The Nation’s Most Populous State Just Voted To Divest From Coal

ScienceRocks

Democrat all the way!
Mar 16, 2010
The Good insane United states of America

September 3, 2015
The California Assembly passed a bill Wednesday that prompts the state’s public employee pension funds to divest from coal.

The bill passed the Assemby with a vote of 43 to 27, and will require the California Public Employees’ Retirement System (CalPERS) and California State Teachers’ Retirement System (CalSTRS) — which combined are responsible for $476 billion in assets — to remove all holdings in companies that get at least half of their revenue from coal mining. The divestment would have to be completed by July 2017. If signed into law, the measure would be the first of its kind in the United States.

http://thinkprogress...campaign=buffer

Great news! Bye coal!

I'm amazed, now, to realize how long ago it was, but this is the same state that, in 2000-2001, suffered from a serious shortage of electrical energy, resulting in brownouts and rolling blackouts; ultimately leading to the recall of its Governor who ended up being blamed for much of it. (I never had a very favorable opinion of Gray Davis, but I did think he got blamed unfairly, for a problem that was in the making since long before he took office.)

Alas, the people of this state seem to have a very short memory, and generally a very low level of awareness of what our state government is doing to us.

Having the state declined to invest in companies that are involved in an important energy source isn't going to have so direct an effect on our own energy supply, but this is certainly born of the same short-sighted idiocy that led to the 2000-2001 crisis as well as to our more current water supply crisis.

Well why not. they destroyed their water supplies, so now they might as well take away cheap energy too. I hate what they have done to that once vibrant and productive state

Cutting back on coal for better alternatives is a sign of progress.

oh dam. what are the people living there ZOMBIES? They have no water and now they are going to freeze to death following their commie government over the CLIFF. seeeeeeyaaaaa

the future of Commiefornia

the people living in California have NO VOICE in anything anymore. you don't speak up you deserves what that Government of YOURS GIVES YOU

Last edited:
can anyone imagine someone like MOONBEAM Brown running their state? my gawd he was a old commie tree hugger back in the 60;s , just wow the people living there

I'm old enough to remember when he was Governor before.

Apparently, he doesn't remember what happened to the most recent Democratic Governor of this state before him, nor what led to that fate.

can anyone imagine someone like MOONBEAM Brown running their state? my gawd he was a old commie tree hugger back in the 60;s , just wow the people living there

Apparently, he doesn't remember what happened to the most recent Democratic Governor of this state before him, nor what led to that fate.

I feel for ya all, I lived out there all through the 90s, that state was conservative, independent, wealthy, vibrant. and now look at it. I feel sad. I still have relatives living there. I don't know where it's headed

September 3, 2015
The California Assembly passed a bill Wednesday that prompts the state’s public employee pension funds to divest from coal.

The bill passed the Assemby with a vote of 43 to 27, and will require the California Public Employees’ Retirement System (CalPERS) and California State Teachers’ Retirement System (CalSTRS) — which combined are responsible for $476 billion in assets — to remove all holdings in companies that get at least half of their revenue from coal mining. The divestment would have to be completed by July 2017. If signed into law, the measure would be the first of its kind in the United States.

http://thinkprogress...campaign=buffer

Great news! Bye coal!
:mm::woohoo:

I feel for ya all, I lived out there all through the 90s, that state was conservative, independent, wealthy, vibrant. and now look at it. I feel sad. I still have relatives living there. I don't know where it's headed
Economy of California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The economy of California is the largest in the United States. As of 2014, California's gross state product (GSP) is about $2.3 trillion. The state's GSP grew 2.8% in 2014.[6]

Dear little Stephanie, sounds to me like California is doing quite well without you.

The economy of California is the largest in the United States. As of 2014, California's gross state product (GSP) is about $2.3 trillion. The state's GSP grew 2.8% in 2014.[6]

Dear little Stephanie, sounds to me like California is doing quite well without you.

1. California now ranks as the world's eighth largest economy, the gains driven by technology, tourism, trade and the resurgence of construction. The Golden State now falls behind Brazil but in front of Russia andItaly.Jul 7, 2014
    California regains ranking as world's eighth largest economy
    www.bizjournals.com/.../tech-construction-d...
    South Florida Business Journal

1. California now ranks as the world's eighth largest economy, the gains driven by technology, tourism, trade and the resurgence of construction. The Golden State now falls behind Brazil but in front of Russia andItaly.Jul 7, 2014

Yeah? well we used to be the third largest, were going downhill

When was California third?

Link? Or is that something you pulled out of your ass?

Do you have a link to back up your claim that
A) "we used to be the third largest"
B) "were going downhill"

or will you just accept that econpost.com says you're full of it?

Forum List

Back