The Rich Don't Pay Enough?!

What standard of fairness dictates that the top 10 percent of income earners pay 71 percent of the federal income tax burden while 47 percent of Americans pay absolutely nothing?

Those 47% pay a lot of taxes other than the federal income tax. But the main reason why the rich should pay more is that even after taxes they pocket much more income than those in the bottom half -- for no other reason than being born with the right set of talents.

Is the U.S. moving toward or away from the troubled EU nations? It turns out that our national debt to GDP ratio in the 1970s was 35 percent; now it's 106 percent of GDP. If you think we're immune from the economic chaos in some of the EU countries, you're whistling Dixie.

Japan has 200% debt to GDP ratio, yet it can borrow at even lower interest rates than the US. UK had similar debt load in 60s, but never had problem servicing its debt. Eurozone troubles happened for a different reason.

These are the facts and they are being ignored by the MSM.

These aren't facts, they are examples of the right-wing propaganda twisting the truth.

Last edited:
You know..............if I was Romney, OF COURSE I'd want the Ryan tax plan.

Wanna know why he wants it so much? Because his taxable rate would go to 0.83 percent under the Ryan budget.

The rest of us will have to pay more to support the tax cuts to the uber rich.

You realize Romney has signed the pledge not to raise taxes on anyone, right?
Except he signed it on an Etch A Sketch! :badgrin:

cartoon-romney-etch-a-sketch.png

The Rich Don't Pay Enough?

1. According to IRS 2007 data, the richest 1 percent of Americans earned 22 percent of national personal income but paid 40 percent of all personal income taxes.

2. The top 5 percent earned 37 percent and paid 61 percent of personal income tax.

3. The top 10 percent earned 48 percent and paid 71 percent of all personal income taxes.

4. The bottom 50 percent earned 12 percent of personal income but paid just 3 percent of income tax revenues.

5. President Obama and the Democratic Party harp about tax fairness. Here's my fairness question to you:

What standard of fairness dictates that the top 10 percent of income earners pay 71 percent of the federal income tax burden while 47 percent of Americans pay absolutely nothing?

6. Here's the question for us:

Is the U.S. moving toward or away from the troubled EU nations? It turns out that our national debt to GDP ratio in the 1970s was 35 percent; now it's 106 percent of GDP. If you think we're immune from the economic chaos in some of the EU countries, you're whistling Dixie.

And when economic chaos comes, whom do you think will be more affected by it: rich people or poor people?

The Rich Don't Pay Enough? - Walter E. Williams - Page 2

These are the facts and they are being ignored by the MSM. Until the tax burden is shared by all, the entire population is not going to be talking or learning about tax cuts or raises and have no opinion about them. They will just be part of the 50% of the those willing to take government handouts regardless of the repercussions to the country as a whole.

tell you what....when they start paying real wages and stop looking for slave labor that is fucking up our economy, when they stop influence buying our government to take more and more wealth OUT of this country and INTO other ones, when they don't have loopholes that only THEY can take advantage of? I'll listen.....until then? I refuse to feel sorry for millionaires and billionaires and their sob stories.

You're right though....the Federal tax burden SHOULD be shared by all....so let's get real jobs with real wages and benefits so that they don't have to rely on Gubmint nearly as much and CAN pay more into the system. Until then? I refuse to feel sorry for the people who are the cause for the situation.

You figure that someone can just wave a magic wand and create real jobs with real wages and benefits for all? Perhaps, one of those "they" have that wand hidden, just to keep you earning shit wages for a shit job.

One thing you fail to consider, is that in a large number of enterprises, labor is the primary cost factor, and that raising wages and/or benefits means that the price of the product or service has to increase to cover the cost. That jacks up prices for the consumers and makes the enterprise less competitive. Higher wages and benefits could well mean no job at all.

You realize Romney and Ryan have signed the pledge not to raise taxes on anyone, right?

no.....they won't raise taxes....they'll just gut every program that people need. Then the poor bastards who work their asses off for shitty wages won't be able to feed their kids like they used to....When people my age get to the point they COULD HAVE retired, the programs we've paid into all our lives won't be there anymore.....Oh....but the military will keep on getting theirs....you know why? No....it's not because of have a strong defense....It's because weapons manufacturers need their corporate welfare.

You realize Romney and Ryan have signed the pledge not to raise taxes on anyone, right?

no.....they won't raise taxes....

Correct.

they'll just gut every program that people need.

Such programs are not to be found in the enumerated powers of the Constitution. If your state feels the need to create an entitlement mentality, do it with your money.

