The Republican Congress finally does something

P@triot

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2011
United States
It has been effective in Texas. Let’s hope that it will be effective for federal prisons as well.
In 2006, Texas lawmakers faced a choice—either stick with the status quo of incarceration trends and construct facilities to house 17,770 more prison beds by 2012, at a cost of $2 billion, or implement a nonpartisan reform package at a cost of about $250 million with the aim of stabilizing the prison population until at least 2011.

Texas chose the second option, and ended up increasing public safety while spending fewer taxpayer dollars. State crime rates dropped to historic lows. Arrest rates decreased. Six juvenile facilities and three prisons closed (with a fourth scheduled to close this summer).
These are the types of issues that we should be focusing on. Bi-partisan issues that can reduce costs. Focus on what can get done, accept what cannot (like firearm legislation).

House-Passed Prison Reforms Would Help Strengthen Families and Communities

It has been effective in Texas. Let’s hope that it will be effective for federal prisons as well.
In 2006, Texas lawmakers faced a choice—either stick with the status quo of incarceration trends and construct facilities to house 17,770 more prison beds by 2012, at a cost of $2 billion, or implement a nonpartisan reform package at a cost of about $250 million with the aim of stabilizing the prison population until at least 2011.

Texas chose the second option, and ended up increasing public safety while spending fewer taxpayer dollars. State crime rates dropped to historic lows. Arrest rates decreased. Six juvenile facilities and three prisons closed (with a fourth scheduled to close this summer).
These are the types of issues that we should be focusing on. Bi-partisan issues that can reduce costs. Focus on what can get done, accept what cannot (like firearm legislation).

360-59?

Sure...everyone grows a pair of balls in an election year.

(sexist disclaimer alert....deal with the idiom)

The crime rate could be zero if we legalized all crimes. There would be no arrests and the prisons would be empty.

Makes sense

We also need to cut out our senseless war on drugs that only stocks our prisons

Well only if we legalize drugs. We can't keep them illegal and then choose not to enforce that law. That's insanity. We need to be a nation of laws.

I never thought I would say it - but I'm for legalizing it now and regulating. Allow the government to control it and tax it.

I guess it's better than maobama just cutting them loose by the thousands. One thing they didn't elaborate on is what is a disqualifying offense?

Well only if we legalize drugs. We can't keep them illegal and then choose not to enforce that law. That's insanity. We need to be a nation of laws.

I never thought I would say it - but I'm for legalizing it now and regulating. Allow the government to control it and tax it.

You are having the same "come to Jesus" moment Rockefeller had about alcohol prohibition.

https://timedotcom.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/rockefellerletter1937.pdf

“When Prohibition was introduced, I hoped that it would be widely supported by public opinion and the day would soon come when the evil effects of alcohol would be recognized. I have slowly and reluctantly come to believe that this has not been the result. Instead, drinking has generally increased; the speakeasy has replaced the saloon; a vast army of lawbreakers has appeared; many of our best citizens have openly ignored Prohibition; respect for the law has been greatly lessened; and crime has increased to a level never seen before.”

That being said, start with Pot first and see how that goes before legalizing other drugs.

The far left went for this because it was under the radar, if this was in the "news" the far left would definitely be against it.

But then again the far left wants to give felons the ability to vote..

The far left went for this because it was under the radar, if this was in the "news" the far left would definitely be against it.

Why shouldn't they? They've served their time.

Because part of being a felon is loosing that ability, to discourage people from becoming felons. If they get to vote, might as well be able to carry a gun, right?

Just like the far left wants to impose big taxes on things they do not like to discourage people from doing such things.

Agree

We have turned a victimless crime into a cash cow for prison construction

Because part of being a felon is loosing that ability, to discourage people from becoming felons. If they get to vote, might as well be able to carry a gun, right?

Why not? As I said, they served their time.

We have turned a victimless crime into a cash cow for prison construction
Well I wouldn’t say “victimless”. People strung out do commit armed robbery and murders for their next “fix”. And many do O.D. But at the end of the day, taking out an entire empire of really evil criminals is the lesser of two evils. The regulations and taxes are and additional plus.

Because that is the deterrent from getting a felony, why is that hard for you understand, too many roids today?

Why bothering have something deemed as a felony if it has zero consequences?

By that “logic” why have sexual predators register as sex offenders once they get out? I mean, after all, they’ve “done their time”. :eusa_doh:

Do you ever think before posting?

Why shouldn’t pedophiles be given a dozen children each once they get out of prison? After all, they’ve “served their time”. :cuckoo:

It looks like those riods are doing their damage to the brain..

But this is what the far left wants, they want to let felons vote.

More "feel good" BS that ultimately will just make the Congressmen who have connections to the "solutions" rich. We have to face the fact that some people are not capable of changing.

"Save The World" mentality is why the world get worse for everyone else.

As for the drugs.....
It's all just evidence of the sad state of affairs....so many people just looking for an easy out....with no motivation for anything more than getting high, drunk or spaced out.

Rome comes to mind........because it's doing so well today :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Because that is the deterrent from getting a felony, why is that hard for you understand, too many roids today?

Why bothering have something deemed as a felony if it has zero consequences?

The consequences are they went to prison and served their time.

And don’t hate me cuz I’m beautiful

Forum List

Back