The new, more user-friendly Army

A draft is something the libs want so they have something else to bitch about.

Its not needed at this point. Now if we invade Iran and N. Korea right away a draft might become necessary. But as I said before they will lower their standards to accept more volunteers before going to a draft. That means lower test scores, lower physical requirements, accepting people without HS diplomas, that sort of thing. When you see all that happening, then its time to worry about a draft. Other than that its just wishful thinking on the part of the libs cause they can't get the military on their side without a bunch of conscripts making up the bulk of it. They are dying to go back to the days of Vietnam. Which by the way was all started and run by the democrates until nixon took over.

Kathianne said:
Oh, please don't hear me wrong. IF there is ever a draft again in US, it must be 'no exceptions.' I agree, that is what was SO WRONG about VN, not the war, but the conscription.

What I am saying is that there should perhaps-I don't know, I defer to those that have or are serving-is that the draftees if there is such, should be ranked for aptitude towards leadership. At the same time, I think those that 'volunteer' should be given bonus points and still have to make an aptitude cut.

Well, not real well thought out, but perhaps you can catch the drift? (ie, If a draft, with no exceptions, the net is wide open for officer types, though many in 'volunteer' pool could also qualify. )

I'm afraid that I must take the extreme opposite view. In the event of a draft, there should be bonus money for volunteers. Other than that, no difference between them and draftees. Why? First, you don't want an us v. them mentality in the service. You are going to get a limited amount of it no matter what, but you don't want it to get out the box. The biggest complaint about the draft was deferments, second beef was the treatment of draftees as compared to 'professionals' or 'lifers'.

pegwinn said:
I'm afraid that I must take the extreme opposite view. In the event of a draft, there should be bonus money for volunteers. Other than that, no difference between them and draftees. Why? First, you don't want an us v. them mentality in the service. You are going to get a limited amount of it no matter what, but you don't want it to get out the box. The biggest complaint about the draft was deferments, second beef was the treatment of draftees as compared to 'professionals' or 'lifers'.

As I said, I will defer. My age cohort escaped Vietnam, just barely-well we were going to college when it ended. The only Nam vets I knew were my older cousin's husband and another guy I went to college with. The former was way so anal as to stand your hair on end. The later committed suicide, with drugs. Really and truly, don't know if Vietnam had one thing to do with either.

pegwinn said:
I hope to God that there is no draft in the works. A truism is that a leader spends ninety percent of his/her time with ten percent of their people. Ten percent of any group simply isn't fit to be there. It may be physical, mental, or disciplinary. If you draft folks, that ten percent is going to skyrocket. Most of those serving are doing so out of a sense of honor, courage, and commitment. A draft will destroy that.

I couldn't agree more. It's hard enough training those that want to be there. I can only imagine if they don't.

GunnyL said:
I couldn't agree more. It's hard enough training those that want to be there. I can only imagine if they don't.

Having been in the Army during the period when draftees were training and working beside the volunteer, I can tell you that the Army we have today is FAR superior. The quality of soldier today is probably the best this or any other country has ever seen. In my opinion, a draft would lower that quality and put good soldiers at greater unneccessary risk.

What I see going on now is a subtle drift towards the view that soldiers are second class citizens...we have heard it on this board many times. Some profess to support the troops, then call the war illegal. That makes the members of the US military willing participants in a criminal act....you cannot separate the two. We have heard some on this board equate our soldiers with the Nazis, some calling them worse than terrorists (read the "torture" threads) and some have implied that soldiers are mindless robots who have been brainwashed to do evil.

Until such rhetoric and illogical thinking is reversed, the trend will only get worse. The citizens of the United States will then have neither a professional Army nor the means to support one.

CSM said:
Having been in the Army during the period when draftees were training and working beside the volunteer, I can tell you that the Army we have today is FAR superior. The quality of soldier today is probably the best this or any other country has ever seen. In my opinion, a draft would lower that quality and put good soldiers at greater unneccessary risk.

What I see going on now is a subtle drift towards the view that soldiers are second class citizens...we have heard it on this board many times. Some profess to support the troops, then call the war illegal. That makes the members of the US military willing participants in a criminal act....you cannot separate the two. We have heard some on this board equate our soldiers with the Nazis, some calling them worse than terrorists (read the "torture" threads) and some have implied that soldiers are mindless robots who have been brainwashed to do evil.

Until such rhetoric and illogical thinking is reversed, the trend will only get worse. The citizens of the United States will then have neither a professional Army nor the means to support one.

I don't think the smokescreen "we support the troops" goes very far with the troops in the field, for the very reasons you have cited. The hypocrisy is about as obvious as it gets.

The problem I see is the brainwashing it does to those HERE in the states who migh otherwise serve. The constant barrage of negativity from the left most likely has a lot of these kids thinking it's a lot worse than it is. Lord knows they try!

Stephanie said:
I want to know what your porpose of this post is all about??? You sit late at night and post all this crap, I know because I live in Alaska and it's only 9:30 pm here, and I've seen you here every night posting all this stuff. What is your purpose of all this???? Do you even care for your own country, when you post stuff like this?? Do you even care for your military men and women, who are all over this world fighting for your right to post this shit...... It seems to me that you have a disgust for your own country and the military to sit here and post crap like this, while our men and women are dying for you to sit on your stupid ass and say all this shit that spews form your mouth, or should I say, your mimic of all the DNCS talking points, which is all I've heard from your tiny brain. PLEASE EXPLAIN ALL THIS HATE, W H A T I S Y O U R P U R P O S E F O R T H I S POST,,,,,, What the hell do you mean?????? What are you saying, or asking us to respond to......You make me sick, you have no clue what the hell your talking about, nothing you've attributed to this board has been worth a shit......Please go back to the duundergroud, and take a few of your buddies that are here with you :dev1: :bsflag: :321:

LOL :read:

Forum List

Back