The Manufactured Crisis of Police Racism

What should really concern people is the criminality in the black population.

Every year, American police officers have about 370 million contacts with civilians. Most of the time nothing happens, but 12 to 13 million times a year, the police make an arrest. How often does this lead to the death of an unarmed black person? We know the number thanks to a detailed Washington Post database of every killing by the police. What is your guess as to the number of unarmed blacks killed by the police every year? One hundred? Three hundred? Last year, the figure was nine.

That number is going down, not up. In 2015, police killed 38 unarmed blacks. In 2017, 21. What about white people? Last year, police killed 19 unarmed whites, in addition to the 9 unarmed blacks. We know the number of black and white people arrested every year, so it is possible to make an interesting calculation. The chances of being unarmed, arrested, and then killed by the police are higher for whites than for blacks. For both races, it’s very rare: One out of 292,000 arrests for blacks, and out of 283,000 arrests for whites. This is hardly what we would expect from the way the media report these deaths.

What about the people the police kill who are armed?

Since 2015, when the Post began tracking these numbers, the police have killed about 1,000 people a year. Every year, about one quarter of them are black. This is about twice their share of the population, which is 13 percent. Is this proof of police racism? No. The more likely explanation is that blacks are more likely than whites to act in violent, aggressive ways that give the police no choice but to shoot them. In 2018, the most recent year for which we have statistics, blacks accounted for 37 percent of all arrests for violent crimes, 54 percent of all arrests for robbery, and 53 percent of arrests for murder. With so many blacks involved in this kind of violent crime, that blacks should account for 25 percent of the people killed by the police seem like a surprisingly low figure.

Population.jpg

Roland Fryer is a black economist, and the youngest person ever to get tenure at Harvard. He was angry after the deaths of Michael Brown and Freddie Gray, so he did his own research on the use of deadly force by police in 10 big-city police departments police killing. His detailed study of 1,332 police shootings — in which he carefully compared the circumstances of each killing — found no evidence of police bias. If anything, police were more likely to shoot at non-threatening whites than at non-threatening blacks. He said, this was “the most surprising research result of my career.”

the real problem with the police is militarization not racism,,,

I don't buy that either. If you engage in a physical confrontation with police, you have a even chance of being killed.

The number of police caused deaths, is directly in proportion to the number of violent criminals they confront. All the research shows this.

And it is not super hard to understand. If you as a police officer, believe you are coming up on someone potentially violent, you are more likely to respond with violence.
thats all true,,,but the militarization exists beyond whats needed to get the job done,,,not to mention they are more likely to shoot at the drop of a hat when it isnt needed,,,I can post dozens of videos of them killing people instead of helping them which was why they were called out there,,,and entering the wrong house and killing the occupants,,,

in floyds case there was no reason to pull him from the car and 4 people hold him down for 9 mins 3 of which he was dead,,,,
and also I think race had nothing to do with what or why they did it,,,
Do you have evidence none of us have seen yet?
You sound like one of the mob who have declared themselves judge and jury. More Ox-Bow bullshit.

Black males need to remember WHO it is that is bringing the cops to them !
The people I talk to who have been around the rioters, say they are like 90% whites, not blacks.

Blacks that live in the area have more sense than that.

The people I talk to who have been around the rioters, say they are like 90% whites, not blacks.

Well then.... maybe those blacks should call the police....

Screenshot_2020-06-07 AP_20155797919243-crop jpg (WEBP Image, 990 × 556 pixels).png

Well crap! I guess those black people should have thought about their position a bit more.
Guess they just have to deal with rioters and looters and arsonists themselves.

1. There is NO systemic police racism against ethnicity X.

2. BUT since cops are human beings, they do become fatigued with the senseless violence committed by a rather large percentage of that ethnicity's youth.

3. Put yourself in a street cop's place: Day after day or night after night, you meet the most defiant people you can imagine. What's worse, you know some (many?) of those people are armed. It's pretty darn hard to take that kind of blank day in and day out without occasionally blowing up.

4. I suggest that every cop on the mean streets of certain cities be given a month's paid leave every year. Then s/he can return recharged.

5. This whole situation in our country is intractable,

a. Those defiant young gentlemen are NEVER going to change.
b. The powers-that-be will punish a few more cops such as the one in the Floyd case.
c. More cops will report fellow officers who cross the line.
d. Cops will continue the trend of turning a blind eye to "minor" crimes.
e. More cops will be non-Caucasians.
f. And again, like clockwork, there will be another ugly incident and more marches and more riots and more promises from the politicians.

