The Most Miserable Cities In America

And the trend seems to be the cities that rely most on tourism would have the worst numbers when the economy is bad.

I love how the picture of New Orleans is of the "Red Dress Run" with the dude passed out on the sidewalk. Those of us who love the city simply will continue to not give a damn about what other people think and live our lives in the NOLA way (when we get back there).

I've always wanted to go to New Orleans, a friend of mine is from Baton Rouge and he goes there all the time. From what he told me that place is a blast, only a nun or an Islamist with a beard would be miserable with all that booze and fine ladies.

Even nuns should have a good time. The St. Louis Cathedral is the oldest in the U.S. Plus the New Orleans Saints could always use some more nuns at the game.

And the trend seems to be the cities that rely most on tourism would have the worst numbers when the economy is bad.

I love how the picture of New Orleans is of the "Red Dress Run" with the dude passed out on the sidewalk. Those of us who love the city simply will continue to not give a damn about what other people think and live our lives in the NOLA way (when we get back there).

I've only ever met one person who didn't like it here. He moved here just after Katrina from some far away Yankee state, so I could definitely understand that.

There's definitely a lot of economic hurt here - but the people here seem to have ways to cope with it better than in other places. Regular dancing in the streets helps.

I want to dance in the streets.:razz:

I've only ever met one person who didn't like it here. He moved here just after Katrina from some far away Yankee state, so I could definitely understand that.

There's definitely a lot of economic hurt here - but the people here seem to have ways to cope with it better than in other places. Regular dancing in the streets helps.

If you ever visit the city, ask someone where the next 2nd line is. There's one every Sunday except in the dead of summer. You can BYOB or buy it from the unlicensed vendors that follow the parade.

If you ever visit the city, ask someone where the next 2nd line is. There's one every Sunday except in the dead of summer. You can BYOB or buy it from the unlicensed vendors that follow the parade.

My friend said you can pretty much drink anywhere in New Orleans.

orlando.jpg

that doesn't look mirerable to me.

I think they over scored housing price changes. Many of those places had huge bubbles, so when the bubbles burst, they took a lot of hurt.

It actually seems to be a case where this is the list of places hardest hit by the recession, after flying highest before hand.

Many of them are also tourist places as well. Folks aren't doing big vacations anymore.

I think they over scored housing price changes. Many of those places had huge bubbles, so when the bubbles burst, they took a lot of hurt.

It actually seems to be a case where this is the list of places hardest hit by the recession, after flying highest before hand.

Many of them are also tourist places as well. Folks aren't doing big vacations anymore.

I think you just nailed it.

and the booze and government checks helps to:doubt: !!

I was there for 7 years total. Four for undergrad at Tulane and then I went back to Tulane in July '05 to take my pre-med requirements. Even with Katrina, I loved it down there. I would love to return down there to do my residency. Great, great city.

My friend said you can pretty much drink anywhere in New Orleans.

The only no-no is taking a glass container outside. So every bar has a "to go cup".

But yeah, anytime, anyplace, anywhere.

I've always wanted to go to New Orleans, a friend of mine is from Baton Rouge and he goes there all the time. From what he told me that place is a blast, only a nun or an Islamist with a beard would be miserable with all that booze and fine ladies.

It's a great city. Lord knows, it has it's problems, but there is no where else like it in the United States. You can't say that about many places. Maybe NYC, San Fran, LA, Chicago, after that, the cities all just start to blur together.

San Francisco and LA are nice but way too expensive man, some of these clubs have dress codes that require you to dress like you are going for a job interview and a $30 entrance fee, and than they have the nerve not to serve Hennessy.:evil: I was denied entrance to a club in Sacramento because I was wearing a blue plad shirt and the guy told me thats a shirt worn by a local Crips gang there, fuck that. Down south you can have a lot of fun and its easy on your wallet. I would put New Orleans over any city in California, hands down.

I haven't spent a lot of time in Cali, but dress codes for bars and clubs are generally unheard of in NOLA. Come as you are. There might be a few places, but mostly no one cares. It ain't the "Big Easy" for nothing.

Where there are dress codes are restaurants. But the food at Brightsens or Commanders is worth putting a tie and jacket on for.

As you can tell, I am a little nostalgic.

It's a great city. Lord knows, it has it's problems, but there is no where else like it in the United States. You can't say that about many places. Maybe NYC, San Fran, LA, Chicago, after that, the cities all just start to blur together.

San Francisco and LA are nice but way too expensive man, some of these clubs have dress codes that require you to dress like you are going for a job interview and a $30 entrance fee, and than they have the nerve not to serve Hennessy.:evil: I was denied entrance to a club in Sacramento because I was wearing a blue plad shirt and the guy told me thats a shirt worn by a local Crips gang there, fuck that. Down south you can have a lot of fun and its easy on your wallet. I would put New Orleans over any city in California, hands down.

Oh yeah, I had to laugh at your "too expensive" comment. There is a *somewhat famous* local bar called Ms. Maes in New Orleans. It's a total dive bar, but Mae who will sit in the bar from time to time, fancies it as a classy drinking establishment. She almost booted me out a few times for cussing too loud in front of her card club (I imagine). At any rate, the bar is known for it's "dollar well drinks".

Recently, Mae sold out and there was a near riot because the drink prices went up to.... $2.

Drink prices go up at Ms. Mae's bar in New Orleans | NOLA.com

Of course, they are making them with the cheapest booze in the bottle, so you will be hung-the-fuck-over the next day.

I can't believe Vegas, Miami and New Orleans are on this list.

New Orleans is still recovering from Katrina. Las Vegas has a high mortgage default rate because it had a very high home ownership rate among low income workers, always has. Miami I can't explain off the top of my head, but high Hispanic ares were hit harder by the defaults.

Color me stunned. I thought for sure Detroit would be #1.

The most miserable cities in America, according to Brookings, of course! The think tank combined every major U.S. city's unemployment rate, level of employment, gross metropolitan product and housing prices to create an index of utter wretchedness.

Read more: The Most Miserable Cities In America
Wow - they could have just asked people if they were miserable or happy? Seems a like more direct to do it that way! I live in the supposedly #20 most miserable city, and sorry, I'm not miserable. I can drink in the streets, go to LSU games just down the road on Saturdays, and 2nd line on Sundays - hard to be miserable. Plus living here has the added benefit that friends and family are always visiting.

I actually live in one of the cities on that list (SF) and don't think it deserves to be there either. It could be better, but I could name 20 cities worse than it without trying.

Color me stunned. I thought for sure Detroit would be #1.

The most miserable cities in America, according to Brookings, of course! The think tank combined every major U.S. city's unemployment rate, level of employment, gross metropolitan product and housing prices to create an index of utter wretchedness.

Read more: The Most Miserable Cities In America
Wow - they could have just asked people if they were miserable or happy? Seems a like more direct to do it that way! I live in the supposedly #20 most miserable city, and sorry, I'm not miserable. I can drink in the streets, go to LSU games just down the road on Saturdays, and 2nd line on Sundays - hard to be miserable. Plus living here has the added benefit that friends and family are always visiting.

I actually live in one of the cities on that list (SF) and don't think it deserves to be there either. It could be better, but I could name 20 cities worse than it without trying.

“Times are not good here. The city is crumbling into ashes. It has been buried under taxes and frauds and maladministraions so that it has become a study for archaeologists...but it is better to live here in sackcloth and ashes than to own the whole state of Ohio.”
― Lafcadio Hearn on New Orleans ca. 1877, "Inventing New Orleans: Writings of Lafcadio Hearn"

Forum List

Back