The Moonbats Of The 9th Circuit

MissileMan said:
There are several details I would like to know. For instance, what was the objective listed on the lesson plan? What kind of time was devoted to other cultures throughout the school year and how was it presented? Where did this instructional guide come from? What is the background of this teacher? Was this particular lesson plan approved by the local school board? I would like to know those things before I would say something's amiss.

I made the assumption that it was more than likely innocent because I believe any damning details like the teacher was Muslim, or had used a non-approved lesson plan in the past would have been included in the original article.

Lesson plans are not 'approved', where did you get that idea? Teachers are given their curriculum and then they are to implement the lessons to get the knowledge through the kid's heads. Trust me, easier said than done.

Maybe it's because I DO teach this that I am certain there is no logical/approved rationale for spending 3 weeks immersed in anything at the age level. As I said days ago, we live in the US, perhaps the most important reason for public schooling being mandatory is civics. The Constitution, federal and state, takes about 3 weeks. You really think a 'culture' should be equal length?

Kathianne said:
Lesson plans are not 'approved', where did you get that idea? Teachers are given their curriculum and then they are to implement the lessons to get the knowledge through the kid's heads. Trust me, easier said than done.
I was not aware that lesson plans were not approved...throughout my career in the military they were and I figured there would be a similar arrangement in any teaching environment.
When you say curriculum, do you mean objectives?

Kathianne said:
Maybe it's because I DO teach this that I am certain there is no logical/approved rationale for spending 3 weeks immersed in anything at the age level. As I said days ago, we live in the US, perhaps the most important reason for public schooling being mandatory is civics. The Constitution, federal and state, takes about 3 weeks. You really think a 'culture' should be equal length?

I only have my own high-school education to use as a reference. I remember U.S. government being a semester-long elective. I guess things have changed considerably.

MissileMan said:
I was not aware that lesson plans were not approved...throughout my career in the military they were and I figured there would be a similar arrangement in any teaching environment.
When you say curriculum, do you mean objectives?

I only have my own high-school education to use as a reference. I remember U.S. government being a semester-long elective. I guess things have changed considerably.

No. The curriculum today is standards based, so each district must align to the state standards. They can go beyond, but must hit each thread of the standard within each unit.

I guess that's my point. It seems natural that Islam would fall within Mesopotamia, because Persia per se is not taught in Middle School for culture. Now to do that, you have to leave 'ancient' times and forward to another epoch, which I do by tying 'current events' and Ancient Mesopotamia together. I would be very interested to know how so could devote 3 weeks to Islam, how she is getting to family, industries, other minorities/religions, what preceded Islam religion, Tigris and Eurphrates, Hammurabi, etc. Whether being done as 'ancient' or 'current' 3 weeks on Islam is incomprehensible.

Kathianne said:
No. The curriculum today is standards based, so each district must align to the state standards. They can go beyond, but must hit each thread of the standard within each unit.

I guess that's my point. It seems natural that Islam would fall within Mesopotamia, because Persia per se is not taught in Middle School for culture. Now to do that, you have to leave 'ancient' times and forward to another epoch, which I do by tying 'current events' and Ancient Mesopotamia together. I would be very interested to know how so could devote 3 weeks to Islam, how she is getting to family, industries, other minorities/religions, what preceded Islam religion, Tigris and Eurphrates, Hammurabi, etc. Whether being done as 'ancient' or 'current' 3 weeks on Islam is incomprehensible.

I think you and I are using two different terms for the same thing, standard and objective. For instance, the standard or objective of 9th grade history is to teach world history from the dark ages through the Civil War. The standards or objectives are broken down further to what things within that period must be taught...Spanish Inquisistion, War of 1812, etc., etc.

Do I assume correctly that any time left over after the mandatory standards have been met can be used at the teachers discretion?

MissileMan said:
I think you and I are using two different terms for the same thing, standard and objective. For instance, the standard or objective of 9th grade history is to teach world history from the dark ages through the Civil War. The standards or objectives are broken down further to what things within that period must be taught...Spanish Inquisistion, War of 1812, etc., etc.

Do I assume correctly that any time left over after the mandatory standards have been met can be used at the teachers discretion?
Nope, every lesson plan must have a goal and objective. The goal is what the kids will know. The objective is how they will demonstrate that learning. Both of these are based on the standards for the curriculum. Does that mean every lesson will teach every standard? No. Not even every chapter. But each lesson should cover at least one strand of the standards.
The standards have nothing to do with particular areas of study-War of 1812 or Ancient Mesopotamia. Rather they are on the underlying essential knowledge of the discipline. Here's an example:

STATE GOAL 16: Understand events, trends, individuals and movements shaping the history of Illinois, the United States and other nations.
Why This Goal Is Important: George Santayana said "those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." In a broader sense, students who can examine and analyze the events of the past have a powerful tool for understanding the events of today and the future. They develop an understanding of how people, nations, actions and interactions have led to today's realities. In the process, they can better define their own roles as participating citizens.