Then the poor bastards who work their asses off for shitty wages won't be able to feed their kids like they used to....

According to the latest Census data, 96 percent of poor parents responded that their children had never been hungry during the previous year due to a lack of food resources. Only 4 percent of poor parents responded that their children had been hungry at some point in the year.

When people my age get to the point they COULD HAVE retired, the programs we've paid into all our lives won't be there anymore.....

Who was it that moved Social Security into the general fund and then spent all the money? Besides, if SS is not an entitlement like you lefties claim, you shouldn't have to tax anyone else to get the money you put into it.

Oh....but the military will keep on getting theirs....you know why? No....it's not because of have a strong defense....It's because weapons manufacturers need their corporate welfare.

Perhaps so. As a Libertarian, I believe we could do with less military intervention. This does NOT mean you should get handouts at the expense of others.

You realize Romney has signed the pledge not to raise taxes on anyone, right?
Except he signed it on an Etch A Sketch!

And what evidence you have to suggest Romney and Ryan would in fact raise tax rates after pledging not to do so?

Or is this just a "because I said so" kind of argument...:eusa_eh:
They have never kept a pledge before, only a fool would expect them to do it now.

Trust not him that hath once broken faith, he that betray thee once will betray thee again.
William Shakespeare

1. According to IRS 2007 data, the richest 1 percent of Americans earned 22 percent of national personal income but paid 40 percent of all personal income taxes.

2. The top 5 percent earned 37 percent and paid 61 percent of personal income tax.

3. The top 10 percent earned 48 percent and paid 71 percent of all personal income taxes.

4. The bottom 50 percent earned 12 percent of personal income but paid just 3 percent of income tax revenues.

5. President Obama and the Democratic Party harp about tax fairness. Here's my fairness question to you:

And when economic chaos comes, whom do you think will be more affected by it: rich people or poor people?

These are the facts and they are being ignored by the MSM. Until the tax burden is shared by all, the entire population is not going to be talking or learning about tax cuts or raises and have no opinion about them. They will just be part of the 50% of the those willing to take government handouts regardless of the repercussions to the country as a whole.

Hmmmm......... The bottom 50% get 12% of the National Income, but the top 1% gets 22% of the nations income. But you think that the top 1% should get even more breaks on taxes so that they could double the income of the bottom 70%?

Now just maybe if we had a just system of compensation for real work, then the amount of taxes payed by the bottom 50% would be more. After all, we do have a graduated system, so a significant increase in income would result in an increase in the percentage the bottom 50% pays.

But what Romney-Ryan propose is lowering taxes on the upper 1% and raising them on the middle class and working poor.

tell you what....when they start paying real wages and stop looking for slave labor that is fucking up our economy, when they stop influence buying our government to take more and more wealth OUT of this country and INTO other ones, when they don't have loopholes that only THEY can take advantage of? I'll listen.....until then? I refuse to feel sorry for millionaires and billionaires and their sob stories.

You're right though....the Federal tax burden SHOULD be shared by all....so let's get real jobs with real wages and benefits so that they don't have to rely on Gubmint nearly as much and CAN pay more into the system. Until then? I refuse to feel sorry for the people who are the cause for the situation.

You figure that someone can just wave a magic wand and create real jobs with real wages and benefits for all? Perhaps, one of those "they" have that wand hidden, just to keep you earning shit wages for a shit job.

One thing you fail to consider, is that in a large number of enterprises, labor is the primary cost factor, and that raising wages and/or benefits means that the price of the product or service has to increase to cover the cost. That jacks up prices for the consumers and makes the enterprise less competitive. Higher wages and benefits could well mean no job at all.

oh...so it's about consumer prices and competitiveness? Not the 600% that they've seen their incomes rise while the workforce's have virtually stagnated? The cost of living certainly hasn't stagnated. Why can't the cost of wages come out of their end? They can certainly afford it....the people who are working for them and have to rely on food stamps to make ends meet can't....especially if you guys get your way and those services get slashed or cut completely.

And if, pray tell....those poor suckers would go out and increase their "skill set"....is there enough work to accommodate 200 million people? You know that bullshit about laziness is a lie as well as I do...as the skill requirements for a job rises the quantity of those jobs diminish....so let's suppose all of those 200 million(based on 50% of the population that only currently earn 12% of the total earned income in the country) people go to school...get degrees, trade certifications, etc....then you will have skilled people now in more debt and still the majority of them will be in dead end jobs...only more broke and in dire straits.

I just thank God every day for the job I have....I am paid well, have good benefits and a pension plan.....just like MOST people used to.....until Corporatists took over the country.

