The Nissan Leaf

Discussion in 'Environment' started by Chris, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Chris

Chris Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,089
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  2. LibocalypseNow

LibocalypseNow Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,357
    I used to think electric cars were the answer too. Now i'm not so sure. If everyone has an electric car,it's going to require an awful lot of electricity. Where and how are we going to get all this new needed electricity? Unless there's a rapid & massive expansion in Nuclear Energy,electric cars can't be the answer. Sadly it is what it is.

3. Nosmo King

Nosmo King Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,298
    If we massively expand nuclear power plants, what are we going to do with all those spent fuel rods? they are only dangerous for ten millenia. We should figure out where to put them until they cool off!

4. LibocalypseNow

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,357
    Yea it all gets pretty complicated. Electric Cars just aren't the answer. They will require massive amounts of electricity. Where do we get all this new electricity from? Back to the drawing board i guess. We need a different solution.

5. Nosmo King

Nosmo King Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,298
    I'm sold on hydrogen fuel cells. Imagine a device no larger than a 40 gallon water heater that produces enough voltage to run an average house!

The problem with fuel cell operated cars is the current fueling infrastructure. Where does a boy go to get a tankful of hydrogen?

6. Big Fitz

Big Fitz User Quit *****

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,475
    Look honey! The next Edsel!

7. LibocalypseNow

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,357
    I just read about people enduring a Heat Wave in the North worrying about whether their electricity grid will hold up or not. Many of these same concerned citizens are the same people pushing electric cars. How much electricity do these people think we're going to need if everyone drives an electric car? How will the grids handle all this new needed electricity? I would like to see these electric cars use some kind of solar energy technology to re-charge. This would be pretty expensive but it would alleviate most of the stress on the electricity grids. They would have to attach some sort of solar panel to the car. I'm not sure how this would affect night driving though. I'm no scientist or engineer by any stretch. Solar charging would be the only way i see electric cars making it. Show me the car that uses the sun to re-charge its battery and that's probably the car that will make it. Hopefully they're pursuing this already. I guess we'll see.

8. DiveCon

DiveCon gone

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,387
    actually, there is one company making aunit for you to make your own
    United Nuclear - Hydrogen Fuel Systems
    check it out

9. Nosmo King

Nosmo King Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,298
    Not bad! Until I want to drive farther than my hydrogen car can go on a tankful. I'll have to fuel up for my return trip.

If the automobile was invented in 2010 rather than 1880, no one would put an internal combustion engine in it. No one would put a radiator, crank case and gasoline tank in it.

And no one would refine, distribute, store and sell gasoline. There would not be a concern about leaking USTs (underground storage tanks) or benzene laden compounds accessible to the public.

And yet here we are. A 21st century society hobbled by the problems developed in the 19th century.

There are alternative technologies available today. We just lack the will to embrace them.

10. DiveCon

DiveCon gone

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,387
    the beauty of that system is you can switch back to gas if you need to