HISTORICAL ERAS
Local, State and United States History (US)
• Early history in the Americas to 1620
• Colonial history and settlement to 1763
• The American Revolution and early national period to 1820s
• National expansion from 1815 to 1850
• The Civil War and Reconstruction from 1850 to 1877
• Development of the industrial United States from 1865 to 1914
• The emergence of the United States as a world power from 1890 to 1920
• Prosperity, depression, the New Deal and World War II from 1920 to 1945
• Post World War II and the Cold War from 1945 to 1968
• Contemporary United States from 1968 to present

World History (W)
• Prehistory to 2000 BCE
• Early civilizations, nonwestern empires, and tropical civilizations
• The rise of pastoral peoples to 1000 BCE
• Classical civilizations from 1000 BCE to 500 CE
• Fragmentation and interaction of civilizations from 500 to 1100 CE
• Centralization of power in different regions from 1000 to 1500 CE
• Early modern world from 1450 to 1800
• Global unrest, change and revolution from 1750 to 1850
• Global encounters and imperialism and their effects from 1850 to 1914
• The twentieth century to 1945
• The contemporary world from 1945 to the present

She was not teaching 9th grade, but 7th, which is a huge difference. For each of these standards, different strands are added each year, which theoretically should lead to both width and depth of understanding. It's that, which NCLB is built upon.

Kathianne said:
Nope, every lesson plan must have a goal and objective. The goal is what the kids will know. The objective is how they will demonstrate that learning. Both of these are based on the standards for the curriculum. Does that mean every lesson will teach every standard? No. Not even every chapter. But each lesson should cover at least one strand of the standards.
The standards have nothing to do with particular areas of study-War of 1812 or Ancient Mesopotamia. Rather they are on the underlying essential knowledge of the discipline. Here's an example:

She was not teaching 9th grade, but 7th, which is a huge difference. For each of these standards, different strands are added each year, which theoretically should lead to both width and depth of understanding. It's that, which NCLB is built upon.

I was only using 9th grade for my example, I figure the standards are different, but work the same way no matter which grade is being taught.

I also get that the state tells you what you must teach, but doesn't dictate how it is taught. Is there no approval system at any level for the lesson plans that teachers are going to use to meet these standards?

What are the rules for any leftover time that comes up after meeting the goal?

MissileMan said:
I was only using 9th grade for my example, I figure the standards are different, but work the same way no matter which grade is being taught.

I also get that the state tells you what you must teach, but doesn't dictate how it is taught. Is there no approval system at any level for the lesson plans that teachers are going to use to meet these standards?

Nope that's the beauty of education! Unless there is a brouhaha like this, no one really looks at your lesson plans. The principal will glance at them at an observation, maybe 3 times in 7 years. Of course we hand them in at the end of the year. I'm sure every principal or department chair goes home and reads all the teachers plans over the summer. NOT!

There really isn't 'left over time.' Consider 6th grade-ancient history. The kids no zip about it, no base of knowledge. We cover:

Historical reasearch
Map reading
Continents
Prehistory
Mesopotamia
Egypt
India
China
Greece
Ancient Rome
Middle Ages
Crusades
Renaissance
Reformation
Age of Exploration
Empires of the Americas

MissileMan said:

Sorry to do two, but for the differences on 7th and 9th would be 'base of knowledge.'

My 6th grade subject is probably hers, though she may be teaching it as 'world studies' meaning current time. We do ancient and tie it to today. In either case, in Middle School it's all 'new' to them. 9th assumes they have a base to build upon. So the teacher might be able to do more in depth.

There is no way to spend 3 weeks on any one RELIGION, as too many necessary parts are going to be overlooked in other areas.

Kathianne said:
Sorry to do two, but for the differences on 7th and 9th would be 'base of knowledge.'

My 6th grade subject is probably hers, though she may be teaching it as 'world studies' meaning current time. We do ancient and tie it to today. In either case, in Middle School it's all 'new' to them. 9th assumes they have a base to build upon. So the teacher might be able to do more in depth.

There is no way to spend 3 weeks on any one RELIGION, as too many necessary parts are going to be overlooked in other areas.

A real eye opener, thanks.

I always assumed at least school-level oversight of what was happening in the classrooms. I also assumed this oversight would be proactive, not reactive. If you wait until the end of the year to figure out a teacher's lesson plan falls short, it's too late to fix it.

MissileMan said:
A real eye opener, thanks.

I always assumed at least school-level oversight of what was happening in the classrooms. I also assumed this oversight would be proactive, not reactive. If you wait until the end of the year to figure out a teacher's lesson plan falls short, it's too late to fix it.

You're welcome. :thup: But now you see where I have to wonder what she was doing. I do think someone is looking at her lesson plans for those weeks! :teeth:

9TH U.S. CIRCUIT COURT OF APPEALS ANNOUNCES IT IS IN CHARGE OF DETERMINING NATIONAL INTERESTS
June 12, 2017

Daniel Greenfield
170206trumptweet.jpg

The Judicial coup against democracy rolls on. The 9th Circuit Court of Appeals announced with its latest ruling that it has the powers of the executive branch. To understand how insane the latest illegal and unconstitutional judicial effort to block common sense migration reform is, here are the powers that the 9th has decided it possesses.

No, it does not. It certainly does not require that the 9th Circuit make policy in regard to whether bringing Syrians to America is detrimental to the national interest. That's judicial supremacism. The judicial branch does not have the supreme authority to determine policy or national interest.

But here the 9th tries to launch its coup.

Judicial supremacism has been chipping away at government by the people for over a century. If this coup succeeds, then elected government becomes meaningless. All meaningful authority will be held by the courts. Elections will become a hollow circus. And then America ceases to exist.

9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals Announces It Is In Charge of Determining National Interests

C4W3OazUcAErQWI.jpg

kangaroo-judges_2.jpg

The result of california air...

Forum List

Back