The Relevancy of Mechanisms of Natural Selection

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by NewGuy, May 6, 2004.

1. NewGuy

NewGuy Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone provide a PROOF of the concept of genetic changes in a species over successive generations over time by the forces and mechanisms of natural selection and how it relates to human evolution?

If you cannot, please do not be the first to post in this thread.

If you can, please be sure that the sum total of your first post in this thread is that very PROOF, supported by factual evidence, and nothing else.

Thank you.

2. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    humans are way too unpredictable a species to gauge natural selection by mechanisms

3. NewGuy

NewGuy Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Tell that to Zhukov. He swears by it. I am making the obvious attempt for anyone to prove his point since he can't hear an opposing one.

4. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511
    dude go read the reams and reams of research on genes. Then go away.

5. NewGuy

NewGuy Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    The spotlight's on you now jester, prove the point or prove yourself ignorant.

The topic is proving the relevancy of mechanisms of natural selection in regard to human evolution.

If you can't, my point is proven again.

6. Zhukov

Zhukov VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Easy.

evolution n: 3. Biology. a.) Change in the genetic composition of a populatioon during successive generations, as a result of natural selection acting on the genetic variation among individuals, and resulting in the development of new species.

There's your relevancy. It's in the definition of the word. Now would you like to try my thread?

7. NewGuy

NewGuy Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    ghost ( P ) Pronunciation Key (gst)
    n.
    The spirit of a dead person, especially one believed to appear in bodily likeness to living persons or to haunt former habitats.

Now the issue here is that just as ghosts cannot be proven to haunt people or things, a definition saying it does doesn't make it fact.

By the same token, your point is totally invalid.

Again, prove it.

8. Zhukov

Zhukov VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Did you or did you not ask for the relevancy of natural selection to evolution? I'm sorry if you don't like that relevancy, but there it is.

If someone asked you the relevance of dead people to ghosts wouldn't your definition provide that answer? I think it would.

For the proof that the mechanisms of natural selection are indeed at work, I will get more in depth later, but there is cancer.

Cancer is the outcome of a transcription error in the copying of the DNA strand within a cell that results in the faulty translation of proteins within that cell. Transcription errors are proven. They happen about 10,000 times every time any one of your individual cells divide.

Any sort of transcription error that is not corrected by redundant transcription polymerase enzymes is called a mutation. If this mutation does not prevent an organism from reproducing itself, that mutation will be passed to its descendants. In those descendants other mutations will occur, which likewise if succesfull will be passed along.

The proof this happens? The fact that every year billions of people get a cold. When you get a cold your body develops an immunity. As your body is destroying the bacteria inside your body they continue to reproduce. At some point a bacterium will emerge that is sufficiently different from its ancestors that is has, through sheer chance and the mechanisms of natural selection, developed a new antigen-presenting agent on its surface. Therefore every year we have a new cold bacteria that sweeps around the world. The bacteria evolved.

The mechanisms of natural selection are the transcription errors in DNA replication. Over successive generations the result is a new species, one that is sufficiently genetically different, that possesses different properties.

That's natural selection. That's what Darwin observed. That's what led to his suppositions on the origin of humanity.

I can get more technical later if you like, but I'll need to get my textbooks so I can give you the exact numbers and chemical names.

9. NewGuy

NewGuy Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I will take a look at this later tonight as well. If you DO decide to post more, I will at least understand everyone has lives and would not expect you to have information BY TONIGHT, but that you would look into it tonight as that is what you literally said.

-Notice the hint at previous discussion along these lines.

10. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511
    Your brain is a tragedy.

You are completely incapable of reason.