The Nordic model is widely regarded as a benchmark.

BILLSANDS

Sep 14, 2018
Cleveland Ohio
A number of comparative studies of economic and social performance have ranked the Nordics high. A common finding of cross-country comparisons is that the Nordics succeed better than other countries in combining economic efficiency and growth with a peaceful labour market, a fair distribution of income and social cohesion. The model is pointed to as a source of inspiration for other people in their search for a better social and economic system. On the other hand, many observers around the world are amazed that “the bumble-bee can fly” – that the Nordic economies can prosper and grow in spite of the presumably weak economic incentives associated with high tax wedges, a generous social security system and an egalitarian distribution of income. Critics have been looking for inner contradictions in the model and they have questioned its sustainability. Some argue that the economic performance of the Nordic countries is simply a result of exceptional and temporary advantages, bound to disappear over time. This report deals with the Nordic model, the reasons why it has worked in the past, and the challenges it is being subjected to in the future. Present economic and social trends, including globalization and demographic change, pose significant challenges to the model as we know it. The model will remain viable and successful only if the challenges and the need for reform are understood – and if action is taken. THE NORDIC MODEL Embracing globalization and sharing risks Torben M. Andersen, Bengt Holmström, Seppo Honkapohja, Sixten Korkman, Hans Tson Söderström, Juhana Vartiainen

https://economics.mit.edu/files/5726

Mod Edit: Supplying a link to the textual material that may be subject to copyright. Contact moderation if it's not correct. BILLSANDS New members may and should post links for copyright after they reach their qualifying post limit.

Last edited by a moderator:
To quote (mostly) another poster here:

A strong safety net is insurance against a social revolution.

The libertarianism-consumed Right just doesn't see that. It doesn't understand that. Nor does it want to.

I'm going to say something nice about my conservative brethren here.

When you have multiple generations on the government dole who never learned how to work, you really are creating more of a problem than you are solving.

The Safety Net shouldn't become a hammock.

The libertarianism-consumed Right just doesn't see that. It doesn't understand that. Nor does it want to.

I'm going to say something nice about my conservative brethren here.

When you have multiple generations on the government dole who never learned how to work, you really are creating more of a problem than you are solving.

The Safety Net shouldn't become a hammock.
And it isn't and never was

Bullshit.

No one on the right talks about eliminating the safety net.

Kicking people out of the hammock is an entirely different concept. For all these bed wetters who insist the swedes or whoever is "doing communism right", I say, wait till we turn over the NATO hammock. When the US subsidizes your entire military defense, don't try and pretend you're making ends meet. It's international welfare, and the globalists love it.

I have advocated allowing people to stay on welfare for years, as long as they're working and improving their status if they can indeed work. Another idea would be to increase subsidies if people are getting training or are otherwise engaged in increasing their skills.

Libertarians are not some heartless mob that demands a zero tax rate, we want a government that operates efficiently and isn't wasting money keeping hordes of people in squalid ghettoes with no ambition or even ability to escape. Quite the opposite, we want as many people to prosper as possible. That improves the bottom line across the board. At the current rate Cloward -Piven has us on, the government will be bankrupted. Then the checks stop, and that's where society breaks down and social revolution happens. Leftists WANT it to happen.

They just don't understand how completely they will be defeated.

Kicking people out of the hammock is an entirely different concept. For all these bed wetters who insist the swedes or whoever is "doing communism right"....
You think that Sweden is communist?

No.

I figured the quotation marks would indicate I'm summarizing the simplicity of "thought" in a leftists' "mind".

A "fair distribution of income" LMAO!
Yes. Why should society actually work for everyone when you can create a banana republic.

Uneducated ignorant trumpkins are too vile to get it

Move to Chicago, they are considering a basic universal income of 500 bucks a month for 500 (correction, 1000 families) families. Maybe you'll get lucky and feel better about yourself.

Last edited:
Kicking people out of the hammock is an entirely different concept. For all these bed wetters who insist the swedes or whoever is "doing communism right"....
You think that Sweden is communist?

No.

I figured the quotation marks would indicate I'm summarizing the simplicity of "thought" in a leftists' "mind".
Okay, sure.

The problem is, there's far too much simplicity of thought on both ends right now.

Okay, sure.

The problem is, there's far too much simplicity of thought on both ends right now.

You sure do like to insulate yourself from the far left end sometimes, while parroting the same sort of inane shit, perhaps to a lesser degree.

You certainly had nothing to refute the point of my post.

Kicking people out of the hammock is an entirely different concept. For all these bed wetters who insist the swedes or whoever is "doing communism right", I say, wait till we turn over the NATO hammock. When the US subsidizes your entire military defense, don't try and pretend you're making ends meet. It's international welfare, and the globalists love it.

Yawn, the thing is, we don't spend huge amounts of money on NATO, we spend them propping up Zionism and wasting it on expensive military contracts. The Europeans realize this is a waste of money and they don't bother with it.

Libertarians are not some heartless mob that demands a zero tax rate, we want a government that operates efficiently and isn't wasting money keeping hordes of people in squalid ghettoes with no ambition or even ability to escape. Quite the opposite, we want as many people to prosper as possible. That improves the bottom line across the board. At the current rate Cloward -Piven has us on, the government will be bankrupted. Then the checks stop, and that's where society breaks down and social revolution happens. Leftists WANT it to happen.

They just don't understand how completely they will be defeated.

Actually, you are delusional. If we distributed the wealth evenly, everyone would be middle class.

As much as I hate to agree with Stormy Mac on much of anything, because the guy is a noxious turd, the current welfare system DOES prevent social revolution.

You have 40% of the population that owns less than 1% of the wealth. The PITTANCE we spend on welfare programs keeps those people from being a lot less angry and desperate.

We spend more on Corporate welfare than social welfare

upload_2018-9-15_6-27-31.jpeg

Actually a "strong safety net" is the best way to guarantee the existence of a despondent zombie horde in the country. And of course, they breed and multiply like no one else, while those having to foot the bill don't.

This will never work in diverse society like the USA. Unless you are planning to make a whole race a dependent with no future. That's utterly racist...

Okay, sure.

You sure do like to insulate yourself from the far left end sometimes, while parroting the same sort of inane shit, perhaps to a lesser degree.

You certainly had nothing to refute the point of my post.
You responded to the following post: "A strong safety net is insurance against a social revolution."

Perhaps you could focus on what I actually said, and address the sociological ramifications of increased wealth disparity.

Actually a "strong safety net" is the best way to guarantee the existence of a despondent zombie horde in the country. And of course, they breed and multiply like no one else, while those having to foot the bill don't.

This will never work in diverse society like the USA. Unless you are planning to make a whole race a dependent with no future. That's utterly racist...
What does race have to do with this?

Forum List

Back