That's America.

Democrats are rioting because they know they're gonna lose the elections. Closer we get to November, more desperate they get, and to desperate people, everything they do seems logical. If that is burning burning the country down, they'll do it.

Back in 2016, 340,000 people voted in Philadelphia county democratic primary. Last Tuesday, only 110,000 people voted in that same primary. Democrats have to riot, because blacks are not showing up for Joe. Instead of getting record numbers for Joe, as they were planning on, they can't even get Hillary's numbers.

Every year, American police officers have about 370 million contacts with civilians. Most of the time nothing happens, but 12 to 13 million times a year, the police make an arrest. How often does this lead to the death of an unarmed black person? We know the number thanks to a detailed Washington Post database of every killing by the police. What is your guess as to the number of unarmed blacks killed by the police every year? One hundred? Three hundred? Last year, the figure was nine.

That number is going down, not up. In 2015, police killed 38 unarmed blacks. In 2017, 21. What about white people? Last year, police killed 19 unarmed whites, in addition to the 9 unarmed blacks. We know the number of black and white people arrested every year, so it is possible to make an interesting calculation. The chances of being unarmed, arrested, and then killed by the police are higher for whites than for blacks. For both races, it’s very rare: One out of 292,000 arrests for blacks, and out of 283,000 arrests for whites. This is hardly what we would expect from the way the media report these deaths.

Since 2015, when the Post began tracking these numbers, the police have killed about 1,000 people a year. Every year, about one quarter of them are black. This is about twice their share of the population, which is 13 percent. Is this proof of police racism? No. The more likely explanation is that blacks are more likely than whites to act in violent, aggressive ways that give the police no choice but to shoot them. In 2018, the most recent year for which we have statistics, blacks accounted for 37 percent of all arrests for violent crimes, 54 percent of all arrests for robbery, and 53 percent of arrests for murder. With so many blacks involved in this kind of violent crime, that blacks should account for 25 percent of the people killed by the police seem like a surprisingly low figure.

Population.jpg

Roland Fryer is a black economist, and the youngest person ever to get tenure at Harvard. He was angry after the deaths of Michael Brown and Freddie Gray, so he did his own research on the use of deadly force by police in 10 big-city police departments police killing. His detailed study of 1,332 police shootings — in which he carefully compared the circumstances of each killing — found no evidence of police bias. If anything, police were more likely to shoot at non-threatening whites than at non-threatening blacks. He said, this was “the most surprising research result of my career.”

This has never been about police racism. That was just a ruse to turn it into another Ant-Trump whine! Love your post I'm printing the Harvard stats.

Thank you, excalibur, for posting this! I just came here to do so, myself. Of course, this won't change any hearts. The comments are as interesting and eye-opening as the article. One comment:

"Sure, the death of this black man was a trigger. But the reality is that it is, in large part, due to the coronavirus shutdown, as more people are at home, with nothing better to do."

1. There is NO systemic police racism against ethnicity X.

2. BUT since cops are human beings, they do become fatigued with the senseless violence committed by a rather large percentage of that ethnicity's youth.

3. Put yourself in a street cop's place: Day after day or night after night, you meet the most defiant people you can imagine. What's worse, you know some (many?) of those people are armed. It's pretty darn hard to take that kind of blank day in and day out without occasionally blowing up.

4. I suggest that every cop on the mean streets of certain cities be given a month's paid leave every year. Then s/he can return recharged.

5. This whole situation in our country is intractable,

a. Those defiant young gentlemen are NEVER going to change.
b. The powers-that-be will punish a few more cops such as the one in the Floyd case.
c. More cops will report fellow officers who cross the line.
d. Cops will continue the trend of turning a blind eye to "minor" crimes.
e. More cops will be non-Caucasians.
f. And again, like clockwork, there will be another ugly incident and more marches and more riots and more promises from the politicians.

That's America.
Exactly spot on! Democrats and George Soros have turned it into Anti-Trump rant!

Population.jpg

I don't agree at all.

The one issue that I disagree on is the tendency of police to randomly stop minorities. I have quite a few Black and Hispanic friends and EVERY ONE has told me they have been randomly stopped over something like "illegal lane change" or speeding 4 or 5 miles per hour over or some other flimsy reason. One friend is a big Hispanic dude and he said he has been stopped over 20 times! He also happens to be an engineering manager with 200 people working for him.

