The Nintendo 3DS: Indie Games

Wake

Easygoing Conservative
Jun 11, 2013
I rarely play video games, but when I do, I reach for my handheld.

Loving my 3DS system.

Lately I've been looking through the "Shop" function where you can buy games through the 3DS, using Wi-Fi. This includes "Indie" games, which are independently-made games.

In addition to finding favorite classics, you can find some real hidden gems at a reasonable price there.

Three come to mind that I just purchased:

1) Gunman Clive
2) Steam World Dig
3) Shovel Knight

These three are, in my opinion, worth the price. GC is a relatively-decent platform shooter. SWD is a short-lived pleasure, drawing on elements from both Metroid and Castlevania. Absolutely love that game, the gorgeous graphics, excellent sound effects, and bold concepts. The only problem is that it's so short! I was craving more of it, but sadly the game resolved too soon. There is news of a sequel though and, with any luck, they'll commit to making the game longer. Otherwise SWD was simply fun and engaging.

Shovel Knight I just bought, and have played about an hour on it. I'm liking it. No, I can DIG it. :) It reminds me a bit of Super Mario 3 (another game I downloaded), and also of Castlevania with its relic function. I really like how some of these indie games draw on favorite classics most of us know and love.

If you're looking for some relatively inexpensive fun, try out the latter two. By the same token, if you know of any other worthwhile games to download on the 3DS, whether indie or not, please share them! :D

Forum List

Back