The new, more user-friendly Army

G

Gabriella84

Among the latest memos sent out by the U.S. military is this item, meant to cut down on the rate of attrition.

UNCLAS ALARACT 110/2005
SUBJECT: FIRST-TERM ENLISTED ATTRITION

1. REFERENCES:

A. MEMORANDUM, DEPUTY CHIEF OF STAFF, G-1, HQDA, 10 MARCH 2005, SUBJECT AS ABOVE.

B. AR 635-200 (ENLISTED ADMINISTRATIVE SEPARATIONS), PARAGRAPHS 1-1C, 1-16A, 1-19C, D, AND E.

2. ALL MACOMS WILL SEND A MESSAGE VIA E-MAIL TO THE FOLLOWING ADDRESS TO ACKNOWLEDGE RECEIPT OF THIS MESSAGE: [email protected]

3. WE ARE AN ARMY AT WAR AND INCREASING LEVELS OF ATTRITION OF FIRST-TERM ENLISTED SOLDIERS IN BOTH THE TRAINING BASE AND UNITS IS A MATTER OF GREAT CONCERN. WE NEED YOUR CONCERTED EFFORT TO REVERSE THE RECENT NEGATIVE TREND IN FIRST-TERM ATTRITION. BY REDUCING ATTRITION ONE PERCENT, THE ARMY CAN SAVE UP TO 3,000 INITIAL-TERM SOLDIERS THATS 3,000 MORE SOLDIERS IN OUR FORMATIONS. EACH SOLDIER RETAINED REDUCES THE STRAIN ON RECRUITING COMMAND AND OUR RETENTION PROGRAM, WHICH MUST REPLACE EVERY SOLDIER WHO DEPARTS THE ARMY EARLY.

4. AS AN ADDITIONAL MEANS OF REDUCING ATTRITION, EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY SEPARATION AUTHORITY FOR FIRST-TERM ENLISTED SOLDIERS IS ELEVATED FROM THE BATTALION COMMANDER TO THE SPECIAL COURT-MARTIAL CONVENING AUTHORITY (SPCMCA) FOR THE FOLLOWING SEPARATION CATEGORIES PRESCRIBED BY AR 635-200: FAILURE TO MEET PROCUREMENT MEDICAL FITNESS STANDARDS (PARAGRAPH 5-11); PREGNANCY (CHAPTER 8); ALCOHOL OR OTHER DRUG ABUSE REHABILITATION FAILURE (CHAPTER 9); ENTRY LEVEL PERFORMANCE AND CONDUCT (CHAPTER 11); UNSATISFACTORY PERFORMANCE (CHAPTER 13); SELECTED CHANGES IN SERVICE OBLIGATIONS (CHAPTER 16, PARAGRAPHS 16-4 THRU 16-10); AND FAILURE TO MEET BODY FAT STANDARDS (CHAPTER 18). WITHHOLDING OF SEPARATION AUTHORITY FROM BATTALION COMMANDERS, AND ELEVATING IT TO SPCMCA LEVEL, IS DIRECTED BY HQDA PURSUANT TO PARAGRAPH 1-19E, AR 635-200. SEPARATION AUTHORITY FOR CHAPTERS 5, 10, 14, AND 15 REMAIN AT THE SPCMA LEVEL.

5. THE FOREGOING DIRECTION APPLIES TO SEPARATION PROCEEDINGS IN PROGRESS OR PENDING INITIATION. IT WILL REMAIN IN EFFECT UNTIL AT LEAST 1 JUNE 2006, AT WHICH TIME IT WILL BE REVIEWED FOR CONTINUATION OR TERMINATION.

6. COMMANDERS AT ALL ECHELONS ARE ENJOINED TO REVIEW THE GUIDANCE ON COUNSELING, REHABILITATION, AND RETRAINING OF SOLDIERS PROMULGATED IN AR 635-200, PARAGRAPHS 1-1C AND 1-16A.

7. THIS MESSAGE WILL EXPIRE 1 JUNE 2006.
Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

Gabriella84 said:
Among the latest memos sent out by the U.S. military is this item, meant to cut down on the rate of attrition.