Correct.

Such programs are not to be found in the enumerated powers of the Constitution. If your state feels the need to create an entitlement mentality, do it with your money.

According to the latest Census data, 96 percent of poor parents responded that their children had never been hungry during the previous year due to a lack of food resources. Only 4 percent of poor parents responded that their children had been hungry at some point in the year.

When people my age get to the point they COULD HAVE retired, the programs we've paid into all our lives won't be there anymore.....

Who was it that moved Social Security into the general fund and then spent all the money? Besides, if SS is not an entitlement like you lefties claim, you shouldn't have to tax anyone else to get the money you put into it.

Oh....but the military will keep on getting theirs....you know why? No....it's not because of have a strong defense....It's because weapons manufacturers need their corporate welfare.

Perhaps so. As a Libertarian, I believe we could do with less military intervention. This does NOT mean you should get handouts at the expense of others.
You moron....did you ever think that 96% didn't have to worry about hunger BECAUSE of those programs? End those programs and see that number drop like a rock.

Any program one specifically pays into is not an entitlement....even if they end up getting more then they put in. Promises are to be kept. You want it ended? grandfather it to the point where people can spend their lives paying into something else. Don't fuck people over. Same with Medicare.

Except he signed it on an Etch A Sketch!

And what evidence you have to suggest Romney and Ryan would in fact raise tax rates after pledging not to do so?

Or is this just a "because I said so" kind of argument...:eusa_eh:
They have never kept a pledge before, only a fool would expect them to do it now.

Trust not him that hath once broken faith, he that betray thee once will betray thee again.
William Shakespeare

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/promises/obameter/rulings/promise-broken/

Correct.

You moron....

Ah yes, another brilliant retort from the left we've come to know and love...:eusa_eh:

did you ever think that 96% didn't have to worry about hunger BECAUSE of those programs? End those programs and see that number drop like a rock.

And with such a low number (4% of those consider below the poverty level), real charity could easily supplement their nutritional needs. Real charity, not the kind that involves theft.

Any program one specifically pays into is not an entitlement....even if they end up getting more then they put in.

And that extra money you get beyond what you've put in, where does that come from? Oh yes, it's stolen from other citizens. When government takes from some to give to others, it damn well is an entitlement.

Promises are to be kept. You want it ended? .

I want the choice to opt out. If you want to depend on the government to keep your retirement money, fine, but stop forcing others into your Ponzi schemes.

grandfather it to the point where people can spend their lives paying into something else. Don't fuck people over.

Not sure what you're trying to say here.

Same with Medicare

The average person on Medicare takes out THREE TIMES what they pay in. But that's not an entitlement either...:cuckoo:

Thats odd. Congressional Budget Office (.gov) says that these tax cuts for the wealthy will only increase the deficit and hurt this economy even more.

If we let Bush era tax cuts expire, our deficit would be reduced by hundreds of billions of dollars.

Congressional Budget Office warns recession looming if Congress doesn't act on "fiscal cliff" - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

Bullshit. The CBO takes the ASSUMPTIONS given them by politicians. They're nothing but a calculator. No one, I mean NO ONE, can state with certainty which way revenues would go if tax rates rose for all, which is what would happen if the current tax rates expire. We might see more revenue but on the other hand, the economy could tank even worse and we might see less revenue. You cannot state what would happen to revenue following changes in tax rates with certainty.

Thats odd. Congressional Budget Office (.gov) says that these tax cuts for the wealthy will only increase the deficit and hurt this economy even more.

If we let Bush era tax cuts expire, our deficit would be reduced by hundreds of billions of dollars.

Congressional Budget Office warns recession looming if Congress doesn't act on "fiscal cliff" - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

Bullshit. The CBO takes the ASSUMPTIONS given them by politicians. They're nothing but a calculator. No one, I mean NO ONE, can state with certainty which way revenues would go if tax rates rose for all, which is what would happen if the current tax rates expire. We might see more revenue but on the other hand, the economy could tank even worse and we might see less revenue. You cannot state what would happen to revenue following changes in tax rates with certainty.

So could you please tell us which of the assumptions in the "fiscal cliff" CBO report were given by politicians?

Thanks.

Last edited:

So could you please tell us which of the assumptions in the "fiscal cliff" CBO report were given by politicians?

Thanks.
Since the CBO doesn't generate any raw data they analyze -- all of them were given by politicians.

Thanks.
Since the CBO doesn't generate any raw data they analyze -- all of them were given by politicians.

Can you please be more specific? What data was given by which politician?

Thank you.

Forum List

Back