I don't know about you guys but In over 40 years of driving I have never been randomly stopped. That can't be coincidence. So I can see some changes in training and procedures and getting bad cops behind a desk and off the street.

But for real, give Cops a break! They are just being crucified in the Media and we are setting ourselves up for some real bad times if we have mass resignations. Nobody wants to be a cop now, how will they backfill? Do you want to see chaos reign in these big Democrat cities? Just keep up the attacks and this ridiculous "Defund Police" bullshit. Be careful what you wish for because you just might get it.
I am a fair-skinned white woman who was stopped last year for exceeding the speed limit by 5 miles. I was going 30 miles an hour in a 25 mph zone. He didn't ticket me. A small town where the speed limit changes every time you turn your head. The result of that incident and the polite policeman has made me pay much more attention to the speed limit, not only in general but especially in small tourist towns. I do typically exceed the speed limit on the highway by 5 miles in good weather and have never been pulled over.

The one issue that I disagree on is the tendency of police to randomly stop minorities. I have quite a few Black and Hispanic friends and EVERY ONE has told me they have been randomly stopped over something like "illegal lane change" or speeding 4 or 5 miles per hour over or some other flimsy reason. One friend is a big Hispanic dude and he said he has been stopped over 20 times! He also happens to be an engineering manager with 200 people working for him.

I don't know about you guys but In over 40 years of driving I have never been randomly stopped. That can't be coincidence. So I can see some changes in training and procedures and getting bad cops behind a desk and off the street.

But for real, give Cops a break! They are just being crucified in the Media and we are setting ourselves up for some real bad times if we have mass resignations. Nobody wants to be a cop now, how will they backfill? Do you want to see chaos reign in these big Democrat cities? Just keep up the attacks and this ridiculous "Defund Police" bullshit. Be careful what you wish for because you just might get it.

I agree with you about everything except that this will cause mass resignations. Or that the "Defund Police" idea is necessarily ridiculous. Although crime has been steadily decreasing, police funding and police force size has been increasing everywhere for decades. The "Defund Police" argument (which is a horrible name for it--they should think of something less drastic sounding) is that some of that money instead be used to fund programs hat would PREVENT crime to begin with. Every city has a tight budget. They have to rob Peter to pay Paul. It's how all budgets go. The defund police movement is simply saying the police gets a bigger share of the pie than is necessary.. I think that would have to be determined on a department by department basis. And if a city were rich enough to fund both without problems, that would be even better.

No one denies that there are destructive forces in the inner cities like gangs, high gun homicide and crime rates. Families are discouraged if you need assistance. There is nothing simple or easy about turning any of this around, and it will take a long time, but the black community is asking for a chance to clean up its house. Just like birth control prevents unplanned pregnancies and abortions, community programs to foster stability and positive values in their youth would prevent a lot of unwanted crime.

Make any sense to you?

I suggest that every cop on the mean streets of certain cities be given a month's paid leave every year. Then s/he can return recharged.
Or reassigned -- one year in the tough neighborhoods, one year "uptown" or in a quiet residential area. Sure it plays into it. But if the minority community WANTS to clean its own house and is asking for some funding to do that by instituting programs that save kids from taking to the streets and that fosters economic growth and stability in their communities we should find a way to provide it. Crime prevention via increased policing is NOT solving the problem, is it? Not according to Chicago, it's not.

Population.jpg

I don't agree at all.
why???

This has never been about police racism. That was just a ruse to turn it into another Ant-Trump whine! Love your post I'm printing the Harvard stats.

The guy from Harvard did a great service to America, except after briefly touching on it when it first came out the MSM has since ignored it. If we actually had a free-press this would have been front-and-center during this foolishness to place things in perspective.

The guy from Harvard did a great service to America, except after briefly touching on it when it first came out the MSM has since ignored it. If we actually had a free-press this would have been front-and-center during this foolishness to place things in perspective.
No perspective is sought by liberals.
They want it to be illegal if your fact statements do not match their wishes or feelings. That’s compliance,not perspective

The rioters are white, likely antifa (sic), the looters are black.

I'm not referring to these latest riots, I'm talking about the broader picture of why blacks have so many bad experiences with the police.

I don't have a problem with cops. Is it because I'm white, or is it because my behavior lessens the chances of having encounters with cops in the first place ?

Forum List

Back