UNCLAS ALARACT 110/2005
SUBJECT: FIRST-TERM ENLISTED ATTRITION

1. REFERENCES:

A. MEMORANDUM, DEPUTY CHIEF OF STAFF, G-1, HQDA, 10 MARCH 2005, SUBJECT AS ABOVE.

B. AR 635-200 (ENLISTED ADMINISTRATIVE SEPARATIONS), PARAGRAPHS 1-1C, 1-16A, 1-19C, D, AND E.

2. ALL MACOMS WILL SEND A MESSAGE VIA E-MAIL TO THE FOLLOWING ADDRESS TO ACKNOWLEDGE RECEIPT OF THIS MESSAGE: [email protected]

3. WE ARE AN ARMY AT WAR AND INCREASING LEVELS OF ATTRITION OF FIRST-TERM ENLISTED SOLDIERS IN BOTH THE TRAINING BASE AND UNITS IS A MATTER OF GREAT CONCERN. WE NEED YOUR CONCERTED EFFORT TO REVERSE THE RECENT NEGATIVE TREND IN FIRST-TERM ATTRITION. BY REDUCING ATTRITION ONE PERCENT, THE ARMY CAN SAVE UP TO 3,000 INITIAL-TERM SOLDIERS THATS 3,000 MORE SOLDIERS IN OUR FORMATIONS. EACH SOLDIER RETAINED REDUCES THE STRAIN ON RECRUITING COMMAND AND OUR RETENTION PROGRAM, WHICH MUST REPLACE EVERY SOLDIER WHO DEPARTS THE ARMY EARLY.

4. AS AN ADDITIONAL MEANS OF REDUCING ATTRITION, EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY SEPARATION AUTHORITY FOR FIRST-TERM ENLISTED SOLDIERS IS ELEVATED FROM THE BATTALION COMMANDER TO THE SPECIAL COURT-MARTIAL CONVENING AUTHORITY (SPCMCA) FOR THE FOLLOWING SEPARATION CATEGORIES PRESCRIBED BY AR 635-200: FAILURE TO MEET PROCUREMENT MEDICAL FITNESS STANDARDS (PARAGRAPH 5-11); PREGNANCY (CHAPTER 8); ALCOHOL OR OTHER DRUG ABUSE REHABILITATION FAILURE (CHAPTER 9); ENTRY LEVEL PERFORMANCE AND CONDUCT (CHAPTER 11); UNSATISFACTORY PERFORMANCE (CHAPTER 13); SELECTED CHANGES IN SERVICE OBLIGATIONS (CHAPTER 16, PARAGRAPHS 16-4 THRU 16-10); AND FAILURE TO MEET BODY FAT STANDARDS (CHAPTER 18). WITHHOLDING OF SEPARATION AUTHORITY FROM BATTALION COMMANDERS, AND ELEVATING IT TO SPCMCA LEVEL, IS DIRECTED BY HQDA PURSUANT TO PARAGRAPH 1-19E, AR 635-200. SEPARATION AUTHORITY FOR CHAPTERS 5, 10, 14, AND 15 REMAIN AT THE SPCMA LEVEL.

5. THE FOREGOING DIRECTION APPLIES TO SEPARATION PROCEEDINGS IN PROGRESS OR PENDING INITIATION. IT WILL REMAIN IN EFFECT UNTIL AT LEAST 1 JUNE 2006, AT WHICH TIME IT WILL BE REVIEWED FOR CONTINUATION OR TERMINATION.

6. COMMANDERS AT ALL ECHELONS ARE ENJOINED TO REVIEW THE GUIDANCE ON COUNSELING, REHABILITATION, AND RETRAINING OF SOLDIERS PROMULGATED IN AR 635-200, PARAGRAPHS 1-1C AND 1-16A.

7. THIS MESSAGE WILL EXPIRE 1 JUNE 2006.
Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

I want to know what your porpose of this post is all about??? You sit late at night and post all this crap, I know because I live in Alaska and it's only 9:30 pm here, and I've seen you here every night posting all this stuff. What is your purpose of all this???? Do you even care for your own country, when you post stuff like this?? Do you even care for your military men and women, who are all over this world fighting for your right to post this shit...... It seems to me that you have a disgust for your own country and the military to sit here and post crap like this, while our men and women are dying for you to sit on your stupid ass and say all this shit that spews form your mouth, or should I say, your mimic of all the DNCS talking points, which is all I've heard from your tiny brain. PLEASE EXPLAIN ALL THIS HATE, W H A T I S Y O U R P U R P O S E F O R T H I S POST,,,,,, What the hell do you mean?????? What are you saying, or asking us to respond to......You make me sick, you have no clue what the hell your talking about, nothing you've attributed to this board has been worth a shit......Please go back to the duundergroud, and take a few of your buddies that are here with you :dev1: :bsflag: :321:

Stephanie said:
I want to know what your porpose of this post is all about??? You sit late at night and post all this crap, I know because I live in Alaska and it's only 9:30 pm here, and I've seen you here every night posting all this stuff. What is your purpose of all this???? Do you even care for your own country, when you post stuff like this?? Do you even care for your military men and women, who are all over this world fighting for your right to post this shit...... It seems to me that you have a disgust for your own country and the military to sit here and post crap like this, while our men and women are dying for you to sit on your stupid ass and say all this shit that spews form your mouth, or should I say, your mimic of all the DNCS talking points, which is all I've heard from your tiny brain. PLEASE EXPLAIN ALL THIS HATE, W H A T I S Y O U R P U R P O S E F O R T H I S POST,,,,,, What the hell do you mean?????? What are you saying, or asking us to respond to......You make me sick, you have no clue what the hell your talking about, nothing you've attributed to this board has been worth a shit......Please go back to the duundergroud, and take a few of your buddies that are here with you :dev1: :bsflag: :321:

May someone here who knows can translate it. I for one didn't understand all of it. Doesn't seem very damning either way.

The message basically means that it's harder to separate soldiers for a number of administrative purposes, to include pregnancy, body-fat standards, failing alcohol/drug rehab, and making 'stupid private' mistakes. It doesn't mean that such soldiers cannot be separated; it means that it takes a full Colonel to sign off on the separation instead of a Lieutenant Colonel. It's an extra layer of review, meant to ensure that soldiers who can still serve aren't separated too hastily. It's been done in the past, and I'm not surprised it's being done again.

gop_jeff said:
The message basically means that it's harder to separate soldiers for a number of administrative purposes, to include pregnancy, body-fat standards, failing alcohol/drug rehab, and making 'stupid private' mistakes. It doesn't mean that such soldiers cannot be separated; it means that it takes a full Colonel to sign off on the separation instead of a Lieutenant Colonel. It's an extra layer of review, meant to ensure that soldiers who can still serve aren't separated too hastily. It's been done in the past, and I'm not surprised it's being done again.

Doesn't seem like a big deal to me. Sounds like more pain in the ass red tape if anything.

Kudos to GOP Jeff for actually understanding what is going on instead of sitting back and going "DOH!!!"

And Evil, it's a freakin Army document. What kind of link do you need?

Gabriella84 said:
Kudos to GOP Jeff for actually understanding what is going on instead of sitting back and going "DOH!!!"

Where did you get the document from?

Gabriella84 said:

And Kudos to Jeff for being polite and respectful. I didn't see you offering up a analysis of the document or stating any real purpose in posting it.

gop_jeff said:

I agree with your post, but would add that those reasons are used more often than not by dirtbags looking for an easy out. Some get quite desperate. I had a Marine in my last unit claim he was gay just to get out of deploying.

This is just tightening up on the loopholes.

GunnyL said:
I agree with your post, but would add that those reasons are used more often than not by dirtbags looking for an easy out. Some get quite desperate. I had a Marine in my last unit claim he was gay just to get out of deploying.

This is just tightening up on the loopholes.

Heh, we had a guy who's parents called me. Said he'd revealed to them he was a conscientious objector. Called him in, and in a low conversational tone asked him about it. He denied it. So we called his mom and put her on speaker phone. Hilarious. Lad turned bright red as mom stammered and hemmed and hawed. Finally he blurted out, "Dammit Mom I want to go kill ragheads!" Mom hung up and me and the Skipper cleaned up the spilt coffee.

Did have a couple of folks try to eat their way out. I really like how the liberal establishment will trumpet that the Army is lowering standards. Proves that they spell uniform with a "you".

pegwinn said:
Heh, we had a guy who's parents called me. Said he'd revealed to them he was a conscientious objector. Called him in, and in a low conversational tone asked him about it. He denied it. So we called his mom and put her on speaker phone. Hilarious. Lad turned bright red as mom stammered and hemmed and hawed. Finally he blurted out, "Dammit Mom I want to go kill ragheads!" Mom hung up and me and the Skipper cleaned up the spilt coffee.

