The Nation’s Most Populous State Just Voted To Divest From Coal

I'm old enough to remember when he was Governor before.

Apparently, he doesn't remember what happened to the most recent Democratic Governor of this state before him, nor what led to that fate.

I feel for ya all, I lived out there all through the 90s, that state was conservative, independent, wealthy, vibrant. and now look at it. I feel sad. I still have relatives living there. I don't know where it's headed
Economy of California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The economy of California is the largest in the United States. As of 2014, California's gross state product (GSP) is about $2.3 trillion. The state's GSP grew 2.8% in 2014.[6]

Dear little Stephanie, sounds to me like California is doing quite well without you.

1. California now ranks as the world's eighth largest economy, the gains driven by technology, tourism, trade and the resurgence of construction. The Golden State now falls behind Brazil but in front of Russia andItaly.Jul 7, 2014
    California regains ranking as world's eighth largest economy
    www.bizjournals.com/.../tech-construction-d...
    South Florida Business Journal

Yeah? well we used to be the third largest, were going downhill
When was California third?

Oh right, sorry about that, we were 5th, but its been so long that we were great, I just forgot...... so all you Libs don't get your panties all wound up, we probably should be 3rd, but we slipped three places in the wrong direction.

I worked in Machining, in the bay area in the 80s through 2007..... yes it really slipped. 5000 piece orders slipping to 300, customers all disappearing, vendors disappearing, businesses moving out of state,
yes, it has been going downhill

I feel for ya all, I lived out there all through the 90s, that state was conservative, independent, wealthy, vibrant. and now look at it. I feel sad. I still have relatives living there. I don't know where it's headed

The economy of California is the largest in the United States. As of 2014, California's gross state product (GSP) is about $2.3 trillion. The state's GSP grew 2.8% in 2014.[6]

Dear little Stephanie, sounds to me like California is doing quite well without you.

1. California now ranks as the world's eighth largest economy, the gains driven by technology, tourism, trade and the resurgence of construction. The Golden State now falls behind Brazil but in front of Russia andItaly.Jul 7, 2014

Oh right, sorry about that, we were 5th, but its been so long that we were great, I just forgot...... so all you Libs don't get your panties all wound up, we probably should be 3rd, but we slipped three places in the wrong direction.

I worked in Machining, in the bay area in the 80s through 2007..... yes it really slipped. 5000 piece orders slipping to 300, customers all disappearing, vendors disappearing, businesses moving out of state,
Link?

Link?

Cal Facts 2002: Economy

OK, good link. However, further elucidation required. Is California's current position as 8th due to California going down, or the nations like Brazil coming up? Pretty important differance.

OK, good link. However, further elucidation required. Is California's current position as 8th due to California going down, or the nations like Brazil coming up? Pretty important differance.
Brazil and China have gone up for sure.

California economy ranking in the world.
February 03, 2011

<snip>

California economy world ranking
According to U.S. Department of Commerce estimates, California’s GDP (gross domestic product) was $1.89 trillion. And that puts California as the world’s eighth largest economy in 2009.

Since the 1970s, California has ranked 7th biggest world economy, although for a couple of years in 1984 and 1985, California was the 5th largest economy in the world.

California economy ranks behind Italy
The California economy currently ranks eighth just behind Italy and ahead of Brazil and Spain.

California has been ranking 1 or 2 spots below Italy, since the 1970s, however in the year 2000 California jumped over Italy to the 6th spot, when Italy had one year of negative economic growth that set Italy back a couple of years before it regained its economic footing.

However, in 2002, California was overtaken by China's economy and fell back to the 7th largest spot, And in 2003, when Italy's economy regained its normal pace of growth, Italy surpassed California and pushed it back another spot to eighth biggest economy, the rank it has occupied every year since 2003.

World economy ranking looks at how the top economies by country has changed over the years. Country data is from the World Bank.

California economy among world economies
Gross domestic product in $ trillions
Rank
Country / State GDP
1 United States (without California) 12.3
2 Japan 5.07
3 China 4.98
4 Germany 3.33
5 France 2.65
6 United Kingdom 2.17
7 Italy 2.11
8 California 1.89
9 Brazil 1.57
10 Spain 1.46

California has shown steady growth for decades, with the exception of the Bush recession in 2008-2009, but dropped a couple of spots in world rankings because of China's growth and Italy's recovery. IOW's, your memory may be correct in the limited arena of a single machine shop, or your memory may be selective for the purposes of this M/B, either way the fact remains - California is doing just fine, no matter how much you wish-hope-pray for California to fail.

Check out the GDP chart in the link below;
Real Total Gross Domestic Product for California

Forum List

Back