The next liar takes the stage

Samantha Power back-peddlin' to get cushy, high-payin' job...
:eusa_eh:
UN Nominee Disavows Past Comments on ‘Crimes’ Committed by U.S.
July 17, 2013 -– Under questioning by Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.), Samantha Power, President Obama’s nominee to be ambassador to the United Nations, disavowed her own published comments in which she advocated U.S. intervention in the Arab-Israeli conflict and referred to “crimes” committed by the United States, comparing them to Nazi atrocities.
During a hearing Wednesday before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, Power said that although the U.S. has a “national security interest and a moral responsibility to respond to cases of mass atrocity...that does not mean the United States should intervene militarily every time there’s an injustice in the world.” Instead, she advocated the use of other “tools in the toolbox,” including “diplomatic, economic, arms embargos, radio jamming,” and other alternatives to military intervention. Intervention considerations are guided by the Obama administration’s policy to “Verify, then trust. Deeds, not words,” she added.

But when Rubio asked President Obama’s former foreign policy advisor about interviews and articles she had written that urge U.S. intervention in the Arab-Israeli conflict, she disavowed her own previous comments. “I have disassociated myself from those comments many times. I gave a long, rambling, and very remarkably incoherent response to a hypothetical question that I should never have answered,” Power responded. “A negotiated settlement is the only course.”

Power%202%20AP.jpg

Samantha Power sworn in before Senate Foreign Relations Committee

Regarding Power’s comments on “crimes” committed by the U.S., Rubio asked: “Which crimes were you referring to and which decisions taken by the current administration would you recommend for such a reckoning?” “I would never apologize for America. America is the light to the world. We have freedoms and opportunities here that people dream about abroad,” Power responded. “Which ones did the United States commit or sponsor that you were referring to?” Rubio persisted.

“Again, sir, I think this is the greatest country on earth. We have nothing to apologize for,” Power replied. “So you don’t have any in mind now that we’ve committed or sponsored?” Rubio asked. “I will not apologize for America. I will stand very proudly if confirmed behind the U.S. placard,” Power repeated. “No, I understand,” Rubio pressed on, “but do you believe the United States has committed or sponsored crimes?”

MORE

Samantha Power passes Senate confirmation...
:cool:
Samantha Power confirmed for UN
Sat, Aug 03, 2013 - The US Senate confirmed Samantha Power as ambassador to the UN on Thursday, giving bipartisan approval to US President Barack Obama’s nominee.
The genocide expert and human rights champion sailed through on a 87 to 10 vote. Power, 42, replaces Susan Rice, whom Obama named in June to be his national security advisor. Rice became a lightning rod for criticism against the Obama administration last year. She left under a cloud for her role in the administration’s public explanation for the deadly attack on the US mission in Libya on Sept. 11 last year that left four Americans dead, including ambassador Chris Stevens.

Power, a Harvard Law School graduate and former special assistant to Obama, enjoyed widespread support during the confirmation process as someone who would be an effective and eloquent advocate for US interests. Obama issued a statement thanking the Senate for its bipartisan support of “one of our country’s leading foreign policy thinkers.” “As a long-time champion of human rights and dignity, she will be a fierce advocate for universal rights, fundamental freedoms and US national interests,” he said.

During her Senate hearing, Power berated the UN’s “unacceptable bias” against Israel, and pledged to lobby hard to get the US’ closest Mideast ally a seat on the UN Security Council. She came under criticism for a number of remarks she made a decade ago, including speaking of “crimes committed” by the US government.

Power confirmed for UN - Taipei Times

See also:

Senate approves Obama's nominee for UN ambassador
Aug 1,`13 WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Senate easily confirmed President Barack Obama's selection for ambassador to the United Nations on Thursday, capping a month in which senators used a bipartisan truce on once-mired nominations to fill a cluster of vacancies in the president's second-term administration.
Senators approved Samantha Power for the post by 87-10. The vote put the former Obama foreign policy adviser and outspoken human rights advocate into the job formerly held by Susan Rice, whom the president has made his national security adviser. "As a long-time champion of human rights and dignity, she will be a fierce advocate for universal rights, fundamental freedoms and U.S. national interests," Obama said in a written statement after the vote. Power joined a stack of nominees that senators have approved since striking a bipartisan deal in mid-July. Late on Thursday, the Senate also confirmed:

-Army Gen. Martin Dempsey for another two-year term as chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, and Adm. James Winnefeld, the vice chairman of the Joint Chiefs.

-Jason Furman, a veteran White House economic official, as chairman of the president's Council of Economic Advisers.

-Mary Jo White of New York for a full term as chairwoman of the Securities and Exchange Commission, and Michael Sean Piwowar of Virginia and Kara Marlene Stein of Maryland as commissioners.

-James Costos of California as U.S. ambassador to Spain.

Republicans agreed to allow votes on seven of Obama's picks after Democrats agreed to drop plans to invoke the so-called nuclear option, forcing Senate rules changes that would have made it harder for the chamber's minority parties to block some nominations. Over the past three weeks, senators have approved Obama's choices to head the Environmental Protection Agency, the FBI, the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau and other agencies. With Congress about to start a summer recess, many leaders are hoping that the bipartisan cooperation will survive into the fall, when lawmakers face nasty fights over the budget, immigration and other issues.

Underscoring the limits of the truce on nominations, all but one Republican banded together earlier Thursday to prevent the Senate from debating a $54 billion measure financing transportation and housing programs. That dispute evoked partisan passions on both sides, with Republicans accusing Democrats of busting budget limits and Democrats saying the GOP was bowing to extremists.

The Irish-born Power, a one-time journalist who also has a Harvard Law School degree, has reported from many of the world's trouble spots and won a 2003 Pulitzer Prize for a book on the meek U.S. response to many 20th century atrocities, including those in Rwanda and Bosnia in the 1990s. She has long backed intervention - including military force - to halt human rights violations. Power has been "a tireless defender of human rights," said Senate Foreign Relations Committee Chairman Robert Menendez, D-N.J. "She has seen the tragedy of human suffering from the front lines, first hand."

MORE

she disavowed her own previous comments. “I have disassociated myself from those comments many times. I gave a long, rambling, and very remarkably incoherent response to a hypothetical question that I should never have answered,” Power responded. “A negotiated settlement is the only course.”

Good choice Mr. President, she'll fit right in at the United Nations. :cool:

Forum List

Back