Did have a couple of folks try to eat their way out. I really like how the liberal establishment will trumpet that the Army is lowering standards. Proves that they spell uniform with a "you".

Pegwinn, I would be very 'upset' but proud if my kids went into the armed forces. Two are thinking of doing so, when they finish college. Do you think a draft is in the works? Or is it just MSM brouhaha?

Kathianne said:
Pegwinn, I would be very 'upset' but proud if my kids went into the armed forces. Two are thinking of doing so, when they finish college. Do you think a draft is in the works? Or is it just MSM brouhaha?

I hope to God that there is no draft in the works. A truism is that a leader spends ninety percent of his/her time with ten percent of their people. Ten percent of any group simply isn't fit to be there. It may be physical, mental, or disciplinary. If you draft folks, that ten percent is going to skyrocket. Most of those serving are doing so out of a sense of honor, courage, and commitment. A draft will destroy that.

I heard Charlie Rangels comments that the All Volunteer force is immoral because they pay bonuses. He claims that only the lower socioeconomic classes go to the service cuz the rich don't need the offered incentives. That is exactly the argument they used against the draft during the VN era. Amazing how it came full circle (that the lower income levels were disproportionately effected).

pegwinn said:
I hope to God that there is no draft in the works. A truism is that a leader spends ninety percent of his/her time with ten percent of their people. Ten percent of any group simply isn't fit to be there. It may be physical, mental, or disciplinary. If you draft folks, that ten percent is going to skyrocket. Most of those serving are doing so out of a sense of honor, courage, and commitment. A draft will destroy that.

I heard Charlie Rangels comments that the All Volunteer force is immoral because they pay bonuses. He claims that only the lower socioeconomic classes go to the service cuz the rich don't need the offered incentives. That is exactly the argument they used against the draft during the VN era. Amazing how it came full circle (that the lower income levels were disproportionately effected).

Here is a probably stupid idea. Seems that the 'volunteer deal' has taken a nose dive. What of a draft that is 'highly selective?' Where the best and brightest are drafted, but into responsible positions? Those that 'volunteer' of course would pick up mega points, IF they could make the cut? Am I way off base or is this worth hashing out?

Kathianne said:
Here is a probably stupid idea. Seems that the 'volunteer deal' has taken a nose dive. What of a draft that is 'highly selective?' Where the best and brightest are drafted, but into responsible positions? Those that 'volunteer' of course would pick up mega points, IF they could make the cut? Am I way off base or is this worth hashing out?

Nope, the point of conscription is to fill the ranks with trigger pullers. Shooters. To put people at the sharp end of the spear as it were.

If you are 'highly selective' you will hear screams of discrimination, both from those taken, and those excluded. And, you will need to define 'responsible positions'. Are you advocating going from zero to leader by lottery? I don't think that's what you meant, but the question begs asking for an honest discussion.

A draft would need to be a random lottery of all qualified individuals. A draft would need to be inviolate (no deferments for anyone at all for any reason). A draft would need to be over, real dang quick.

pegwinn said:
Nope, the point of conscription is to fill the ranks with trigger pullers. Shooters. To put people at the sharp end of the spear as it were.

If you are 'highly selective' you will hear screams of discrimination, both from those taken, and those excluded. And, you will need to define 'responsible positions'. Are you advocating going from zero to leader by lottery? I don't think that's what you meant, but the question begs asking for an honest discussion.

A draft would need to be a random lottery of all qualified individuals. A draft would need to be inviolate (no deferments for anyone at all for any reason). A draft would need to be over, real dang quick.

Oh, please don't hear me wrong. IF there is ever a draft again in US, it must be 'no exceptions.' I agree, that is what was SO WRONG about VN, not the war, but the conscription.

What I am saying is that there should perhaps-I don't know, I defer to those that have or are serving-is that the draftees if there is such, should be ranked for aptitude towards leadership. At the same time, I think those that 'volunteer' should be given bonus points and still have to make an aptitude cut.

Well, not real well thought out, but perhaps you can catch the drift? (ie, If a draft, with no exceptions, the net is wide open for officer types, though many in 'volunteer' pool could also qualify. )

Forum List

Back