The Mainstreaming of Hamas

P F Tinmore

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
One of the least-noticed consequences of the Arab Spring might be called the “mainstreaming of Hamas.” The chief of the Palestinian party and militia, which the West knows chiefly for its suicide attacks on Israel, has declared repeatedly that it has decided to set aside violent resistance and, in the spirit of the Arab Spring, concentrate on demonstrations and other nonviolent methods. Nominally committed to the eradication of the Jewish State, Hamas now supports a negotiated peace agreement based on 1967 borders and – without renouncing the option to pick up arms in the future – vows to give Palestinian moderate leader Mahmoud Abbas the running room to see what talks can produce, according to Khaled Mashaal, chief of the group’s political office.

Popular protests pack “the power of a tsunami,” Mashaal said just before Christmas in Cairo, where he was meeting with the leaders other Palestinian factions under the guiding hand of Egypt. “Now we have a common ground that we can work on, the popular resistance, which represents the power of people.”

It was a remarkable statement from a group that has embodied armed resistance against Israel. Mahdi Abdul Hadi, a respected East Jerusalem analyst who speaks with Mashaal, says Hamas is falling into line both with the spirit of the Arab Awakening, as he prefers to call it, and with the desires of Egypt’s new government, which is dominated by the Muslim Brotherhood, the Islamist movement Hamas grew out of.

“You are seeing a new chapter of political Islam. I call it reformist,” says Abdul Hadi, whose think tank is the Palestinian Academic Society for the Study of International Affairs, or PASSIA. “This wave of reformists are talking about a civil state, not a religious state. They’re talking about democracy. They’re talking about sharing power….

Read more: Hamas and Fatah Unity Deal: Are the Islamists Becoming More Mainstream? | Global Spin | TIME.com

Well good for them , I hope it sticks ...

However it's strange that he is saying that he is doing that in the spirit of the Arab spring , as the Arab spring was pretty violent ...

I am thankful P.F. Tinmore brings up the Arab Spring. Muslim terrorists killing Muslim terrorists in record numbers within their own countries. What greater contribution to peace, mankind & civilization? LONG LIVE THE ARAB SPRING!

lol how is a terrorist organization supposed to go "main stream"? are they going on a reality show like the Jersey Shore or something?

lol how is a terrorist organization supposed to go "main stream"? are they going on a reality show like the Jersey Shore or something?
Who knows , maybe they figured out that their previous tactic of banging their head against the wall until they get what they want while blaming Israel for all of their problems is not very effective:banghead:
Although I doubt it ...

I'm a bit confused about the whole Arab spring thing ...
Do Arabs support it , or not ?

Who knows , maybe they figured out that their previous tactic of banging their head against the wall until they get what they want while blaming Israel for all of their problems is not very effective:banghead:
Although I doubt it ...

I'm a bit confused about the whole Arab spring thing ...
Do Arabs support it , or not ?

Times change. The Hamas strategy has been moving toward non violence for several years.

As I said , let's see if it sticks or is it just a PR stunt...

Hamas did stop suicide bombing about 6 years ago. They have been holding a one sided ceasefire with Israel for most of the last 6 years. One sided because Israel continues its attacks.

They have been holding a one sided ceasefire with Israel for most of the last 6 years.
LOL ! When you lie you should at least try to conceal it ... this is just a blunt lie.
Yesterday a Quassam rocket was launched in the direction of Ashkelon.
Sunday another rocket have been launched in the direction of Ashkelon.
Five days ago , another rocket.
And so on ...
Since 2006 (last 6 years) over 4000 rockets were fired at Israel, that's about 2 rockets a day every day for 6 years ...
One sided ceasefire ... really ?
Hamas did stop suicide bombing about 6 years ago.
And It has nothing to do with all the checkpoints and heightened security measures Israel is taking , right ?

They have been holding a one sided ceasefire with Israel for most of the last 6 years.
LOL ! When you lie you should at least try to conceal it ... this is just a blunt lie.
Yesterday a Quassam rocket was launched in the direction of Ashkelon.
Sunday another rocket have been launched in the direction of Ashkelon.
Five days ago , another rocket.
And so on ...
Since 2006 (last 6 years) over 4000 rockets were fired at Israel, that's about 2 rockets a day every day for 6 years ...
One sided ceasefire ... really ?
Hamas did stop suicide bombing about 6 years ago.
And It has nothing to do with all the checkpoints and heightened security measures Israel is taking , right ?

How many of those were launched by Hamas?

Oh ... I have the perfect picture for this!

are-you-serious%5B1%5D.jpg

Hamas is the governing authority of Gaza(They won an election and everything), any and all military actions taken by Gaza is the responsibility of the Hamas.
If you are asking how many rockets Khaled Meshaal lunched personally,I have no clue nor does it matter ...

Hamas is the governing authority of Gaza(They won an election and everything), any and all military actions taken by Gaza is the responsibility of the Hamas.
If you are asking how many rockets Khaled Meshaal lunched personally,I have no clue nor does it matter ...

The government can only enforce the law. It cannot arrest people who have not broken any law. It is not illegal to resist the occupation. There is nothing they ca do but persuade.

The government can only enforce the law. It cannot arrest people who have not broken any law. It is not illegal to resist the occupation. There is nothing they ca do but persuade.

I'm sorry ... I've been on the message board for about 3 months now I think , and this is defiantly one of the dumbest replies I have seen.
DoubleFacePalm.jpg

Are you serious ?
You claim that the Hamas initiated one sided truce with Israel and that it lasted for the last 6 years.
During that "one sided truce" more then 4000 rockets were launched into Israel (And I don't count any other attacks).
Does 'one sided truce' in Timore language means something else ? Because if it means what the dictionary says it means ... you are one delusional guy ...

I'm sorry ... I've been on the message board for about 3 months now I think , and this is defiantly one of the dumbest replies I have seen.

Are you serious ?
You claim that the Hamas initiated one sided truce with Israel and that it lasted for the last 6 years.
During that "one sided truce" more then 4000 rockets were launched into Israel (And I don't count any other attacks).
Does 'one sided truce' in Timore language means something else ? Because if it means what the dictionary says it means ... you are one delusional guy ...

What is so dumb about the rule of law? Palestine's constitution lays out a set of procedures that must be followed before a citizen can be arrested. Evidence that a person committed a crime is submitted to the court. The court reviews the evidence and decides whether to issue a warrant or not. Without a warrant it is illegal to arrest someone.

No I didn't.

No I didn't.

Lather, rinse and repeat.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQFKtI6gn9Y]Argument Clinic - YouTube[/ame]

^^^ P F ^^^​

Last edited:
Unless Palestinian political dynamics have changed, and I don't see that change, the violent power void created by the "mainstreaming" of Hamas will simply be filled by another gang of peaceful Palestinian hoods [probably a dissatisfied splinter of Hamas]. It has been their M.O. for decades.

No I didn't.

Lather, rinse and repeat.

^^^ P F ^^^​

Me

Wolverine1984

Most? When they chose to honor the ceasefire? When they chose not to honor it they didn't.

That's not a ceasefire. That's a Arab Hudna.

:thup:

That's not a ceasefire. That's an Arab Hudna.

:thup:

Of course that is not true.

But hey, that's just you.

No, that's the Palestinians who sign cease-fires and turn them into Hudnas where they regroup and ready another attack.

The difference between Peace in Islam and the West shows clearly and in Islam a ceasefire is considered a tactical maneuver.

In the Western terms of definition, a ceasefire is considered a cessation of hostilities.

Forum List

Back