The Slavery Shakedown

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Bonnie, Jun 11, 2005.

1. Bonnie

Bonnie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Jeff Jacoby

June 10, 2005

http://www.townhall.com/columnists/jeffjacoby/printjj20050610.shtml

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. KarlMarx

KarlMarx Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +491
    Was anyone listening to Rush Limbaugh yesterday (Friday June 10).... Drs Walter E Williams and Thomas Sowell were both on and they just coincidentally discussed slavery.... here are some points that they made

1. The word "slave" is derived from the word "Slav" as in "Slavic Country"... because that group of people were enslaved by the Romans for over 700 years.

2. While it is true that slavery was practiced by White folks here in America for about 250 years.... it has been practiced on every continent since the beginning of recorded history

3. During his administration, President Jefferson dispatched the American Navy/Marines to rescue Americans (white americans) that had been enslaved by North African pirates

4. The one group that participated in the slave trade longer than any other? Arabs. Not only during Biblical times, but all the way up until the very recent past.

5. In some areas of Africa, slavery is still being practiced.

6. Part of the reason that slavery no longer exists in many parts of the world is because of British imperialism. The British abolished slavery wherever they colonized.... much to the resentment of some of the natives. (BTW.... the British also ended other practices such as bride burnings, human sacrifice and honor killings wherever they colonized, too).

Now, my second point.... if anyone should be exempt from paying reparations, it should be me. My parents and ancestors did not set foot on American soil until 1955, 90 years after the end of the Civil War.

In fact many of us should be exempt because most of our ancestors did not own slaves.....

And if the truth be told, my ancestors may have been enslaved by black people.... after all the Carthaginians invaded Rome during the Punic Wars and may have made off with some slaves..... so perhaps I'm entitled to reparations....

Of course, if you're Jewish, the country of Egypt also should be paying you reparations for enslaving your ancestors.

If you're Greek, you may need to pay reparations to the Slavs and other nearby peoples.

need I say more?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. OCA

OCA Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +223
    You guys make the mistake of mixing reparations(which I vehemently disagree with any payments in that area) with simply acknowledging that yeah America has fucked over many minorities in its tarnished history in this area. Think i'm wrong? Lets get away from Blacks and ask Indians, what will they say?

I think its funny that we think the emotional debt has been paid, this country is still to this day dealing with repercussions from its violent racist past. Heck we try to cover it up and say we are "tolerant" now, bullshit. Look around, listen to everyday conversations, we are a racist country and that goes for both sides of the coin, White and Black.

Hell all the policies that conservatives argue against now we're instituted by the White man, affirmative action, quotas, federal housing etc. etc. etc., why did we institute this crap in the first place?

4. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511
    I don't see any mistakes. the point is that reparations are only discussed in the limited context of payments to black for American slavery, even though slavery is a world wide phenomenon practiced all over the world by all races.

There was a time when blacks were overtly discriminated against legally and otherwise, maybe some of these measures seemed reasonable at the time. Now it's obvious that quotas are racist against whites.

5. OCA

OCA Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +223
    Wanna know whats laughable? Nothing is ever gonna be done, affirmative action is gonna be on the books forever because the Repubs are as liberal if not more liberal than the Demos now.

6. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511
    Frankly I don't see it, but thanks for the uplifting sentiment.

7. OCA

OCA Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +223
    Teri Schiavo, caving on the Nuclear Option LMFAO!

8. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511
    And now for something completely different...

9. Bonnie

Bonnie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Karl as you pointed out Mr Sowell also stated that every race at one time in history were slaves to another, so in order to give reparations every race would be entitled to them.

10. OCA

OCA Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +223
    Nobody is going to pay anybody reparations, don't get worked up over it.