The Nissan Leaf

I used to think electric cars were the answer too. Now i'm not so sure. If everyone has an electric car,it's going to require an awful lot of electricity. Where and how are we going to get all this new needed electricity? Unless there's a rapid & massive expansion in Nuclear Energy,electric cars can't be the answer. Sadly it is what it is.

I used to think electric cars were the answer too. Now i'm not so sure. If everyone has an electric car,it's going to require an awful lot of electricity. Where and how are we going to get all this new needed electricity? Unless there's a rapid & massive expansion in Nuclear Energy,electric cars can't be the answer. Sadly it is what it is.
If we massively expand nuclear power plants, what are we going to do with all those spent fuel rods? they are only dangerous for ten millenia. We should figure out where to put them until they cool off!

If we massively expand nuclear power plants, what are we going to do with all those spent fuel rods? they are only dangerous for ten millenia. We should figure out where to put them until they cool off!

Yea it all gets pretty complicated. Electric Cars just aren't the answer. They will require massive amounts of electricity. Where do we get all this new electricity from? Back to the drawing board i guess. We need a different solution.

Yea it all gets pretty complicated. Electric Cars just aren't the answer. They will require massive amounts of electricity. Where do we get all this new electricity from? Back to the drawing board i guess. We need a different solution.
I'm sold on hydrogen fuel cells. Imagine a device no larger than a 40 gallon water heater that produces enough voltage to run an average house!

The problem with fuel cell operated cars is the current fueling infrastructure. Where does a boy go to get a tankful of hydrogen?

I just read about people enduring a Heat Wave in the North worrying about whether their electricity grid will hold up or not. Many of these same concerned citizens are the same people pushing electric cars. How much electricity do these people think we're going to need if everyone drives an electric car? How will the grids handle all this new needed electricity? I would like to see these electric cars use some kind of solar energy technology to re-charge. This would be pretty expensive but it would alleviate most of the stress on the electricity grids. They would have to attach some sort of solar panel to the car. I'm not sure how this would affect night driving though. I'm no scientist or engineer by any stretch. Solar charging would be the only way i see electric cars making it. Show me the car that uses the sun to re-charge its battery and that's probably the car that will make it. Hopefully they're pursuing this already. I guess we'll see.

I'm sold on hydrogen fuel cells. Imagine a device no larger than a 40 gallon water heater that produces enough voltage to run an average house!

The problem with fuel cell operated cars is the current fueling infrastructure. Where does a boy go to get a tankful of hydrogen?
actually, there is one company making aunit for you to make your own
United Nuclear - Hydrogen Fuel Systems
check it out

check it out
Not bad! Until I want to drive farther than my hydrogen car can go on a tankful. I'll have to fuel up for my return trip.

If the automobile was invented in 2010 rather than 1880, no one would put an internal combustion engine in it. No one would put a radiator, crank case and gasoline tank in it.

And no one would refine, distribute, store and sell gasoline. There would not be a concern about leaking USTs (underground storage tanks) or benzene laden compounds accessible to the public.

And yet here we are. A 21st century society hobbled by the problems developed in the 19th century.

There are alternative technologies available today. We just lack the will to embrace them.

check it out
Not bad! Until I want to drive farther than my hydrogen car can go on a tankful. I'll have to fuel up for my return trip.

If the automobile was invented in 2010 rather than 1880, no one would put an internal combustion engine in it. No one would put a radiator, crank case and gasoline tank in it.

And no one would refine, distribute, store and sell gasoline. There would not be a concern about leaking USTs (underground storage tanks) or benzene laden compounds accessible to the public.

And yet here we are. A 21st century society hobbled by the problems developed in the 19th century.

There are alternative technologies available today. We just lack the will to embrace them.
the beauty of that system is you can switch back to gas if you need to

The Sun's awesome power is the only answer left for us. We need to find a way to harness the Sun's awesome power to power our nation and this includes our cars. Everything else is just a band-aid.

OK,
lets compare vs a comparable sized internal combustion engined car shall we?

LEAF costs 25,000 after tax rebates.
Ford Focus costs 14,995 with no help.

LEAF can go 100 miles on a single charge that costs 30 dollars and takes 8 hours.
The Focus can go 315 miles on a single tank of gas for a cost of 27 dollars.

So the Ford is almost half the price and can go 3 time as far with no waiting for a cost of one third that of the LEAF. And that doesn't even take into account the pollution caused by the fossil fuel powered elictric plants and the loss of electricity through transmission.

Yep the Ford FOCUS IS THE CLEAR WINNER ON ALL COUNTS.

Score yet another win for the internal combustion engine crowd:clap2::clap2::clap2:

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/default.aspx?make=Ford&model=Focus

check it out

No, we lack the money! It will cost trillions to rebuild the infrastructure to use hydrogen.

I love hydrogen fuel cells and have friends involved in their development so hope the cost can be brought down to a reasonable level soon. They are extremely efficient which is good. They don't pollute (other than their production of course) which is great. They are currently expensive as hell but that will get better.

All in all hydrogen I believe will crush the competition of electric cars. It will just take time and a lot of cash.

check it out

No, we lack the money! It will cost trillions to rebuild the infrastructure to use hydrogen.

I love hydrogen fuel cells and have friends involved in their development so hope the cost can be brought down to a reasonable level soon. They are extremely efficient which is good. They don't pollute (other than their production of course) which is great. They are currently expensive as hell but that will get better.

All in all hydrogen I believe will crush the competition of electric cars. It will just take time and a lot of cash.
especially when you can create your own hydrogen to use
i love the idea of never having to buy fuel from someone
power the machine with both solar and wind power and not even have to pay for the electricity

OK,

LEAF can go 100 miles on a single charge that costs 30 dollars and takes 8 hours.

So the Ford is almost half the price and can go 3 time as far with no waiting for a cost of one third that of the LEAF. And that doesn't even take into account the pollution caused by the fossil fuel powered elictric plants and the loss of electricity through transmission.

Score yet another win for the internal combustion engine crowd:clap2::clap2::clap2:

Ford Focus Research All Models and Prices - MSN Autos
I concur and I hate the Ford Fungus. I'll buy it before I buy a damn electric car unless it is equal in cost and performance to a gas powered one, that's for sure.

Hydrogen will ultimately be the superior choice... but probably not in my lifetime from what I see. 50-75 years, definitely.

Last edited:
OK,

Ford Focus Research All Models and Prices - MSN Autos
I concur and I hate the Ford Fungus. I'll buy it before I buy a damn electric car unless it is equal in cost and performance to a gas powered one, that's for sure.

Hydrogen will ultimately be the superior choice... but probably not in my lifetime from what I see. 50-75 years, definitely.

Hi Big Fitz,

Hopefully it will be sooner than that. If we could ever stop pissing all the billions of dollars down the AGW rathole we could do some serious R&D and speed up the process.

Hence why I say 50 years. We are pissing too much money away on frivolities of the now. Social programs, and scientific frauds are the special of the day and till we get sick of eating that swill, we're not going to advance quickly at all, if at all.

And of course if the economy goes tits up and we drop into a new dark age of progressofascism... make that 250-300 years.

Forum List

Back