The Most Miserable Cities In America

orlando.jpg

And the trend seems to be the cities that rely most on tourism would have the worst numbers when the economy is bad.

I love how the picture of New Orleans is of the "Red Dress Run" with the dude passed out on the sidewalk. Those of us who love the city simply will continue to not give a damn about what other people think and live our lives in the NOLA way (when we get back there).

Color me stunned. I thought for sure Detroit would be #1.

The most miserable cities in America, according to Brookings, of course! The think tank combined every major U.S. city's unemployment rate, level of employment, gross metropolitan product and housing prices to create an index of utter wretchedness.

Read more: The Most Miserable Cities In America

Wow - they could have just asked people if they were miserable or happy? Seems a like more direct to do it that way! I live in the supposedly #20 most miserable city, and sorry, I'm not miserable. I can drink in the streets, go to LSU games just down the road on Saturdays, and 2nd line on Sundays - hard to be miserable. Plus living here has the added benefit that friends and family are always visiting.

And the trend seems to be the cities that rely most on tourism would have the worst numbers when the economy is bad.

I love how the picture of New Orleans is of the "Red Dress Run" with the dude passed out on the sidewalk. Those of us who love the city simply will continue to not give a damn about what other people think and live our lives in the NOLA way (when we get back there).

I've always wanted to go to New Orleans, a friend of mine is from Baton Rouge and he goes there all the time. From what he told me that place is a blast, only a nun or an Islamist with a beard would be miserable with all that booze and fine ladies.

With the weather and recreational attactions that they enjoy, I can't imagine any city in either CA or FL making that list.

Curious about their methodology.

Are populations increasing or decreasing in each of the cities listed? Is each city such a miserable place that the outward migration exceeds any inward migration?

No mention of any satisfaction among the denizens.

I have only a limited experience with two of those cities. I have family in the Fresno area and lived nearby for a number of years. Unless one was involved in local agriculture I never could understand why anyone would live there.

I've always wanted to go to New Orleans, a friend of mine is from Baton Rouge and he goes there all the time. From what he told me that place is a blast, only a nun or an Islamist with a beard would be miserable with all that booze and fine ladies.

It's a great city. Lord knows, it has it's problems, but there is no where else like it in the United States. You can't say that about many places. Maybe NYC, San Fran, LA, Chicago, after that, the cities all just start to blur together.

I've only ever met one person who didn't like it here. He moved here just after Katrina from some far away Yankee state, so I could definitely understand that.

There's definitely a lot of economic hurt here - but the people here seem to have ways to cope with it better than in other places. Regular dancing in the streets helps.

Color me stunned. I thought for sure Detroit would be #1.

8 of them are in CA, and 7 in FL.

Interesting.

Not sure why Florida is on there but California has an unemployment rate through the roof combined with a very very high cost of living, can't say that I am surprised so many cities there are on that list.

Both are victims of massive build outs of speculative real estate fueled by the government's program to dupe everyone into owning a home, regardless of whether or not they could afford the mortgage.

It's a great city. Lord knows, it has it's problems, but there is no where else like it in the United States. You can't say that about many places. Maybe NYC, San Fran, LA, Chicago, after that, the cities all just start to blur together.

San Francisco and LA are nice but way too expensive man, some of these clubs have dress codes that require you to dress like you are going for a job interview and a $30 entrance fee, and than they have the nerve not to serve Hennessy.:evil: I was denied entrance to a club in Sacramento because I was wearing a blue plad shirt and the guy told me thats a shirt worn by a local Crips gang there, fuck that. Down south you can have a lot of fun and its easy on your wallet. I would put New Orleans over any city in California, hands down.

New Topics

Forum List

Back