The No.1 Way To Reduce Healthcare Insurance Costs

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
"Insurance coverage mandates refer to the restrictions each state sets on which type of policy can be sold legally within that market. For example, fourteen states now require all insurance plans sold to cover infertility treatments, regardless of the patient's need or desire for these services. Other states ban the sale of insurance plans unless they include coverage for massage therapy, obesity surgery, pastoral care, and wigs.

Needle-phobic consumers cannot buy plans without acupuncture coverage, and teetotalers must pay for plans that include inpatient drug rehabilitation, says Dr. Linda Halderman, a General Surgeon and policy adviser in the California State Senate.

What effect do mandates have on the cost of health insurance?

According to the National Center for Policy Analysis, just 12 of the most common insurance mandates currently in place raise premium rates by as much as 30 percent.

The State of California forces over 50 such mandates on the employer-provided (group) insurance market, but not on individual plans; consequently, it costs three times more for California employers to offer insurance than if a plan is privately purchased.

In mandate-heavy states, consumers are denied the option of buying low-cost, basic health insurance plans to cover major illness or injury. They cannot choose to save money by paying out of pocket for ten-dollar pneumococcus pneumonia vaccines and ninety-dollar mammograms, thereby reserving health insurance for significant expenses, explains Halderman."

American Thinker: Senate's Solution: Consumer Choice Is Dead on Arrival

So States rights to regulate their industries is wrong and we need bigger more intrusive federal government?

Last edited:
I just see beyond what is placed in front of me.

Not a common trait in todays world of political parrots.

I just see beyond what is placed in front of me.

Not a common trait in todays world of political parrots.

Ah, a validation of the axiom that one sees what one wishes to see.

I provided no indication as to the solution of the problem, merely that government regulation is the source of the problem.

Clear?

Also clear is that you have no ability to comment on what is before you, that is that if there were no insurance mandates, and each consumer could 'build' their own coverage, costs would be reduced.

I can see no way for you to quibble with that.

But work on it.

Forum List

Back