buy backs on surplus generated current back etc. I would still be on the hook for 14k...

I pay 400 a month, my expected reduction would be approx 65 a month.........

so boys and girls how many years to recoup my 14K?

17 and change at the current rates........I told the guy to pound sand.

Germany has made a major commitment to solar power. We're finally doing something to catch up to them in many areas of renewable and clean energy.

Gemany ain't my idea of a role model. fuckwit.

soon as meech and obie doodle put their money where their ass is let us know.. mkay?? that goes for that insane al gore too.

stimulusmotivationcopy.jpg

Want more solar panels? Be prepared for less computer processors. They both use silicon and right now the processor industry can pay a whole lot more. Which do you think most americans want, expensive as hell solar panels, or faster computers?

The Solar Silicon Shortage and Its Impact on Solar Power Stocks

Silicon isn't exactly in short supply. If you want to see an endless supply of it, just go to your local beach.

Of course, why didn't I think of that. Who needs beaches when I can have a solar panel and a fast computer that can browse for pictures of beaches.:cuckoo:

Want more solar panels? Be prepared for less computer processors. They both use silicon and right now the processor industry can pay a whole lot more. Which do you think most americans want, expensive as hell solar panels, or faster computers?

The Solar Silicon Shortage and Its Impact on Solar Power Stocks

Silicon isn't exactly in short supply. If you want to see an endless supply of it, just go to your local beach.

Of course, why didn't I think of that. Who needs beaches when I can have a solar panel and a fast computer that can browse for pictures of beaches.:cuckoo:

Its also a question of the quality of the original silicon, and how much processing you have to do to make it work.

Germany has an issue with land availible for the acerage they would need to use solar on a large scale, be it for photovolactics, or aimed energy thermal plants. At least in the US you have large areas of open unused land that can be converted to power generation.

But even here you have an issue, where the best land for solar is often some of our more fragile or beautiful ecosystems/natural terrains. Solar is a land hog, and I am suprised that hasnt been more resistance from people when you cover X acres of pristine desert will the crap you need to make a solar plant.

All energy generation has costs, despite what the people who beleive in the wind/solar fairies tell you.

1. Most thin film photovoltaics do not use silicon.

2. Anybody ever hear of roofs?

3. If a person is willing to do a reasonable amount of work themselves, and watch for the sales, you can have a system for as little as $2 a watt.

h
1. Most thin film photovoltaics do not use silicon.

2. Anybody ever hear of roofs?

3. If a person is willing to do a reasonable amount of work themselves, and watch for the sales, you can have a system for as little as $2 a watt.

Show me where. I've asked this multiple times and you have yet to deliver. I WANT solar at my house but it's still too expensive. $2 a watt? Where? Every single time I've asked for a bid just the panels come out at $5 a watt. And then there's the switches, electrical connections (illegal without an Electrical Contractor License), converters, relays, and load managers.

All told it costs about $8 per watt plus maintenance. Solar panels get dirty quick and it takes water and soap to clean them. Exposed circuitry rots. Wire sheathing cracks and copper oxidizes. Contacts burn out and convert electricity to heat.

A doctor in town has a solar array (it takes up a quarter acre) and he lives 100% off the grid. He spent $350,000 after tax incentives, a special research grant (free batteries basically), and STILL spends $400 a month to clean the panels. That's less than my average electric bill and we have the same size houses.

Last edited:

Germany has an issue with land availible for the acerage they would need to use solar on a large scale, be it for photovolactics, or aimed energy thermal plants. At least in the US you have large areas of open unused land that can be converted to power generation.

But even here you have an issue, where the best land for solar is often some of our more fragile or beautiful ecosystems/natural terrains. Solar is a land hog, and I am suprised that hasnt been more resistance from people when you cover X acres of pristine desert will the crap you need to make a solar plant.

All energy generation has costs, despite what the people who beleive in the wind/solar fairies tell you.

Solar is most effective in very sunny climates. Very sunny climates don't have much fresh water. Solar panels require LOTS of water to clean.

I thought that people might like to know how some of the stimulus money is being spent. You know...winning the future?

The U.S. Department of Energy said on Wednesday it's offering a partial guarantee for a $1.4 billion loan that will fund Project Amp, which will erect solar panels on hundreds of rooftops around the country. The project is the largest rooftop solar plan in the country.

Through a loan guarantee, the government promises to repay the loan if the borrower can't. The DOE didn't specify how much of the $1.4 billion loan for Project Amp it is guaranteeing. The FIPP program allows the DOE to back 80 percent of a loan. FIPP focuses on backing projects that use more mature technologies, and it relies on private investors to secure the loans. In another part of the loan guarantee program, the government will provide the loans as well, through the Federal Financing Bank.
Project Amp will be carried out in phases. NRG Energy is the lead investor in the first phase, which will include a 15.4 MW array in Southern California. Southern California Edison will buy power from phase 1 of the project, which could add solar in as many as 28 states and the District of Columbia. Construction of the 15.4 MW project will begin before Sept. 30 this year.

In addition to the loan guarantee for Project Amp, the DOE has backed large solar farms in other regions of California and other southwestern states. Those projects include a 500 MW solar farm (part of a 1,000 MW project) by Solar Trust Of America, which held a ground breaking ceremony for the project in California last week. Another one under construction is a 392 MW plant in California by BrightSource Energy.

Amp Is Largest Solar Rooftop Project In America

Is that like the solar panels on the White House roof?

Obama Administration Fails On Promise To Put Solar Panels On White House Roof By June 21

Well lookie here...solar panels are making our troops safer you fucking morons.

Solar Updates Marines' Arsenal

and look what the Brits are up to...

‘Solar Soldier’ Project Creating Power-Harvesting Uniforms for British Infantry

Oh, hot damn...here's China goddamn beating us AGAIN...(I'm a little tired of it, personally)

China's 'Solar City'

There is a big difference between tiny solar applications, and solar arrays poweful enough to either provide electricity for a house, or for a part of the grid. Something you just dont seem to get.

The cleaning thing is also an issue, one you seem to ignore.

Again, you can't get something from nothing.

Forum List

Back