The Silver Tsunami

Harpy Eagle

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 22, 2017

We are getting older as a country, an average of 11,000 Americans a day expected to celebrate their 65th birthday from now until December. Approximately 4.1 million Americans are poised to turn 65 this year and every year through 2027.

I feel so young, I still have a tad over 5 years to hit that mark, but do plan to be retired on the day I turn 65.

As a "young," retired 74, I have a tiny bit of advice for those turning 65...

The question you need to answer about retirement is NOT, Is there any reason to retire?

it IS

Is there any reason to keep working?

The "default value" is to retire unless there is a good reason not to retire. I would also say, bailing your worthless kid(s) out of financial jams is no reason for you not to enjoy the benefits of retirement.

As a "young," retired 74, I have a tiny bit of advice for those turning 65...

The question you need to answer about retirement is NOT, Is there any reason to retire?

it IS

Is there any reason to keep working?

The "default value" is to retire unless there is a good reason not to retire. I would also say, bailing your worthless kid(s) out of financial jams is no reason for you not to enjoy the benefits of retirement.

Indeed, that is the question that should be asked. It is a question the wife and I asked ourselves and there is not one reason we could come up with to still be working after 2029

Indeed, that is the question that should be asked. It is a question the wife and I asked ourselves and there is not one reason we could come up with to still be working after 2029
I quit finding or even looking for reasons at age 60 (over 9 years ago), having done my part for country, for business and securing enough retirements, that along with our investments secured our future.

I will retire before then, because I plan to be dead at 65.
Please let us know in a delicate way how one of my affiliated companies might be of assistance to you .
We might have a Carer in your vicinity .

I quit finding or even looking for reasons at age 60 (over 9 years ago), having done my part for country, for business and securing enough retirements, that along with our investments secured our future.

I will go to 65, so that my wife can hit 62 and get her pension from the VA, that way she has income for life no matter what happens to me. As long as she is working it would be stupid of me not to with the non-stressful job I have

I will go to 65, so that my wife can hit 62 and get her pension from the VA, that way she has income for life no matter what happens to me. As long as she is working it would be stupid of me not to with the non-stressful job I have
Makes sense. Be sure and get out at the first logical opportunity with your family business plan.;)

No way I could afford to retire at 65. I'll be 84 in April, still working and loving it. I might retire at 85, we'll see.

No way I could afford to retire at 65. I'll be 84 in April, still working and loving it. I might retire at 85, we'll see.

I am glad you are loving it, i will not work a day past 65 and would not wait that long if the wife was not a few years behind me.

Forum List

Back